The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-11-2023, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Default QOD - X7 Trade-in Value

I’ve spent too much time buying and selling guitars in 2023. I’m finally down to two guitars. I want, never need, a McPherson Sable. I’ll be trading in my Emerald X7 (standard black carbon with LR Baggs Element pickup). Purchased it in November 2021. Almost hate to say this but planning on trading it in at Guitar Center on a new Sable. Condition is excellent.

Any thoughts on what they will give for a trade-in value. Just trying to get a rough idea for budgeting purposes.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:40 PM

They will look up what they can sell it for used on Reverb etc, maybe 50% of the new price. And then will offer you half of that. It is convenient to trade in, but you are paying a heavy price for that convenience, getting 25 cents on the dollar. Use the 3D builder to look up the current price of a new X7 as you described and take 70% of that. [$2245 x 0.7 = ~$1572] It would be surprising if GC gave you more than $750 for trade in value.

I believe that CF guitars generally retain ~70% of their new price when used and in EC, but GC likely won't see it that way, and need to make a profit for themselves on the deal. You would be far better off advertising here or using Craigslist for "local sale only" to avoid shipping. IMHO.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:45 PM

My experience is similar to Earl's although maybe not quite that low.

GC will look it up on Reverb and find the lowest price it actually sold for, then they will offer you 60% of that value.

The only slight advantage to trading in at GC is they might give you a 10% discount on what you are trading it in for and you will only be taxed on the net difference.

It's convenient, but yeah it will cost you hundreds of dollars compared to selling it outright.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

I recall exploring a guitar trade in England many years ago, at a small shop where I’d got to know the owner quite well.

Seeing the stunned look on my face at the number he offered me for my precious instrument, he gently reminded me that a) it really wasn’t that precious, and b) he had to make money. I remember him saying that the rule of thumb was to offer 30-35% of original retail in trade value, and resell at 60-70% - depending on condition and desirability of the item, of course.

Comparing the numbers from the posts above, it would seem that those estimates are still a good guideline.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 12-11-2023 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:21 PM

Default FWIW

I grabbed my first Emerald, a quilted maple top X20 Nylon in mint condition, for $2300.
I grabbed my second, a quilted maple top X10 steel string with the full complement of pickups, for $2200 (on sale).
So I can't imagine they paid the seller of each more than $1500, and maybe less.

Because while I grabbed the X20 Nylon before the picture was up, the X10 was there at least a month. And I grabbed it on sale.
They take a risk every time they buy something that it might not sell without a drastic price reduction. And they still need to make money.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 12-11-2023, 06:59 PM

Yep, all businesses that buy used gear must ensure they make a good profit to make it worth their while.

I assume a similar new X7 is around $2200. They will probably figure a used sale price of $1600-$1700, and offer a trade in value of $900-$1000.

Last edited by dgaemc2; 12-11-2023 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-11-2023, 08:25 PM

Yep, some good advice here from AGF members regarding this question. Let's say paid $2100 for your X7 in 2021, and GC will only offer you $1000 trade. If you buy from them you get 10% off. A guitar of similar value of your X7 new is now $1890, and you don't have to pay $100+ to ship the X7 somewhere and risk damage in transit. So now your trade value is approximately $1310

$2100- 1310= $790. Is that really a loss? You have had it for 2 years, and tried a guitar you were curious about. I assume you enjoyed the experience, so that is a $395 per year rental fee to try a nice guitar- thrill of the hunt and all that. Can you get more in a private sale? Likely yes, but then you cancel out the above. The GC trade in isn't ideal but not terrible either.

Now would I take a vintage Martin to GC? No way!
Old 12-12-2023, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

SteelVibe, that's approximately the math I was looking at also. If GC will make a similar deal, I'd be good with it. Avoiding the selling hassle at the moment is worth the loss of a couple of hundred to me for the convenience.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM

Just curious if you played the Sable and like it that much better than the X7? Is it really worth the bath you will take on a trade in?
Old 12-13-2023, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Appreciate all of the comments. I’ll spend some quality time playing a Sable this Saturday. Then, I’ll make the decision. I did not get to play a X7 before the purchase. Fortunately it has been a pretty good guitar for what I needed or wanted. Things change and now Sable is generating some GAS or need.

I would like to wait and see if Martin’s “New era” will be a carbon fiber guitar. NAMM is a L O N G wait to find out. But GC does have a 45 day return policy if “New era” turns out to be carbon.

Sold three guitars this year and felt like each sale was a bit of a bath.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Sold three guitars this year and felt like each sale was a bit of a bath.
Lose a little on every sale, and make it up in volume!

I have no idea what revolutionary thing will come from Nazareth. I seriously doubt it will be composite though -- too much of departure for such a hide bound traditional builder and their primary market. There is a huge learning curve associated with starting from scratch with carbon fiber when all you've ever done is build with wood. But I am willing to admit being wrong if it turns out that way. It would be nice if they somehow resurrect Rainsong, or help Blackbird get restarted (after the fire) building with ekoa linen composite.

Bob Taylor was asked if he would consider CF a few years ago for sustainability reasons. His response was, "No, and I couldn't do it for the prices they are charging either".
Old 12-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Well, I just spent a half hour playing a Sable. I do like it much better than my X7 and the X20 I recently sold. Plays so well and sounds so good. Now I really have a GAS problem. Having lunch now and drinking iced tea. Should be drinking a beer so I can blame any decision on alcohol. Saturday could be bath day.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I just spent a half hour playing a Sable. I do like it much better than my X7 and the X20 I recently sold. Plays so well and sounds so good. Now I really have a GAS problem. Having lunch now and drinking iced tea. Should be drinking a beer so I can blame any decision on alcohol. Saturday could be bath day.

The Sable is the best sounding CF guitar I’ve ever played. It is a little bit on the muted side, considering its size.
Old 12-16-2023, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

My Sable with honeycomb top and black hardware should arrive in a few days. Was able to make a deal at the second GC I tried. The first only offered $600 for trade in because "they had too many return guitars in stock". The second GC offered a generous $1,600. So, that plus the 10% Trade Up credit made this a $1,550 net deal for me. Jumped on it. The shipping clock is ticking and I'm watching it.

Again, I appreciate all of the comments.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My Sable with honeycomb top and black hardware should arrive in a few days. Was able to make a deal at the second GC I tried. The first only offered $600 for trade in because "they had too many return guitars in stock". The second GC offered a generous $1,600. So, that plus the 10% Trade Up credit made this a $1,550 net deal for me. Jumped on it. The shipping clock is ticking and I'm watching it.

Again, I appreciate all of the comments.
I think you got a great deal! Enjoy your Sable - they are very fine guitars
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 12-16-2023 at 05:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber