The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 08:23 AM

Hey, if you need me I’ll just be over here in the corner wringing my hands over whether I should put out the $1,407 for an Eastman E20P...
Old 12-05-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
You never know. There have been some great builders like David Webber who, IMO, made guitars as good as any. And attainable for very reasonable prices.
Agreed - my Webber never ceases to amaze me in terms of both tone and build quality. I have seen and played more expensive interments that it compares very favourably to.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 12-05-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
From the specs, this guitar Olson is quite a bit larger than a 00 sized guitar. It’s even larger than a 000. So to get this kind of sound you need something akin to that size at least. Olsen calls this his “small jumbo” body style.

Focus on finding the size first and you may find your sound where you want it to be. After that, call Dream guitars and see what strings they were using for the recording.

Nice sounding guitar and it looks beautiful. No way I would pay 30k for it unless I had plenty of money to burn or it was a big tax deduction.

Martin
Thanks, I did mention in my original post that I wouldn't expect the same volume from a smaller body, we're talking tone and response.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Hey, if you need me I’ll just be over here in the corner wringing my hands over whether I should put out the $1,407 for an Eastman E20P...
Yes, I was wondering the same thing w/ the recent 15% off I've seen. Don't feel alone.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Where can I get a car that handles like a Lamborghini for $30,000? When you find that car there will be a $3,000 guitar in the passenger seat that sounds like that Olsen.
Everyone knows a Toyota MR2 is just as good as a Lambo, but I doubt your second assertion.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:20 AM

IMHO - For the money you spec'ed a cedar topped Taylor 714 will get you amazingly close to that tone. I don't think Taylor still uses Cedar on the 714 so you may have to look at the used market for a 714 with a cedar top.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Does this sound close? Morgan CCQMH for around $3,000.00 USD.

...not to my ears....it sounds great but it’s more or less in line with what I would expect a 3000 dollar guitar to sound like...especially when Al Petteway is playing it....
Old 12-05-2020, 09:50 AM

My omly brush with an Olson was several years ago at a
guitar camp. I sat next to a player with an Olson Rosewood cedar model. I had my Petros ebony and red spruce FS.

I sheepishly asked if we could swap guitars for a test ride. He was agreeable.

We played each other’s guitar for just a few minutes. I found them more similar Than I first suspected. Different woods and builders I know but possibly in the same hemisphere.

I left feeling good about my Petros. Not saying it was better or ‘as good’.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I know the easy answer, $30k.

I own mostly mahogany guitars, one maple. In my mind i hear what's missing,. one 00 sized rosewood/adi guitar that sounds (in the ballpark) of this Olson.

I'm not talking volume, but that clear, articulate, bold, well defined and immediate sound w/ depth,.. lovely overtones.

And, forget the Brazilian rosewood when thinking price and again, I'm not thinking I can buy a $30k sound for $3-4K+ but what kinda gets me on the path?

So, what's the minimum does it take to get in that ballpark?

Could it be say, $4k on a Martin 00-28vs? Or it is $5-6k? Collings, etc.

Your thoughts,..

I own a 2002 Charis that displays all the aural (and visual) attributes that make Olsons so desirable. That's where I would start looking.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:20 AM

How the heck does anybody know how the guitar sounds acoustically when listening to a YT video?
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-05-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

In the case of a guitar in a Dream video one just listens to others of their videos. They have a specific area and equipment to make these video so at least a reasonable comparison between guitars is usually possible. Some of their really older videos are not comparable due to different equipment/recording.

How they compare to in person sound, well that is another subject.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 12-05-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

An analogy. How would anyone know what this lake looks like by looking at a .jpg? A .jpg eliminates thousands of small details to get the file size down. Doesn't mean you can't get the idea.

My computer set up includes powered M-Audio BX5a powered monitors. It's quite easy to judge audio quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
How the heck does anybody know how the guitar sounds acoustically when listening to a YT video?
Old 12-05-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Thanks, I did mention in my original post that I wouldn't expect the same volume from a smaller body, we're talking tone and response.

But part of the "tone and response" IS due to the size and shape, and depth of the guitar. And part of the volume of the guitar is due to the "tone and response", which is due to the size of the guitar. "The foot bone's connected to the leg bone...the leg bone's connected to the...". Your not going to get all that close with a 00 size guitar, especially in the bass tone, timbre, and response, but really all across the strings. And you might get...might...similar volume, but it won't sound the same because the overall timbre of the "tone and response" is not the same.

Size...and shape...matters, at least in this case {;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Re: Dream Guitar videos.......

(And other guitar sellers)

What was done in post?
Flat or tweaked?

Plus, the so far *unsaid* - if you can't make a $3,000 guitar sound good, why bother getting one for $30,000

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:54 PM

My Northwood R70-000 seems to be in a similar tonal spectrum as this Olson in the video when listening with my headphones. It was about halfway between 2-3k. Engleman/IRW deep body.

Again, I'm going off of the limitations of listening from a video as opposed to playing or hearing it in person so if that's all you have to go by, you may also be satisfied with a Northwood. I'm glad for my bank account, that all I have to go by.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion