The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM

I have to agree with Joecharter. I have the E10 OM with Adi top and Hog B&S and it is one sweet beast. I love the sound of Hog over Rosewood but that's personal preference and the cost is well below your budget. It's really the closest thing I've come along that actually articulates as well as an old pre-war Martin. The build is almost identical to those guitars.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM

"Something other than Taylor or Martin, something different."
"Rosewood because of the tonal characteristics, deep, moody, softer than hog."
"I want to stay around 1100ish."

No thoughts of Larrivee? I'd do everything I can to avoid buying a Chinese product when there are so many other good North American (or other Asian), even) choices. Just my .02 though....
Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 PM

The link to that AC822 is one of the best values that you'll find (I am not related to that seller). It is very similar to the AC722 mentioned earlier except with extra bling added. The GA size guitar is a great size to get at a full tone with a comfortable size guitar. I wouldn't get too hung up on the "Chinese made" guitar thing when it comes to Eastman - The quality is very high and the value is almost untouchable. You can buy a U.S. made guitar of simlar quality and pay at least twice as much. Good luck!

Eastman AC822CE
Eastman E8OM
78 Gibson "The Paul"
69 Hofner 448
Fendor CG-24SCE
Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM

No thoughts of Larrivee? I'd do everything I can to avoid buying a Chinese product when there are so many other good North American (or other Asian), even) choices.

It never fails but it does get old IMO, politicizing/nationalizing guitars. The OP asked specifically about Eastmans FWIW.

The 20 or 8 E series would fit your needs nicely.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Like Shortymack, I'm really tired of those who continue to turn any Eastman discussion into a political one. FWIW Alvarez, Blueridge, Ibanez, Fender, Guild, Walden, Washburn, and Epiphone also make guitars in China as well as some of Taylor's cases. Evaluate a guitar as a guitar, not as a political manifestation. This previous post from Pat Campo from Eastman is worth repeating. It was a response to a poster on a different AGF thread...

We comply with health and safety regulations just like everyone else does. We actually provide food and housing to some of our workers as well. Due to our factory, we have created somewhat of an "Eastman Town." We draw a lot of people to the area, and in doing so, we have sparked some economic growth in the community.

I have been to our factory personally, and i dont know if you have ever been to China yourself, but i can assure you and everyone here that there is no improper treatment of our workers. A lot of our workers have been with us from the beginning, and a lot of them are family members and friends. Workers actually only work around 7 hours per day total, and get nearly a month off in January for new years, and a month off in the summer because it is too humid to make instruments. Due to the skilled nature of the work, we value every person and their hard work that they do for the company. Without them, we would not be here. This company is about people, and our relationships with each other. We are here to make great instruments and make a mark on the music industry. To do that, we have to treat people with the respect and dignity that they deserve.

Our wood is purchased from all over the globe, but we get most of our supply from Europe and North America. It is all verified, and we keep track of all of it. We purchase our wood from the same suppliers of many of the larger manufacturers like Taylor and Martin, and some wood from smaller boutique makers like Collings and Benedetto. The rules are much more strict than you might believe.

I think the first thing you need to understand is that we OWN our own factory. Nothing is "outsourced." We do not purchase instruments from a manufacturer like some other companies do. We design here state side, and manufacture in our own factory in China. Since we are both here and there, we have to adhere to rules here in the States and in China.

I don't know where you get your information from, but i can assure that your information about the Eastman Music Company is completely incorrect. We always follow the rules and regulations required of us, and have never had an issue ever. The world's view of China is quite skewed, mostly due to the fact that the majority of people making up some random stuff on a forum have never even been to China, and haven't seen anything first hand. Most of what people hear about is textile factories, which is a business we are not in, and i know personally i wouldn't go writing slanderous material about something i didnt know about first hand with proof and sources, none of which has been provided.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 04-02-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 PM

I have a Larrivee, looking at Eastmans atm, but I at my price point I have the best one already.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 PM

My vote goes to the E20OM. I just bought one & I love it
Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM

+1 on the E20OM, I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and also am loving it.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM

http://imageshack.us/f/252/various041.jpg/

Well here is my new one, and have to say.......very impressed. deep clear tone . Adi/Hog E10SS.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM

E20 OM looks like a great one..I will road test it tommorow and report back.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
In complete contradiction to the laws of preferred spruce tops...the best sounding Eastman I've played was an E8D (Sitka over solid Rosewood). It was louder, sweeter and more articulate than the model E20D (Adi/RW) that the same store had in. Now, whether I'd make the same choice in several years, after the Adi model had broken in properly, who knows. But it proved to me once again that you have to play the actual guitar you want to buy, not just rely on reviews or specs. (I wasn't in the market for a dread, so I didn't buy that E8D, but I did notice that it had been sold when I went back a week or so later. Guitars that nice apparently don't last long.)

Dirk
Sitka is totally underrated. Without exception my favorite guitars have had sitka tops. Also, adi is totally overrated. IMHO. Sitka is variable, but there is a lot more great sitka out there than great anything else - even cedar.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

My humble AC 312. I only say humble because it is a discontinued bottom of the solid wood line. I play it a lot though, and everytime I pick it up and strum or pick an old favorite, I'm a happy old man. By the way, a fun campfire song for kids is "The Last Unicorn" by America.
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

It takes much more than an Eastman to "blow my mind" but I do really like their guitars. I enjoyed the OM10 & OM20 quite a bit.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the support guys!

I just wanted to point that the quoted comment was originally intended to clarify on something someone said in another thread.

We just like making guitars, and enjoy the encouragement from you folks!

Note (I no longer work for Eastman Music Company, If you have Eastman questions, Get in touch with them directly, i will no longer respond to emails not pertaining to Yamaha)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
The Eastmans that really impressed me were mahogany OMs. That's not to say their rosewood guitars aren't good, but their nicely appointed mahogany OMs are a real sonic treat -- loud and lively, not subtle at all...
+1. Picked up an AC522 this weekend as a gift and I am seriously considering keeping it and giving one of my more expensive guitars...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops