The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have to ask. I didn't know ANY of the songs suggested from there replies (but I do know who the Beatles are ... but will she? :0 ). I listened to a few and I think i have to tread lightly having listened to some of the lyrics. I'm not sure where her mother's bounderies for her. So again, I'd better ask. The guitar stuff is sort of an add-on to the trumpet lessons, but I want her to be inspired to play which will happen through the songs. I've already given her a chord sheet for the basic cowboy chords. Now it's up to her.
Sounds like a plan!
Old 06-04-2019, 04:50 AM

Based on a scientific statistical sample of one 10 year old niece...anything by Adele
Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 AM

When I was young and taking guitar lesson in school, yes we could take guitar lessons instead of the usual music appreciation class. One of the first songs we were taught was Greensleeves, the old English folk song.

I remember it being fairly easy to learn and it was a type of song I was not regularly being exposed to. I still like that tune. With her taking piano lessons also this song could apply for both instruments.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:26 AM

Default I may be lazy but...

Teach her G C and D. Then have her look for songs she likes that use those chords. The inter webs is easy for kids. Then while looking for songs that use those chords she might find other songs that don’t use those chords, and want to learn more chords.

-- if you are wondering if a thread is dead just check to see if Raebrek was the last person to post. That is usually a pretty good sign. --

Raebrek!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

My 13yo daughter has been using various Guitar apps / internet to find songs that she wants to play. There are versions of nearly every song, even ones without guitars native to them. She plays a nice version of Billie Eilish's "Ocean Eyes," as well as some songs she previously learned on uke.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:01 PM

My kids loved the classics even though they weren't from there generation. A couple favorites were Rocky Raccoon and Free Falling from Tom Petty, both easy and fun to sing.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 06-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
When I was young and taking guitar lesson in school, yes we could take guitar lessons instead of the usual music appreciation class. One of the first songs we were taught was Greensleeves, the old English folk song.

I remember it being fairly easy to learn and it was a type of song I was not regularly being exposed to. I still like that tune. With her taking piano lessons also this song could apply for both instruments.
There are MANY easy songs from yesteryear that everyone was familiar with. The kids today are "different" and haven't been exposed to any of them. While Peter Paul and Mary, Dylan et al are easy to play, they aren't familiar to these kids, nor are they popular. I got some catching up to do to even have a clue as to what music will inspire today's 10 year olds. Sadly, much of the lyrics you hear today, particularly in rap are vulgar or negative...or simply depressive. Give me a good ol Beach Boys song any day over the tripe that today's kids listen to. FWIW, I've taught 5th graders for a couple of years now, and am not at all pleased with what I am seeing in general. I'll stop here for fear of aggrevating the forum administators. I digress.

Fortunately, my 10 year old student is an exception in many regards. But again, I have to be sensitive to the content of the lyrics before I propose a song.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Once she can handle F and Bm, "Under the Sea," from The Little Mermaid, is fun. And she undoubtedly already knows the words.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Once she can handle F and Bm, "Under the Sea," from The Little Mermaid, is fun. And she undoubtedly already knows the words.
Those chords will come. Right now she's just getting started. I have a trumpet lesson with her on Sunday and I'll check on her guitar progress at the end of the lesson and see where to go from there.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 PM

Amazing Grace
Kum-by-a
Michael Row the Boat Ashore

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
While Peter Paul and Mary, Dylan et al are easy to play, they aren't familiar to these kids, nor are they popular. I got some catching up to do to even have a clue as to what music will inspire today's 10 year olds. Sadly, much of the lyrics you hear today, particularly in rap are vulgar or negative...or simply depressive.

It’s fantastic that you are trying to understand what songs your young student relates to, and also are age-appropriate. I’m sure you inspire all of your students with that level of respect for them as individuals with their own interests.

If you lived nearby, I’d urge my sister to send her 10 year old over for lessons, even on trumpet.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:55 AM

I teach a 10-year old (boy) and had the same situation. After several weeks of learning open chords and strumming patterns and fingering exercises, I asked him what song he'd like to learn. Turns out his favorites are songs his parents listen to. Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, AC/DC, Neil Young etc. Go figure. A Horse With No Name is a simple one and he loves it. Also, Wish You Were Here and Heart of Gold. I guess what I'm saying is, find out what (s)he's been listening to all her life at home.
1957 Gretsch 6186
1996 Alvarez 2531 (nylon)
1987 American Standard Strat
1990 Epiphone Sheraton II
Old 06-05-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Sadly, much of the lyrics you hear today, particularly in rap are vulgar or negative...or simply depressive. Give me a good ol Beach Boys song any day over the tripe that today's kids listen to.
I'm right there with you, but on the upside, if they really already listen to that at 10yo you have little to worry about in the lyrics department...

Quote:
FWIW, I've taught 5th graders for a couple of years now, and am not at all pleased with what I am seeing in general.
(Should be an open door in general to anyone who's not a 5th grader him/herself, even to parents of those kids deep down in their hearts. Or maybe their grandparents...)

rpe1's suggestion is pretty good. I started learning the violin at 10 and never had any problem with the music I was given to study. It was only a few years later that I started to feel like listening to things my parents didn't listen to.
You may already have an idea of the kind of music that's played at her house, assuming you know why she's studying the trumpet!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:52 AM

I recommend a normal turning simple chord progression version of the water is wide
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpe1 View Post
I teach a 10-year old (boy) and had the same situation. After several weeks of learning open chords and strumming patterns and fingering exercises, I asked him what song he'd like to learn. Turns out his favorites are songs his parents listen to. Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, AC/DC, Neil Young etc. Go figure. A Horse With No Name is a simple one and he loves it. Also, Wish You Were Here and Heart of Gold. I guess what I'm saying is, find out what (s)he's been listening to all her life at home.
Yeah. There's a reason why those songs are all around us, everywhere - grocery store drugstore department store shopping mall . . . you don't need to be in your Golden Years to have heard "California Dreamin'" et cetera many hundreds of times.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion