The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Your favorite clip-on tuner, and why?
Snark 62 34.64%
Peterson Stroboclip 32 17.88%
TC Electronics Unitune 21 11.73%
TC Electronics Polytune 34 18.99%
Other 30 16.76%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
Not if you buy the PolyTone in the first place. The Jacques Cousteau of guitar tuners!
And use cheap coffee.
2018 Regal RD40MS
2019 Kentucky KM-606
2022 Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom
Old 06-01-2019, 01:40 PM

I like the TC PolyTune and UniTune equally well, but voted for the UniTune because that’s what I’ll be buying should I decide to buy another tuner.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Peterson Stroboclip HD. Remarkably accurate... never had a stability issue.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Default Snark

I have quite a few tuners, different brands. I use my first (of 3) Snarks as the one that is always out. It is quick to tune, large enough for older eyes to see, easy on batteries, and easy to replace batteries. It just works for me.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I use one I got from Reverb.com for $5. Actually, I've bought probably a half-dozen at least, and given some away, but I think I've got 3. They work fast and easy to read, and for $5, I don't care if they disappear, though, because they're cheap, they don't - go figure . Not as fragile as a Snark.

I get close, and finish tuning by ear, so these fractional cent things really don't seem to be a huge advantage, given the compromises in the guitar, at least for me. But, I admit I'm also cheap . (I do have a couple floor pedal TC Electronics, which I'll use if I'm setting up for live use, because I really want everyone to mute their a/e guitar when tuning.)

https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner
Old 06-01-2019, 03:55 PM

I voted “other” simply because I don’t like clip-on tuners any more than I like clip-on ties. I’ll use one when nothing else is available. Snark can only get you in the ballpark. Korg pitchclaw is much more accurate but a little flimsy.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
I own the Peterson Stroboclip HD, the TC Polytune Clip, and a couple of Snarks.

I voted Peterson assuming that your poll includes the newer HD version, not the older one named simply 'Stroboclip'.

I like the Stroboclip HD the best of the bunch because it is more accurate to my ear than the Polytune Clip, and definitely the Snarks. You can change the viewing angle easier on the Peterson version, though the screen wont 'flip' like it will on the TC if you like to put it facing you on the back of the headstock.

The Peterson swetened tunings are neat, but I don't really mess with them.

The TC seems a bit more robust, and folds smaller than does the Peterson.

If I was buying today and the Peterson was unavailable, I would get the TC Unitune because the polytune feature doesn't do anything for me personally.

Either the Peterson Stroboclip HD or the TC Poly/Unitune make for easy tuning. I like both of them. But if I could only keep one, it's Peterson.
I voted for the Petersen assuming HD same as big jilm.

I have others like the Snarks and they are okay, but prefer the Stroboclip HD.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:42 PM

I split between the Polytune tuner and a Fishman FT 2.

One would expect great performance from $50.00 clip on tuner. The Polytune comes through.
The surprise is the FT 2 Fishman. It doesn't have as many bell and whistles but for just straight ahead accurate tuning it works very well.

I have used any number of other tuners and like this one best. It's about $15.00 and does what it is supposed to.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

D'addario Planet waves mini clip ons. One on every instruments.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I voted “other” simply because I don’t like clip-on tuners any more than I like clip-on ties. I’ll use one when nothing else is available. Snark can only get you in the ballpark. Korg pitchclaw is much more accurate but a little flimsy.
You know, you might start a fashion trend if you start using clip-on tuners AS clip-on ties. Next thing you know, all the bearded hipsters in Brooklyn will be wearing them and the prices on them will skyrocket!!

whm
Old 06-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I like the unitune because it fits on some non-traditional headstocks (like Lowdens) that the D'Addario's (my other choice) don't. I'd prefer the smaller size, aesthetically, and the unitune/polytune has an annoying habit of shutting off (timeout) right when I need it. But the ability to fit all headstocks wins.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:01 PM

I've owned may clip-ons - as have most of the people on this forum - but my personal favorites are the Peterson Stroboclip and the TC Electronics Polytune Strobe. Both are very accurate an easy to see and use.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:38 PM

I voted other. I use an app on my phone called Guitar Tuna.

It covers all my needs. Standard tuning on 6 and 12 strings as well as mandolin. There are several other stringed instruments as well.

Best of all, it's free. If you want alternate tunings and other features you can purchase the complete app.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-01-2019, 10:22 PM

What Silly Moustache said. those little guys are terrific. I used Snarks for a while but, this might sound silly, they are just plain ugly!!!
Old 06-01-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
I voted other. I use an app on my phone called Guitar Tuna.
I sometimes use an app on my phone in addition to my d'Addario tuner. It's called PitchLab Pro, it's only available for Android and only from Amazon, and it's free. It has templates to let you tune nearly anything. I use it to tune my autoharp.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion