The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like the distressed look of Martin’s 15 Series’ Streetmaster?
Yes 60 22.73%
No 165 62.50%
Neutral 39 14.77%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2020, 02:25 AM

Smile Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I actually think it looks really cool. I like the vintage look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I like it. I have a feeling that I'll be in the minority though but I think they look beautiful and rustic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
I like the look of the guitar. I find it cheap of Martin to not include a hard-shell case with the guitar and still charge more than the 000-15m.

I liked my old 000-15m when I had it. I ended up selling it because I like my 000 sized Yamaha FS5 better. However, for that all-hog sound, the 000-15m was a great guitar. I have played a few of these Streetmaster models too and I liked them.

I don't consider the relic process to be creating a fake. Everyone in their right mind knows it's a new guitar. It's like buying a different colour guitar. It isn't better or worse, just different.

One day I might get another one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Another agreement here. Reminds me of a violin finish. BTW, that finish is not supposed to indicate years of wear,.. IT'S JUST ONE FINISH CHOICE.
We’re in the minority who appreciates the look of the Streetmaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Traditional is not normally my style, but I think Martin nailed it, especially for the low price point. Gorgeous and seductive.
Wow! You gave the “highest praise” to the Streetmaster!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-05-2020, 03:32 AM

It's okay, just not for me. I don't care for the missing pick guard and the wear patterns are too consistent with every other streetmaster. It's not like stone washing jeans.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:49 AM

I didn’t like the finish when I saw it in photos, but our local Martin dealer has a couple of them in stock.

When you get one into your hands, they’re much more appealing than you’d guess from looking at photos only.

Plus both of the examples I played sounded GREAT.....

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-05-2020, 04:38 AM

I don't have a problem with relic-ed instruments if done well - I like the look of the Pre-War Guitar Co. instruments and Nash electric guitars, but the Streetmaster doesn't do anything for me. The "distressed" finish on it just makes it look cheap in my opinion. If Martin wanted to offer a different finish in that price range/model that some people will love and some people will hate then how about a black top finish?
Old 12-05-2020, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I didn’t like the finish when I saw it in photos, but our local Martin dealer has a couple of them in stock.

When you get one into your hands, they’re much more appealing than you’d guess from looking at photos only.

Plus both of the examples I played sounded GREAT.....

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
And that's the important bit!

I just wish that Martin would 'relic' their prices too! By my reckoning (in fact by the US gov official historic wages/prices reckoning) this guitar should be under $799 in the catalogue to make it really feel like you are buying a mid 30s all mahogany guitar - not the $1799 it is listed at!!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 12-05-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:31 AM

Initially I didn’t care for it, then it sort of grew on me. I purchased, sight unseen, a D15SS and found that it looked great in person. And the sound is spectacular. In fact all of them I’ve played since have sounded great. Not sure why, but they do.

Rb
Old 12-05-2020, 05:35 AM

It looks better in person than in the photos, but I like the regular 15 Series guitars better.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-05-2020, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Never been a fan of the fake distressed look on anything ... too theatrical. But I will say I was impressed with the sound of the one I played... wide open sound.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:07 AM

I voted 'neutral' but I actually do like it a little better than the non-distressed version. And I'll echo some of the others in saying that it is a great player, full, warm and a joy to play. It's actually one of my favorites.

What I thought ironic was Martin marketing this guitar as 'ready for the street' and not bother to install at least a strap pin, let alone any electronics. And they could've just kept the zippered dust cover they sent along to accompany it.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:08 AM

Each to his own of course but the relic/aged look is a big turn off for me.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I like relic guitars like Martin and PreWar make but not a fan of this type.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:11 AM

I’m with those who don’t like the fact that they charge an extra $100 for a homely finish and a lesser way to carry/protect it. I am intrigued by the DSS-15, but wish very much that they offered it with the standard -15 finish. And a wider nut, but that’s for a different thread.

That said, it’s not as bad looking in person as in pictures. However, I still much prefer the standard finish and a hard case.

As long as I’m flirting with the topic, I wish they still offered the DSS-17 in black. I’m not a fan of the -17 sunburst. But I digress...

John
Old 12-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Everyone’s tastes are different, and for most guitars I think the distressed look on a new guitar is an abomination - for some reason though, I like the look of the streetmasters- I tried an excellent DSS-15 and for me it looks distressed from a distance but everything looks and feels smooth once you get close
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 12-05-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I don’t like it.
To each their own.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:56 AM

My question: Is that what vintage / well-loved hog tops look like? I've been doing some image searches and can't find anything that looks like that. Some of the older ones look darker, but not uneven like that.

Anyway, my local shop just got a D-15 Streetmaster in, and I want to like it because I'm looking to swap this AD27 for a D-15M, but maybe I'll just wait until a normal D-15M becomes available.

Like someone else said, the consistency of the distressed look across them leaves it feeling more manufactured to me. Not, I guess, that 99% of people who would see the guitar would know it's the same distress pattern as other Streetmasters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion