The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-24-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

$99?

Yeah... no.

Be nice to have but not at that price... I think I have one called "Sleepless Nights" from that period... nope, it's a Flying Burrito Brothers disc...

I've heard some of that radio broadcast, and, as I recall, the sound is not all that good on it...

Lord, $99 is silly! Kind of like trying to find one of the discs of Willis Alan Ramsey's album, let alone a good vinyl copy...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-24-2020, 10:29 AM

Amazon gets weird prices sometimes, I'm quite sure that CD (if it is available) wouldn't go for more than $19.99.

It's just you have to find it somewhere.

Probably a Mom and Pop music store that still sells vinyls and old recorded CD's.

There just ain't that many of them around anymore.

Mom and Pop Music Stores that is.

MGF
Old 08-24-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

Lord, $99 is silly! Kind of like trying to find one of the discs of Willis Alan Ramsey's album, let alone a good vinyl copy...
I have the Willis Alan Ramsey CD. I got it about 15 years ago. I don't remember where I got it from or the price. I sought it out because of the Jimmy Buffett connection. Ramsey's story is kind of interesting, to say the least... Whenever asked about a second album he would always say "what's wrong with the first one."

I just did a quick search and found it on Amazon for $169.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Cool Willis Alan Ramsey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
I have the Willis Alan Ramsey CD. I got it about 15 years ago. I don't remember where I got it from or the price. I sought it out because of the Jimmy Buffett connection. Ramsey's story is kind of interesting, to say the least... Whenever asked about a second album he would always say "what's wrong with the first one."

I just did a quick search and found it on Amazon for $169.
I know, they're hard to find... love that record, though; every song is a gem! Willis is the "hero in the background" for a whole lot of folks... he's been "working on" his second album for nearly 50 years now... last I heard, it's in the final stages, but that was over a year ago and... nothing yet!

When I was in my twenties, I moved around the country a lot, s taying with friends here and there, writing songs and playing the places I could. Whenever I got to a "new place" to stay for a while, I'd go out and buy a few records, both so I could hear them when I wanted and to turn my friends on to the music. Willis Alan Ramsey's record was one of the ones I always bought for the household... and when I'd leave, I'd leave the record behind. Probably did that a dozen times or more in a ten-year span!

Fortunately, Ia friend gave me copy of the CD that's good quality... so I can still listen to it when I want. After all these years, it's still a fantastic record; low budget, sparse production, GREAT songs! No fluff in there, just "meat and potatoes" the whole way through... with a lot of heart...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I am very surprised anyone on this site might suggest these lyrics to be controversial.

Attributed to W B Stevens it has been recorded by over 100 groups including the Flying Burrito Brothers 1970. I heard it first on the 1987 Trio LP and knew through Emmylou of the Gram Parsons connection. I read that an impromptu version was sung at Gram Parsons funeral ceremony.
Yeah. Definitely a classic tune. I would not be surprised to be told that the Stones had a version out there somewhere. If you want to play on some hymns that everyone knows, this is going to be one of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN