The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2018, 01:49 AM

Default Mesa Boogie Rosette

300 watts?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers...300/index.html
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 03-10-2018, 07:42 AM

Its Impressive looking. I just looked at it. I didn't turn it on because I was afraid I would like it. It cost about twice of what the Fishman Performer does.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM

Clips on the website sound fabulous....!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Very impressive - outstanding EQ controls. Pre and post EQ effects, with line lift, for the output. I really appreciate the "First Do No Harm" objective.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Clips on the website sound fabulous....!
True for guitar sounds. Not as true for vocal sounds. Awesome customer service. Better solutions for PA.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
True for guitar sounds. Not as true for vocal sounds. Awesome customer service. Better solutions for PA.
But it's a guitar amp - not a PA....!
Old 03-10-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
But it's a guitar amp - not a PA....!
Keep it that way and you'll be fine. Or way better than fine!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:24 AM

I've been quite happy with the way my Rosette reproduces vocals. If you have the opportunity, always a good idea to try out gear in person, voices vary, as do requirements and expectations.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 AM

"I've been quite happy with the way my Rosette reproduces vocals."

But...does something so small really need 300 watts? That's a whole lot of power.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 03-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmorgan View Post
I've been quite happy with the way my Rosette reproduces vocals. If you have the opportunity, always a good idea to try out gear in person, voices vary, as do requirements and expectations.
Former owner.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarget View Post

But...does something so small really need 300 watts? That's a whole lot of power.
What I can tell you is that if your electricity is funky, this amp will expose it, meaning there is no doubt it really is 300 watts! That was a main reason I had to let mine go; the landlord wasn't going to completely redo the electricity so I could use the Rosette without it crackling. btw it was definitely the home wiring not the amp, as it worked fine everywhere else.

Last edited by troggg; 03-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:

My understanding is that watts are related to power consumption, they may or may not translate to how powerful an amp is in terms of volume.

300 watts isn't that high for an active PA speaker which is essentially what the business end of the Rosette is. It's common for active speakers these days to be rated at 1000 watts or even more.

I have found in reference to needing clean power, that the Rosette does need to be plugged into an outlet with a good ground, but that's true of a lot of audio equipment. My house has a spotty electrical system as well, only about half the outlets are grounded, and I do have hum problems if I plug into one missing the ground.

-Jim

Last edited by jimmorgan; 03-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:32 PM

Let me comment on the issue of power and proper grounding.

The grounding is used for 2 different purposes, the primary one being a low impedance fault path back to the source that keeps the voltage differences due to the fault current from rising to dangerous levels. While this is important everywhere, let's not forget our friends that operate with 230 volts.

The second reason is to provide a reference potential for which to control noise, both audio noise and RF or EMC noise. As the available gain gets higher and the power gets larger, this plays a more important role in keeping the noise floor low.

For example, when I was touring in the PA world, every time the system size doubles, the noise floor would rise by between 3 and 6dB. Every time the sensitivity increased by 3dB, the noise floor would rise by 3dB. What was a total non-issue with a 1000 watt PA was a HUGE challenge with a 100,000 watt PA. The raw noise floor was roughly 40dB higher, so EVERY piece of equipment, the grounding schemes, the console noise floor, the processing and effects noise floor, everything became that much more important. Folks sometimes ask me why the bigger pro consoles (specifically in the analog world) cost so much more that the typical MI grade 16 channel mixer. The reason is that every 3dB reduction in noise floor almost doubles the cost of the console (plus the additional feature set of course) but on a bigger system it's really important.

Since the Rosette uses fairly efficient speakers (Neo motor, edge wound voice coil, tighter than normal gap tolerances), plus it has more available power, means that it can achieve higher SPL but at the same time greater attention needs to be paid to things like grounding. (not just power, but also the instrument's pick-up system, cabling, pedal or rack effects, etc).

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:

A single QSC K-series powered speaker is 1000 watts. It’s about headroom rather than volume....
Old 03-12-2018, 07:17 AM

My point about power is because I have never plugged a guitar into a guitar amp that had that much power. I once owned an old 200 watt Fender Twin that could easily have been used to kill people, it was so loud. So...300 watts through smaller speakers just seemed like overkill, to me.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification