The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Something like a few db's of high freq. boost starting around 6k to 7k and up for a bit more air
My mic pre, a Focusrite Clarett 4pre has "Air mode, with impedance switching, gives new colour to your mics, emulating ISA’s transformer-based mic pre to bring out unique high-end detail."
So I have that covered.

I'll give what you suggested a whirl. When you say "parallel reverb track" are you referring to a bus?

So are you an engineer?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 09-04-2020, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
My mic pre, a Focusrite Clarett 4pre has "Air mode, with impedance switching, gives new colour to your mics, emulating ISA’s transformer-based mic pre to bring out unique high-end detail."
So I have that covered.

I'll give what you suggested a whirl. When you say "parallel reverb track" are you referring to a bus?

So are you an engineer?
That "Air mode " may well work I am not familiar with it.

A fair question so ,,,No, I am Not working "professional" audio engineer, if that is what you are asking? I am however a serious home recordist with 18 years experience and who has had a formal education in the form of a Masters Certificate in Advanced Audio Engineering in Pro Tools, from Berklee Collage of music

A Bus ? Yes more or less. (I don't remember which DAW you are using ) And different DAWs use different wording, but ultimately they accomplish the same thing.

Backing up a bit:
A parallel Effect is one that is not placed directly on the audio track you are wanting to affect... The effect (in this case a reverb) is placed on its own track. And the signals from those two tracks hit the main outs in parallel The dry signal from the original audio track and a wet signal from the effects track

NOW this second "parallel" track ( depending on specific DAW), may be called a Bus track, or an Aux track. ect), You then "Send" or (split off) signal from the audio track (in this case the vocal track) to the Bus /Aux, track while at the same time leaving the main output of the vocal track unchanged (technically you are doing this via a routing Bus), and I guess why some DAWs simply combine the two ( the bus and the track) and call them Bus tracks.. In Pro Tools it's called an Aux Track and a Bus is an assignable routing mechanism that can "Send " signal from the audio track to an aux track, in this case with the (reverb) on it. What this does is let the original audio pass dry (no reverb) to the main outs of that vocal track ,,,, while also sending signal over to the Aux/Bus track which passes the wet signal to its main outs. Make sense?

here is a screen shot

So in the magenta colored track called "Ld Vox" (for lead vocal) I am sending (black arrow) the split vocal signal (via a bus Named M7 ) to the parallel Aux track dark purple ( also named M7) to its main "input" (second black arrow)

At the top of that dark purple M7 aux track you can see the highlighted "EQ3 7-Band" plug in, is first (top slot ) in the signal path and the actual Reverb (also labeled " M7") is second, so the EQ controls what frequencies are hitting the reverb which you can see on EQ GUI at the far right

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-04-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've always felt that buying a used microphone was just a notch up from buying a used harmonica.
Not sure how so...the first is a necessity, the second is, well, I'm not sure what a harmonica is other than that for me, definitely not a necessity.

I've bought most of my mics used, and in a couple cases saved quite a bit, but I'm glad there are people who buy new so I can get good deals from time to time. Always been a fan of Audio Technica microphones.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD