The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-12-2020, 04:28 AM

Default Celandine - Michael Watts

Hi all

This is a piece from Michael’s first album, Vetiver, which I love. Michael offers beautiful signed copies of his transcriptions which are great for framing after you have learned the piece.

I got some very helpful critique from Michael while I was working on this piece - I guess about 12 different recorded iterations before I got to this stage. It’s quite a difficult piece to get “right” and I also found it sounded better with the more overtone heavy sound of my Furch (which I was pleased to be using i anger again after almost exclusively playing my Webber for the last few months)

Anyway, I hope you like it and thanks for listening..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 09-12-2020, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Peter,

I’m sure Michael would be very impressed with that performance. Well done!

Cheers,

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-12-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Peter,

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks Bob - he’s a tough taskmaster so I’m not sure ;-)

Old 09-12-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Wrighty,

Very nice, I enjoyed listening to it.

Thanks for posting.

john
Old 09-13-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Wrighty,

Very nice, I enjoyed listening to it.

Thanks for posting.

john

Thanks very much John :-)

Old 09-13-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Peter,

Cheers,

Bob
Actually yes I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Hi all

This is a piece from Michael’s first album, Vetiver, which I love. Michael offers beautiful signed copies of his transcriptions which are great for framing after you have learned the piece.

I got some very helpful critique from Michael while I was working on this piece - I guess about 12 different recorded iterations before I got to this stage. It’s quite a difficult piece to get “right” and I also found it sounded better with the more overtone heavy sound of my Furch (which I was pleased to be using i anger again after almost exclusively playing my Webber for the last few months)

Anyway, I hope you like it and thanks for listening..

Really good stuff Peter, thank you for putting so much love and musicality into the piece.

Michael
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Actually yes I am!

Really good stuff Peter, thank you for putting so much love and musicality into the piece.

Michael

Thank you Michael - especially for your support and help on the way.

I have some new mics coming next week and so want to give it another go before I look for a suitable frame for the beautiful transcription for the wall.

I would recommend these tunes to anyone who appreciates solo guitar music - either to play or simply to enjoy listening to, Vetiver is just a great album and I am looking forward to the next one!

Old 09-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Nice job!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

OH my!, Your Furch sounds wonderful...rich in overtones yet crystal clear. The notes just linger on.
Beautifully Played! Lots of feeling and with great presence.
I have got to order Michael's album straight away!
Please, Tell us a bit about your recording chain, Mic placement and distance to guitar. And would also like to hear about the differences between the Webber and Furch...are they the same back and sides?
Old 09-13-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
OH my!, Your Furch sounds wonderful...rich in overtones yet crystal clear. The notes just linger on.
Beautifully Played! Lots of feeling and with great presence.
I have got to order Michael's album straight away!

Please, Tell us a bit about your recording chain, Mic placement and distance to guitar. And would also like to hear about the differences between the Webber and Furch...are they the same back and sides?

Well, thank you so much for the kind words..

Vetiver is amazing - you will love it..

My recording chain is fairly simple - two AT2020 in AB about 60cm apart and about 30cm from the guitar with one pointing in towards fret 12 and the other (angled slightly down) towards the point just beyond the bridge. I do have some acoustic treatment (home made) which helps too. The funny thing is I have just invested in two new mics from Line Audio (CM4) that are getting great reviews so hope to improve the sound in future (won’t be as special as your mics :-)

I did spend a little more time on getting the sound right in reaper - some high pass, a few subtractive EQ tweaks, a little parallel compression and a small amount of reverb.

These guitars are so different - Furch is rosewood and the Webber is Sapele back and sides - both Sitka tops. The Furch is classic mid scooped and can be a little vague in the bass region (these EB AB strings sort that pretty well) but it has wonderful fat trebles and loads of overtones. The Webber is all about balance and clarity across all strings, which I love more and more, but for this tune the Furch was the obvious choice.

Once again, thanks for listening :-)

Old 09-13-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice job!

Thanks Barry :-)

Old 09-13-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Well, thank you so much for the kind words..

Vetiver is amazing - you will love it..

My recording chain is fairly simple - two AT2020 in AB about 60cm apart and about 30cm from the guitar with one pointing in towards fret 12 and the other (angled slightly down) towards the point just beyond the bridge. I do have some acoustic treatment (home made) which helps too. The funny thing is I have just invested in two new mics from Line Audio (CM4) that are getting great reviews so hope to improve the sound in future (won’t be as special as your mics :-)

I did spend a little more time on getting the sound right in reaper - some high pass, a few subtractive EQ tweaks, a little parallel compression and a small amount of reverb.

These guitars are so different - Furch is rosewood and the Webber is Sapele back and sides - both Sitka tops. The Furch is classic mid scooped and can be a little vague in the bass region (these EB AB strings sort that pretty well) but it has wonderful fat trebles and loads of overtones. The Webber is all about balance and clarity across all strings, which I love more and more, but for this tune the Furch was the obvious choice.

Once again, thanks for listening :-)
I will be very excited to hear about your new Line Audio CM4 when they arrive. There have been lots of threads about the older version, the CM3, with rave reviews. Many comparing them To Schoeps favorably. I have heard that the CM4's are even better.
For your beautiful fingerstyle playing...the CM4's might just offer you nearly all of the attributes that a Schoeps can offer. From the recordings I have heard with CM3's...very impressive. Can not go wrong for the price.
I needed Schoeps for various reasons. I combine fingerstyle with heavy strumming for melodic Rock Songs. So there is a huge Dynamic range with lots of attack times going from detailed fingerstyle-classical to rythmic strumming. Also, my guitar is set up for brighter, edgier attack times. It is a Rosewood with Maple influences. Amazon Rosewood. It has an Edge to it. For this type of playing and music, I believe I needed the little bit of extra that Schoeps has to offer. As with all things, you have to pay a lot more for just a little bit. But sometimes that little bit is a defining factor for each of our particular needs. Took me three years to save up to buy them.
AT microphones are a great value. I was using AT4050's for quite some time until my recent purchase of Schoeps.
Parallel compression is what particularly interests myself. I plan to buy an Eylsia hardware compressor because of its ability to parallel compress and use a blend control. Not many compressors offer that function. I assume you used a plug in compressor? And if so Was it stereo? or did you use two separate compressors?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:40 AM

It’s a wonderful song that I didn’t know, thank you for this discovery. I see it's in Dadgad on top of that. I just listened to the original and you don't have to be ashamed with your interpretation because it is really very beautiful, well done

https://remylefer.bandcamp.com/follow_me

https://open.spotify.com/album/6trcd...qGm8CDlKj8yFiQ

Old 09-13-2020, 11:26 AM

Default Celandine - Michael Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I will be very excited to hear about your new Line Audio CM4 when they arrive. There have been lots of threads about the older version, the CM3, with rave reviews. Many comparing them To Schoeps favorably. I have heard that the CM4's are even better.
For your beautiful fingerstyle playing...the CM4's might just offer you nearly all of the attributes that a Schoeps can offer. From the recordings I have heard with CM3's...very impressive. Can not go wrong for the price.

I needed Schoeps for various reasons. I combine fingerstyle with heavy strumming for melodic Rock Songs. So there is a huge Dynamic range with lots of attack times going from detailed fingerstyle-classical to rythmic strumming. Also, my guitar is set up for brighter, edgier attack times. It is a Rosewood with Maple influences. Amazon Rosewood. It has an Edge to it. For this type of playing and music, I believe I needed the little bit of extra that Schoeps has to offer. As with all things, you have to pay a lot more for just a little bit. But sometimes that little bit is a defining factor for each of our particular needs. Took me three years to save up to buy them.
AT microphones are a great value. I was using AT4050's for quite some time until my recent purchase of Schoeps.
Parallel compression is what particularly interests myself. I plan to buy an Eylsia hardware compressor because of its ability to parallel compress and use a blend control. Not many compressors offer that function. I assume you used a plug in compressor? And if so Was it stereo? or did you use two separate compressors?

I had been looking for a while for an upgrade option - looked at some cool kits to upgrade the internals of the AT2020 but when I stumbled across all the CM3/4 reviews that was it - I am very excited to hear what they do or don’t offer..

I would love some Schoeps or Geffell M300’s but they were just out of my budget right now so will have to wait a little.

I run a plugin called the Rocket by Stillwell Audio for parallel compression - it has a super fast attack time and is fairly hard core, which allows you to set it up on a bus quite aggressively and then just dial in to taste. It’s an interesting technique for sure and worth exploring.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rémy64 View Post
It’s a wonderful song that I didn’t know, thank you for this discovery. I see it's in Dadgad on top of that. I just listened to the original and you don't have to be ashamed with your interpretation because it is really very beautiful, well done

Thanks for the kind words Remy - Michael writes and plays great tunes..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell