The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Guest 928

Default The Emerald Flaminco Guitar

Years ago I went though 40-some wooden guitars looking for my ideal nylon string guitar. When I discovered carbon fiber guitars I started the search anew. I've played or heard just about every CF nylon string guitar and Alistair has made me five custom instruments.

I have, in general, argued that CF nylon string instruments do not have the projection power of a good wooden guitar. A complaint recently emphasized when getting a chance to play an 1800's Martin. I've laid the blame on CF tops, arguing that they need to be thinner. But the problem is bigger than that.

I've made a big mistake in my goal. Without thinking I've not differentiated classical and flamenco guitars. After playing the Martin and mentally reviewing my brother-in-law's Ramirez I picked up my Emerald X10 acoustic and realized that the 10 was very much in the park as a classical. Unfortunately, the sound seed in my brain was based on a Flamenco sonic.

In my early 20's I attended a concert by Carlos Montoya; it was ravishing. I've noted before that the closest CF guitar to my nylon taste was the Blackbird Rider. Blackbird put out two versions of the Rider, a classical and a flamenco. I had the classical but heard the Flamenco and wondered why I couldn't get that sound. I'll never reach the level of skill evidenced by Montoya, but would like to get the sound.

And so, I'm starting over. I think I'm going to sell my CFs, purchase a moderately priced wooden flamenco guitar. If it gives me a taste of what I'm looking for then I'll start pestering Alistair. I don't think he's ever made a Flamenco guitar and it would be a worthy challenge.

And away I go................................Excuse my long-windedness, I've had an epiphany (and I wasn't even drinking or smoking).
Old 08-27-2020, 03:47 PM

That sounds like a useful insight, Evan. Your sojourn has been almost legendary so far. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:31 PM

As you know Evan, if you can dream it Alistair can make it. Heck, it could become one of their best sellers. You never know.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

My Cordoba GK is a Flamenco, since I'm not a classical player, the nut width, comfort and tone works really well for me. It is a fun guitar to play. Enough about me, best of luck with your quest ! Sounds like you are on the right track. You do have to stomp your foot and yell 'ole every once in a while when playing it though.

Last edited by jdinco; 08-28-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:44 PM
Guest 928

Thank you Earl, I hope you're right, though I could be on a fools errand.

Steel; I'm not so sure. I'm not sure an offset sound hole would work with a flamenco guitar--much of the soundboard depends on bracing finely tuned to accentuate trebles and moderate bass and I'm not sure that would work for flamenco. Although, Alistair could return to a center sound hole, but it would take a lot of modification to change the face of new X7 build.

JD; no problem--I stomp my feet and yell "ole" at least a few times a day, anyway. I'm half way there.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Evan, you might like the Córdoba GK guitars, and you can probably pick up a second hand Córdoba GK Pro for around $1000 - $1300, or it’s little sib, the GK Studio for $400 - $700 on either eBay or Reverb.
They are good quality for the price, and they have several features that will appeal to you, such as thin body, light weight nut width of 50 mm (vs 52 on most classical guitars)

I became enamored with the GK Pro a few years ago, and much to my surprise, my wife loved the GK Pro so much that she stopped playing her beloved Taylor steel string. So I “had“ to buy a second GK Pro in order to have one to play myself.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
JD; no problem--I stomp my feet and yell "ole" at least a few times a day, anyway. I'm half way there.
Probably something you picked up from your neph since he lives down there close to the border and all.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:39 PM

Not a bad price either. This is a classical, but they do Flaminco if you want to get one while you wait on Alistair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv1RbPE7K_M

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-28-2020, 09:08 AM
Guest 928

Cecil; Thanks for assisting my quest. I appreciate the experience and advice.

Tom; thank you for option. I'm not getting a visual--what is the guitar?
Old 08-28-2020, 09:21 AM

Read the title (Flaminco SIC) and wasn't sure whether I was going to read about a pink guitar or a nylon-strung guitar...
Old 08-28-2020, 09:45 AM
Guest 928

BSMAN;

Sorry about that. Although I suppose that somewhere in the universe there is a pink Flamenco.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm not getting a visual--what is the guitar?
It is the Dlutowski that popped up in one of your previous topics (if I am not mistaken).
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-28-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Probably something you picked up from your neph since he lives down there close to the border and all.
Say what now???
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-28-2020, 12:14 PM

MM has the answer. I was thinking (I know it's dangerous), and I would love to see Alistair's take in this direction. I could get behind a dedicated classical or flamenco guitar with all the excellence and bevels that you see on the X20.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-28-2020, 03:07 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

I've played the Leviora and listened to the Dlutowski. They seem to be very good instruments, but as you note, they do not reflect the innovative features introduced by Alistair. If I am going with CF I want something more than a traditionally built guitar--otherwise I could just pick up a nice wooden instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber