The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Your favorite clip-on tuner, and why?
Snark 62 34.64%
Peterson Stroboclip 32 17.88%
TC Electronics Unitune 21 11.73%
TC Electronics Polytune 34 18.99%
Other 30 16.76%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2019, 05:04 AM

I guess I'm the odd man out.

Using the Kliq Ubertuner. https://www.kliqmusicgear.com/produc...-clip-on-tuner Promoted as more rugged than the Snark (which I've never owned), and I will say its support post is massive compared to the Snarks I've examined.

Second clip-on I've own. First was a Intelli, likely the TT500. I lost it somehow after years.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:54 AM

I'll add one more reason I chose the Stroboclip HD:

I play harmonica in a rack with my guitar, and harmonicas tend to be sharp from A440. More like A442 ish, some a bit higher. I can't stand it, to be honest. When I'm playing blues harp cupped with a mic, I can sort of overcome it - but when it's in the rack, not so much.

I programmed my Peterson with a preset I call HAR (harp) - a tuning adding +8 cents to each string, and my guitar sounds much more in tune with my harmonicas now. I'm still playing with how much offset to add, but that's where I am right now. The Peterson connect website is cool for this kind of stuff, when your Stroboclip HD is connected.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 08-31-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Bringing this old-ish (but not quite zombie) thread back for a quick note. I'd sung the praises of the D'Addario micro tuner earlier in this thread, along with a few other people. Well, I noticed what looked like an update to this tuner recently when I was browsing some other stuff. So I bought a couple of them (hey, two for $22 on Amazon, why not), and I gotta say, they're notably improved, although without losing any of what I liked about them before.

The way I use these tuners is in the soundhole of my Emerald X7, which requites that I remove the mounting clip (which they make easily removable) and cut the little nub off that holds it to the mounting clip. Then I stick a piece of dual-lock on the back of it, and another inside the soundhole, and mount the tuner upside-down inside the sound hole. Like this:

0 by Ray, on Flickr

So I have to feel for the various buttons, but the only one I try to press with any regularity is the on-off button. Well, the new design (as you can see below - new one on the left) has a single button "pad" rather than individual buttons and the only button that's raised and easy to press without looking at them is the on-off. So that's a big tactile improvement for me - on the old one I was too often flipping the orientation or accidentally adjusting the default pitch. The other thing that's a big improvement (also seen below) is the new one is more visible than the older one, with a brighter display and bolder colors to show when you're in or out of tune. This was never a problem with the old one, but it's an improvement anyway...

I assume it will still have a great battery life. They haven't changed the auto-off time, which I also like about this tuner - it takes a while to go off. And, like most tuners, it can still be a little balky with the low-E, sometimes it finds it right away, sometimes I have to hit the harmonic and THEN it'll hear the normally plucked note. Oh, they did apparently get rid of the visual metronome, which is no loss for me, but some folks may have used it. For me, it was just another wrong button to push accidentally...

Anyway, an already great tuner is better in some small ways, but ways that make a pretty big difference to me. So even more highly recommended...

unnamed-3 by Ray, on Flickr

Here's a photo of the display on the old one for comparison to the first photo, above...

unnamed by Ray, on Flickr

Last edited by raysachs; 08-31-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Default Your favorite clip-on tuner, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
+1 on the D'Addario/PW clip on. I gave all my Snarks to the misses - she prefers them. I find the micro tuner faster, easier to read and just as accurate if not more so.

Just got two of the D’Addario clip-on.
They are great. May never take them off. Ordering two more for me and two for my grandsons!
Now what do I do with my old Korg not clip on tuners?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Just got two of the D’Addario clip-on.
They are great. May never take them off. Ordering two more for me and two for my grandsons!
I like the clip on variation too, but prefer the screw-on option.
Quote:
Now what do I do with my old Korg not clip on tuners?
Goodwill.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I like the clip on variation too, but prefer the screw-on option.
Goodwill.
The screw-on option looks great because it's always there, and it looks like it doesn't damage the guitar, but if you need a quick battery change, are you screwed?
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
The screw-on option looks great because it's always there, and it looks like it doesn't damage the guitar, but if you need a quick battery change, are you screwed?
All of the different mounts just use a little nub on top (or bottom - the side opposite the switches) of the tuner body, which clips into the mount. Works the same whether you use the clip on mount, the screw on mount, the mount that fits the bottom of the NS capo - the tuner just slips out of the mount.

So, no, you won't have any problem changing batteries - you just unclip the tuner from whatever mount you're using, change the battery, and slip it back in place. And the battery life on these tuners is freakin' AMAZING, so you probably won't have to change them more than once or twice a year. And that's with a pretty long auto-off time, too.

-Ray
Old 09-10-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
And the battery life on these tuners is freakin' AMAZING, so you probably won't have to change them more than once or twice a year. And that's with a pretty long auto-off time, too.
I second that. I've been using one for a couple of years and I may have replaced the battery once.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion