The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
2000 of the Builders Editions only. The 17 body style is here to stay. What remains a mystery is where will it appear in the series going forward beyond the 300 series. He would not budge on that, claimed he did not know. My opinion is it will also transition to the 500 and 700 series as a regular model. My hope is for the 800 series. Hopefully Summer NAMM will introduce more GP's.
Thank you for explaining that. I didn't know that that the Builder's Editions would be a limited run, but I guess it makes sense. I too would hope they might offer a high-end regular GP model with the comfort features. I think the BE neck with the slightly fuller profile and rounded fretboard edges is supremely playable. So comfortable!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:20 AM

This may be been answered in other threads on the new model, but why does the 317 comes with a pick guard, but the 517 and 717 do not?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
This may be been answered in other threads on the new model, but why does the 317 comes with a pick guard, but the 517 and 717 do not?
My guess is because the 517 and 717 come with the silent satin finish, while the 317 comes with a gloss finish.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
Because the 517 and 717 are spec'd Builders Editions (limited editions) by the Builder. Therefore they do not conform with standard series specs, but the choices spec'd by the Builder for the Edition. Just as the K14 is not spec'd to the standard series of the Koa series, so is the case for the 517 and 717.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Was at the Taylor Roadshow a week or so ago and the Taylor Rep said as the web site said; a limited number are available to a limited amount of dealers. All in all only 2000 are being made, period. Keep in mind, except for the 317 the others are builders editions, which in and of itself is limited. It is probably safe to say the line will be extended into other series. I am of the reasoning this was done to see how the instrument would go over. The GP's will likely expand through the series based on what the 317 is built on. Summer NAMM is around the corner. Hmmm! 817 is looking good!
I'm holding out for an 817 as well.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 PM

I tagged along with a friend who had a work assignment in Ft. Wayne. He was busy for 90 minutes and I had nothing to do. Guess where I went. Yup, Sweetwater. This was my second visit so I wasn’t surprised by the scope, quality and friendliness of the place but it is impressive nonetheless.

They had a very impressive selection of Taylors hanging in their acoustic room. I’ll spare you all the high end candy as the reason I’m relating this here is that I played the GPs for the first time. Yes, all three are in stock as of this writing.

I’m a Martin owner and player so you can take that into consideration. Guess what? The Grand Pacifics are guitars! They sound just fine. They have Taylor’s usual outstanding fit and finish and they play fine. I was really surprised by the beefy neck. First thought was how many Martin Vintage fans this neck carve would please. Second was how easy it is to bend the strings. Does it come with light strings? [No, mediums according to the website.] I’m very tuned into this aspect as I recently bought a 000-28MD primarily for its short scale and light bracing.

Finally, I will say that playing the 517 back-to-back with the 717 gave me the most distinctive mahogany vs rosewood comparison I’ve ever experienced. The difference is profound. To my ear, the rosewood was preferred with its resonance, complexity and overtones. All-in-all, very nice execution. Now, I wish I would have made them fetch the ladder for the stunningly beautiful PS14 Redwood/Cocobolo. I might have become a Taylor owner (again).

Last edited by IndyHD28; 06-04-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
I tagged along with a friend who had a work assignment in Ft. Wayne. He was busy for 90 minutes and I had nothing to do. Guess where I went. Yup, Sweetwater. This was my second visit so I wasn’t surprised by the scope, quality and friendliness of the place but it is impressive nonetheless.

They had a very impressive selection of Taylors hanging in their acoustic room. I’ll spare you all the high end candy as the reason I’m relating this here is that I played the GPs for the first time. Yes, all three are in stock as of this writing.

I’m a Martin owner and player so you can take that into consideration. Guess what? The Grand Pacifics are guitars! They sound just fine. They have Taylor’s usual outstanding fit and finish and they play fine. I was really surprised by the beefy neck. First thought was how many Martin Vintage fans this neck carve would please. Second was how easy it is to bend the strings. Does it come with light strings? I’m very tuned into this aspect as I recently bought a 000-28MD primarily for its short scale and light bracing.

Finally, I will say that playing the 517 back-to-back with the 717 gave me the most distinctive mahogany vs rosewood comparison I’ve ever experienced. The difference is profound. To my ear, the rosewood was preferred with its resonance, complexity and overtones. All-in-all, very nice execution. Now, I wish I would have made them fetch the ladder for the PS14 Redwood/Cocobolo. I might have become a Taylor owner (again).
Yep...I’ve had my 317 for a few days now. I’m going to spend a couple more days with it before posting a NGD thread...but I can say right now I’m shocked by how nice a guitar it is. Especially after you get the Elixirs off (I replaced them with Santa Cruz Mid-Tension strings) and wake it up with a couple of days of heavy strumming. This Martin/Gibson guy is very impressed.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...I’ve had my 317 for a few days now.
Shocked to read you sold the DSS but when you know you know. I bought a glorious looking K24ce-V last year but after seven months I had to admit it didn’t measure up Tone-wise. So, back to spruce tops and Martin.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Shocked to read you sold the DSS but when you know you know. I bought a glorious looking K24ce-V last year but after seven months I had to admit it didn’t measure up Tone-wise. So, back to spruce tops and Martin.
Yep...four months of fun, but finally had to admit it’s a great guitar but that brash, raw, untamed tone just didn’t fit my style. Fortunately it sold real quick to a fellow AGFer who’s DELIGHTED to have it.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:07 PM

i played a 517 this past week...i definitely liked it...i also thought it was all Taylor...didnt love the finish, but that's just personal preference...
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion