The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-27-2018, 04:42 AM

Default An evening of musical bliss with Alsion Krauss.

My wife and I have been wanting to see Alison Krauss for many years now. The opportunity finally came when she announced a show in Toronto this past Monday. So off to T.O. we went expecting a really good show from her but not actually knowing who she’d be with this time (but we knew it wasn’t Union Station.)

Turns out she was with Barry Bales and Ron Block - both of Union Station. They were accompanied by Sidney & Susan Cox (of O’Brother where art thou fame), Jay Bellarose on drums (raising sand), James Mitchell on electric guitar and Matt Rollings on piano - both stunners.

We have seen shows in the 100s over the last 30+ years and I have to say this was at very top of our list. The levels of musicianship was awe-inspiring, the harmonies bone-chilling and Alison’s voice pure perfection.

We heard many old standards as well as some newer tunes and those guys were so tight it was goose-bump-inducing. Not a flaw, not an off-note, no mistakes. Nothing! Just pure musical bliss.

Needless to say, we are so glad to have finally seen Alison in concert. A must if you can see her.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:53 AM
Musical minimalist

It's always bliss with AKUS.

I saw her the first time when she was about 16 or so - backing up the Tony Rice Unit at The Ark in Ann Arbor. She only sang about 3 songs that night, the rest was instrumental.

It's been fun to watch her evolve over the years, and the current lineup in the band is just a spectacular mix of talent.

Then there's that voice.....

Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 AM

My wife and I saw Alison Krauss a few months ago in St. Augustine Florida. The music was beautiful of course. I went to the sound booth to complement the sound guy on the best live sound I had ever heard and he was just drenched in perspiration and on the defensive from speaking to a couple of other concert goers who weren’t nearly so happy. They though it was way too soft.

There wasn’t a single pickup on the stage and for several songs the whole band had gathered around a single microphone! Absolutely beautiful, but about as stressful a situation as you can possibly imagine for the poor sound guy.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 06-27-2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Unneeded political and racial inferences.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:51 PM

She has the voice of an angel. We saw her years ago with Union Station and were awe struck. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Funny, Nanny Jane and I were talking about AK over dinner tonight, and wondering if she was still performing.
We had the pleasure of seeing her in a large theatre and at the Cambridge Folk festival. Superb, musicianship and sound quality both times.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Saw her once a number of years ago..........wonderful!!! At least on that night, all he things mentioned are so true, but one addition......she's REALLY funny as she engages the crowd!! Totally enjoyed the whole experience.
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-22-2018, 10:33 PM

Just the best
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN