The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin 00-17 Authentic 1931 vs Santa Cruz 00 1929

Has anyone played both of these? Mind commenting on how they compare tonally. They're both spectacular looking guitars. I've spent some time with the Martin and loved every minute--the tone is to-die-for and the neck is among the most comfy I've played, and light as a feather (3lbs 2ozs on my scale). But I've not seen the Santa Cruz in person and am a real sucker for a pyramid bridge. I hear the SC neck carve is shaper than the Martin; is this true? Is the SC as light weight as the Martin? How's the tone compare? Thank you!

vs

Last edited by zoopeda; 05-02-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Anyone?

Old 05-03-2019, 04:08 AM

I haven’t played the Martin, but I’ve played the Santa Cruz. I also had a Collings 001mh for 12 years. Even though I let that one go, I think it sounded better than the Santa Cruz one’s I’ve tried. To my ears, the Cruz sounds muddier than the Collings.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 AM

The extra neck width would make the Martin the clear winner for me.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:09 AM

Yea, I've owned the 1929 and the Collings 01Mh. I too preferred the Collings. The Santa Cruz Don Edwards was more of a comparison to the Collings in tone ... Hard to beat the Santa Cruz Mahogany burst for looks though.

I played the Martin once. I too really liked the 1 7/8ths nut - My Collings was 1 13/16ths and the Santa Cruz is even narrower. I went wanting to love the Authentic but of all the "Authentic" models I have played I was most disappointed in the 17 ..... maybe it needed to open up a little or maybe it was not he best individual instrument or maybe it was the other models I played that day - a 000-30 1919 Authentic and a Froggy Bottom H12- but, given the choice on that day, I would have taken home either the Collings or the Don Edwards over the 17 Authentic I played; but don't get me wrong, the Martin Authentic was a very nice guitar, I'm just comparing it to a couple of other really nice guitars.

just .02 ..... I'd play before I bought.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 AM

i own the 1929 000 and kinda thinking of selling it, mostly to keep a handmade woolson hollowbody.

but the 1929 is SUPER light, super playable. The neck is perfect for me. it can get really loud or really quiet, bassy..lacking a bit in the Mids.its a very balanced sound. think of it more like a D28. the 000 size is also really a perfect sized for me ( i'm 5'7 )
Old 05-03-2019, 08:34 AM

I helped a bandmate sell his SC 00 '29. We both felt it lacked sparkle and resonance.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

don't know about the Authentic but I have the real deal....'37 00-17. It's fantastic! Only thing I don't like is ratio of the old tuners. I'm sure the new ones have much better ratios. But I would never change them on mine...keep it stock. The old ones seem to go for about the same price as the two you're looking at. Maybe less if you find a deal. And it would be an appreciating asset.

I was curious about the SC 1929 line. First time I've seen bad reviews. Interesting.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 05-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
don't know about the Authentic but I have the real deal....'37 00-17. It's fantastic!
The Authentic 00-17 is a different guitar than your 1937 00-17. The Authentic is based of a 1931 00-17 that had bar frets and a 12 fret neck. Martin uses T-frets on the Authentic but it is still a 12 fret guitar. I have a 1938 00-17 and it sounds very different than my Authentic 00-17.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I do like a 12 fret. just curious....you say they sound different…..how so? I would expect the 12 fret to be a bit richer.

I had the opportunity to play my 000EC and a 30's 000 worth $40-50k. Couple other people played them as well. the three of us all thought the Clapton held its own. slightly different but both sounded great. But I do like old guitars.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke

Last edited by dadio917; 05-03-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

No question, there's no new guitar that sounds EXACTLY like an old guitar.

I was lucky enough to have regular access to the Martin 00-17A for a little over a week a few months ago. I was blown away. Previously, I never really understood the draw of the 15 series or hog tops in general. But the authentic is so light, resonant, rich, surprisingly loud, comfortable, and just awesome overall. I was recently offered the Martin at dealer wholesale pricing but don't have the cash to spring for it just yet. I'm a sucker for a pyramid bridge too, though, and am especially curious about the tone of this beautiful looking SC.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:01 PM

I own both the Santa Cruz and its very similar "Don Edwards" custom by Santa Cruz.

I've since had the chance to play the Martin at a store.

I prefer both of the Santa Cruz guitars to the Martin.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I own both the Santa Cruz and its very similar "Don Edwards" custom by Santa Cruz.

I've since had the chance to play the Martin at a store.

I prefer both of the Santa Cruz guitars to the Martin.
Thanks for your input, Songwriter. Not many folks have had a chance to play both. Can I ask, what do you like better about the SC. I'm specifically interested in tone since I love the neck and aesthetic of the Martin, but curious on your take.
PS- the Don Edwards is beautiful as well!

Old 05-04-2019, 03:56 PM

The two Santa Cruz guitars just have more "reverb" or "harmonics" to them. The Martin just sounded "lifeless" compared to them. But bear in mind I only played it for a minute or so. But I've played many other guitars in that acoustic room at a high-end guitar store and have heard much better (including some other Martin Authentics).

You'd think I could get rid of one of the two Santa Cruz all-mahogany guitars. But they're really different. The "00-1929" sounds better than the Don Edwards when it's strummed. The strings just blend together better, if that makes any sense.

The Don Edwards, on the other hand, sounds better when notes are struck individually.

I've got a 00-sized Martin all-mahogany (all sinker mahogany) that I like, too.

It'd be interesting to get all four of those guitars strung up with the same strings (I like the Martin Retro's in 12's) and recorded with somebody good playing the same thing (a bit of strumming and a bit of finger-picking) on all of them.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 PM

I love both my Martin and my SCGC guitars But this may be the most ridiculous comparison between two instruments I have ever seen on this Forum.
The SC is played softly and the microphone is well aft and away from the soundhole/12th fret. the "Attack " is light and and soft.
The Martin is played in a much more "Determined" style and the mic is much closer to the soundhole and the 12th fret of the instrument.....where any decent sound guy would place it.
Both are fine guitars but asking for us to make a comparison is absurd.
I know both instruments well and have played several of both models both at well known guitar shops and in my own music room.....IMHO this example of SCGC Versus Martin is not in the least an accurate representation.
I listened to both videos through Bose headphones.
No question the Martin sounds richer in this post.....but in person I promise you the advantage goes to the SC.
One should Never make a buying decision based upon videos of this quality.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion