The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-14-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Stones in the Road by Mary Chapin Carpenter (cover)

I have always loved this song and finally decided to learn to play it.

Mary Chapin Carpenter uses a lot of custom tunings; I have no idea how she played this song. I am using standard tuning, which is easiest for me.

The song is pitched only one half tone below where Mary Chapin Carpenter actually sings this song on her recording, in the key of Bb. I am playing in G with a capo on the 2nd fret making my version in the key of A. It goes to show you how low she sings, which is part of her appeal, I think.

I could have actually sung it in the same key where she sang it, but my wife recommended I drop down a half step to get a little better tone out of my old lungs.

I had to spend a little time learning the instrumental part. Right after I concluded that I couldn't do this intro right, I started playing it halfway decently. I was glad I could figure out a way to play this intro so that I did not have to add any other instruments.

Many thanks to Mary Chapin Carpenter for a lifetime of terrific music! I hope you enjoy this. Thank you all for watching!

- Glenn
Old 09-14-2020, 05:49 PM

Default Nice edit

That is the first time I have seen such a well edited video. The pictures in the background and constant camera movement really brings the performance together. Lyrics are interesting- I just heard of Mary Chapin Carpenter for the first time here in the AGF the other day. I know, can’t believe what I was missing. I’m not a total ignoramus, but folk music doesn’t always take the front stage on Apple music...Anyway, Thanks for the video
Old 09-14-2020, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustywinz View Post
That is the first time I have seen such a well edited video. The pictures in the background and constant camera movement really brings the performance together. Lyrics are interesting- I just heard of Mary Chapin Carpenter for the first time here in the AGF the other day. I know, can’t believe what I was missing. I’m not a total ignoramus, but folk music doesn’t always take the front stage on Apple music...Anyway, Thanks for the video
Hi Gusty!

Man, we have been having gusty winds here in western Washington State and the whole west coast, which has really fanned the flames of the forest and wild fires! We are covered in smoke right now, and I really noticed it when singing and recording this song today. I kept coughing in the middle of the song!

Thank you GW for your comments and for taking the time to watch and listen. Below is Mary Chapin Carpenter's vision, performed one half tone higher than where I played and sang it.

I have been paying attention to Mary Chapin Carpenter for a long time, 3 or 4 decades, but I can see where her music could have slipped right by you. She made her way in the Country Music business, but she is really a folk singer. And a lovely person, as well.

I'm sure I got the idea to do a cover of this song because of the discussion of Mary Chapin Carpenter's music on the AGF here. She has so many good songs!

Take care GW and thank you for taking time to watch and comment!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-14-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:48 PM

Wonderful, Glenn! I hadn't known that song, but it's verses are a magical telling of a very hard time in America. I was in college and truly thought the world would somehow implode from that spring/summer.
I particularly like that refrain "stones in the road" .......a beautiful melody compliment to those versus. I've been following MCC on her songs from home videos since spring.....such a talent......seems like a super person I'd love to chat with sometime!
As always, your voice and the Olson just shine!
Stay safe out there.
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-14-2020, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Wonderful, Glenn! I hadn't known that song, but it's verses are a magical telling of a very hard time in America. I was in college and truly thought the world would somehow implode from that spring/summer.
I particularly like that refrain "stones in the road" .......a beautiful melody compliment to those versus. I've been following MCC on her songs from home videos since spring.....such a talent......seems like a super person I'd love to chat with sometime!
As always, your voice and the Olson just shine!
Stay safe out there.
Best,
Fred
Hi Fred,

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Yes, 1968 was a difficult year! And 2020 has turned out to be a rather bad year, too.

Sometimes we just have to keep our heads down and keep working and turn the bad times around. I don't think there is any other answer.

I'm glad you enjoyed my performance of the song. I was glad I was able to do this with just one guitar.

We are working hard at staying safe; I'm sure you are, too!

Take care, Fred!

- Glenn

PS: Regarding chatting with MCC, my wife was saying today that she would be just the kind of person we'd love to have over for dinner. She's a little far away, unfortunately...
Old 09-15-2020, 12:31 AM

Thumbs up

Very Nice!

My Youtube Channel
Old 09-15-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnabyguitar View Post
Very Nice!
Thank you Ming!

Nice of you to take time to listen and post a comment here! Much appreciated! I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 09-15-2020, 10:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Glenn! That is some intricate guitar work - you and your Olson both sound great! I'm sure it wasn't easy working out that intro, but the hard work was worth it. I was also not familiar with this song, but like it very much. I also enjoyed the backgrounds that you used on your video. Wonderful job all around!

I understand that you might get some rain soon? It sure would be nice to clean out some of this smoke! Stay safe, Glenn!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hi Glenn! That is some intricate guitar work - you and your Olson both sound great! I'm sure it wasn't easy working out that intro, but the hard work was worth it. I was also not familiar with this song, but like it very much. I also enjoyed the backgrounds that you used on your video. Wonderful job all around!

I understand that you might get some rain soon? It sure would be nice to clean out some of this smoke! Stay safe, Glenn!
Thank you Larry!

I'm glad you thought this came out well! Yes, it was a bit of a challenge to work out the solo playing on that song. It's kind of funny -- I had just told my wife, "I don't think I am going to be able to pull this off." Then within minutes I sat down with my old Martin D-35 in the house and played it better than I ever had. The brain is an amazing thing!

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment!

Regarding the blanket of smoke around us up here on the west side of the Cascades in Washington State, we did get some rain last night, which was really important to minimize the risk of fires in the forestland surrounding us. But the rain did not make any difference in the air quality, sad to say. The Air Quality Index a couple of days ago was 200-220, but this morning it was above 300 and it's about 280 right now in my county.

We are getting a lot of smoke from the south of us, from Oregon, in particular. We really need rain over the whole region to help the fire fighters. Those poor people... I really fall badly for those whose homes have been lost or who have had to evacuate.

Man, what a mess... We have been dealing with the pandemic pretty well, because we have been able to live fairly normally, able to get outside and enjoy walks and our gardens and doing productive work. Now, we are stuck inside. I keep feeling that this is like a nuclear winter. The longer it goes, the more oppressive it is.

But... I am an optimist. Things will get better in a week or so. For now, we are safe.

I hope you are doing okay.

- Glenn
Old 09-15-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Another fine job in a series of fine jobs, Glenn.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Another fine job in a series of fine jobs, Glenn.
Hi Nymuso!

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! I'm glad you are listening -- thanks for taking time to comment!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 09-15-2020, 07:52 PM

Greetings Glenn. I love your version of this song. I too have been a long time fan or MCC. And she has a killer low register which as you said makes her sound very interesting. Your guitar and vocals sound great and your video editing skills really add to the package. Here’s to some rain for you all.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 09-15-2020, 07:57 PM

And I always enjoyed her song “he thinks he’ll keep her”

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Great job on this one, Glenn! Fancy pickin
Old 09-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Greetings Glenn. I love your version of this song. I too have been a long time fan or MCC. And she has a killer low register which as you said makes her sound very interesting. Your guitar and vocals sound great and your video editing skills really add to the package. Here’s to some rain for you all.
Thank you Started!

I'm so glad you thought this came out well, and it's wonderful to know that you also have enjoyed MCC's music over the decades. I have, too. Thanks for your kind words about my performance.

And thanks for your good thoughts about the rain. We have had more rain this afternoon and evening and I'm sure it will help. The fires have dumped so much particulate and chemicals into the air that it's going to take a few days, maybe even another week, for things to clear. But this rain will definitely be a good thing to minimize the risk of additional fires and also to help the fire fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
And I always enjoyed her song “he thinks he’ll keep her”
Yes, that is among her many good ones that got a lot of radio airplay.

Take care and stay safe!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell