The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-09-2020, 04:59 PM

Question New to Nylon - confused by gauge & tension

Purchased my first Nylon string instrument and I'm trying to do research on what strings to get and I’ve completely confused myself. If it matters this is for a Yamaha GL1 Guitalele. I read that the GL1 does fine with standard classic nylon guitar Strings so I was thinking of just grabbing some student classic nylon D’addario EJ27N normal tension for under $5.

But then I read somewhere a recommendation to use Requinto Strings, and found D'Addario Requinto - Silverplated Copper Wound, .022 - .036, EJ94 and noticed the lower string gauge. I then found a different set also called “Requinto” but they have the same gauge 028 - 043 as the classic nylons. So I’m confused.

What difference would the lower string gauge make? What about string tension and how does this figure into the equation? Do string sets designed for “Requinto” or “guitalele” make any sort of difference vs standard nylons?

I'm not necessarily looking for a specific string set recommendation, but really for information as to why you choose the strings you use. Teach me how to fish so to speak. Thanks in advance for you help and reply. I truly appreciate any knowledge you share!!

Last edited by SomeGuy; 09-09-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:55 PM

For the shorter scale I would try a Requinto or guitalele smaller gauge before the standard size Classical, as I would expect them to have a more precise/cleaner sound. Standard gauge strings are probably fine, but the #3 (g) string can, in some sets, sound slightly duller than the strings to either side of it, an issue which may be better addressed with a thinner gauge.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:48 PM

The requinto is often tuned to A, same as the GL1 guitelele is normally tuned. However the requinto has a longer scale length, so it might make sense to use lighter strings for the requinto. Less so for the guitelele.

For the guitelele, if you're tuning to A, just use any normal classical guitar set. Using requinto strings on the guitlele tuned to A would mean less tension and less volume. Might make it more difficult to play in tune, too, since the lower tension makes fretting finger pressure more critical.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:10 PM

Tim, where were you before I posted?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical