The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Folk position or Classical position?

I've only been playing for a little over 2 years, always in the folk position with the guitar on my right hip. This morning I tried the classical position, with the guitar on my left thigh. I really like it. It feels very comfortable and I think my hand like the angles that they are hitting the guitar. And it feels like I have better control of the guitar.

Which do you use? What are the advantages to you? Would you ever think of switching?

Last edited by lowrider; 04-10-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:37 PM

I've been playing for 55 years and didn't even know WHAT I did until I read your post. As it happens I do both.

If it feels good, do it.

Last edited by brianmay; 04-10-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelin
Old 04-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Depending on the size of the guitar I do each. I say put the guitar where it
is most comfortable for you to play.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:39 PM

I'm kind of in the middle, just a little to the right of "classical" and a bit lower. I use a strap when seated or standing. Sometimes when sitting I'll shift the guitar to my right, but when doing anything technical it always comes back more centered.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-10-2019, 03:42 PM

I'd say do whatever feels right, but I've always thought classical looked rather pompous, unless, of course, you're playing classical music. IMHO.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:44 PM

If "cool" is a consideration, then the (early) Leo Kottke was the epitome of "cool" ...

I have to confess I have a totally irrational aversion to seeing a steel string guitar played in the classical position ...
Old 04-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Close to a classical position when I'm seated, but with a strap.

The strap attached under the heel at the top so when I stand the guitar is centered in just about the same position.

PS: I have a hip problem that make crossing my legs for any length of time uncomfortable...so that's out.

Last edited by menhir; 04-10-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=lowrider;6032823]I've only been playing for a little over 2 years, always in the folk position with the guitar on my right hip. This morning I tried the classical position, with the guitar on my right thigh.[QUOTE]

I'm a little confused by this. Do you mean right thigh vs. left thigh, as opposed to right hip vs. right thigh?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Carpal tunnel forced me into the classical position. Folk position was a big factor in aggravating wrist pain.

I can play for hours in classical position, only minutes in folk position.

I don't care if it looks pompous.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

Last edited by srick; 04-25-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: removed masked profanity
Old 04-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Ive played folk position for 50ish years. Ive tried classical and it feels so awkward but I can hear the guitar better so I wish I had changed over some time in the past.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Never heard the term "folk position" before, is it in common usage?

Classical position requires a foot stool, doesn't it?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:35 PM

When I sit, I always play in the classical position.

Early on, I used the 'folk' position on my right leg. I developed tendinitis in my wrist because I could never get the optimum angle for my wrist.

Once I changed to classical position, pain went away and I found I had better leverage for both left and right hands.

These days I much prefer to stand up anyway. The only time I will always sit is during recording, due to needing to maintain consistent distance from microphones.

OP: if you find the classical position better, than go for it. Don't worry about comments that indicate some people might be judging you for your particular techniques or 'how it looks.' Let your playing speak for itself.

(Note that, depending on your physiology, you may find it easier to use classical position when using a foot rest, or some other method to raise the left foot.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post

I don't care if it looks pompous.
It only looks pompous if you play it sitting down

Put a strap on (attached to the neck heel as opposed to the headstock) and play it standing up, and it looks almost (if not quite) as cool as Leo Kottke.

Last edited by srick; 04-25-2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: edited referenced quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I agree that the classical position usually looks kind of like you wish you had a cello, but Toby uses it and recommends it. I finally tried because I might be getting a dread and I want to take the size of the guitar out of the picture.

Two of the guys use the classical position seated. Both of them are great players. I'm going to hang in there with it and see how it goes.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I agree that the classical position usually looks kind of like you wish you had a cello, but Toby uses it and recommends it. I finally tried because I might be getting a dread and I want to take the size of the guitar out of the picture.

Two of the guys use the classical position seated. Both of them are great players. I'm going to hang in there with it and see how it goes.
I use a short strap when seated so the neck is angled up in a semi classical position. Do whatever works and makes playing more comfortable and effortless

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion