The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Smokey Smelling Acoustic

Hi....I just picked up a used high end guitar from a high end retailer in the north east. The guitar is mint and I had them install a matrix infinity because I gig all the time. They failed to tell me that the guitar smells like an ash tray. I realize the guitar is mine because of the installed pickup but shouldn't they have disclosed the fact that it stinks? That's a very important thing to many players. I would have never thought that a guitar as new and beautiful as the one I purchased would have such an issue. Asking about smoke never even crossed my mind..I guess I'll ask every time from now on. It stinks!!

Last edited by peanutavalon; 06-02-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
Hi....I just picked up a used high end guitar from a high end retailer in the north east. The guitar is mint and I had them install a matrix infinity because I gig all the time. They failed to tell me that the guitar smells like an ash tray. I realize the guitar is mine because of the installed pickup but shouldn't they offer me a partial refund or some advice or something? It stinks!!

Well, IMHO no. You bought a used instrument which most of us do frequently. I believe it was on you to ask any questions you may have had before making the purchase. That said, if you do a search on this forum, there may be some info on how to remove the odor.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 06-01-2019, 04:37 PM

Yuck! Could you lock it in a closet with one of those air ionizer things for a few days?

I would definitely want something in return for the major undisclosed issue.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Caveat emptor. They don't owe you anything. If it was sold by someone who smokes they probably didn't smell the stench because they're so used to living with it.

About all you can do is store it with baking powder and pray that over time the smell gets absorbed and dissipates. But if you do nothing the smell will always be there. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-01-2019, 05:15 PM

I bought a used Gibson SJ-200 that was listed in mint condition, and all pictures appeared to validate that claim. However, when I received it, both the guitar and the case smelled like it had spent its life in a dive bar. It was almost enough to send it back.

I put the case, opened, in my backyard for several days to air it out.

I kept (and still keep) the guitar uncased, hanging on the wall when not being played.

The smell totally left the guitar within about three weeks. I didn't do anything or use anything to reduce the smell, figuring I wanted to let nature take its course.

The case, being lined in fabric, still has an odor in it, albeit less than originally. I keep it closed and do not keep the guitar in it, nor do I travel with the guitar. So as far as I'm concerned, the case is a non-issue.

One of my favorite things to do is smell a guitar when I first receive it, so I understand what a bummer it is to be welcomed by such a stench. I think it will go away naturally if you leave it out for a while.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar problem and had some success with the following:

1. Completely air out the case.
2. Once the case is odor free, put the guitar back in and drape tea bags over the strings, so the bag itself hangs down into the sound hole (not touching the guitar).
3. Close the guitar back up and wait. After a few days, the tea bags will absorb a lot of the odor.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2019, 08:17 PM

There is a lengthy discussion here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=401538
Old 06-01-2019, 08:42 PM

In my opinion guitars owned by smokers should be disclosed prior to a sale just like physical imperfections need to be disclosed. Send it back and demand a full refund.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 06-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I’ve noticed a number of older, higher quality instruments that had been played out a bunch had some odor of cigarettes and old booze, but it fades away pretty quickly if you want it too. Buying used, you should ask all the questions that are important to you, and get answers you’re satisfied with, otherwise you should buy new.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
..if you do a search on this forum, there may be some info on how to remove the odor.
You can never truly get rid of the smell. Believe me, I tried to do so with an instrument.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

A lot of great ideas at below AGF link. I had good luck with cedar chips (readily available in pet department at your local Walmart) along with fresh outside air). Good luck!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ighlight=smell
Old 06-01-2019, 11:18 PM

You'll get that smell out. I would try a succession of different ideas- baking soda, cedar chips, tea bags, whatever.
The other solution is to take up smoking.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar problem and found that a couple of bags of activated charcoal (found them at Home Depot) worked over the course of a couple of months. The bags could be put inside the guitar and case when not in use, the ones I used were small.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 06-02-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
Hi....I just picked up a used high end guitar from a high end retailer in the north east. The guitar is mint and I had them install a matrix infinity because I gig all the time. They failed to tell me that the guitar smells like an ash tray. I realize the guitar is mine because of the installed pickup but shouldn't they offer me a partial refund or some advice or something? It stinks!!
Depends what kind of a deal you got, doesn't it?

My feeling is that an odor issue is something a "high end retailer" should have disclosed. But that's a grey area.

And telling them to pop a Matrix in there without you even having played the thing was not a good idea.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Depends what kind of a deal you got, doesn't it?

My feeling is that an odor issue is something a "high end retailer" should have disclosed. But that's a grey area.

And telling them to pop a Matrix in there without you even having played the thing was not a good idea.
The guitar was recent like new D-18 so I knew I could expect consistency from Martin. The shop has a great Luthier working so I had them do the install. The guitar looks and plays great! But it smells like a smokers lounge...Even if the salesman was a smoker he had to have noticed it. And being such a high end and reputable retailer I feel they should have told me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion