The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-06-2002, 12:59 AM

Default Surround sound guitar

Does anybody plug their guitar into their surround sound system?

It's pretty cool.Try it.

Muggy
Old 01-06-2002, 07:21 AM

Question

I thought about trying that, but am afraid the electronic levels and ampedences would be wrong. How are you set-up? Do you go directly from the guitar pre-amp to the sound system line-in with an RCA Y-cable?
Old 01-06-2002, 09:21 AM

Aruthas,

I talked about this in a different thread,I think it's called "stairwell playing".It was posted in general guitar discussion.I'm cant figure out how to post quotes,but anyway,......
I come straight out of the end jack of the guitar,convert that over to RCA ,then plug that into one of the inputs.I use a video 3 input.You can use anything but PHONO. It dosent work very well,has something to do with what your worried about
What kind of reciever do you have?Does it have DTS?

Muggy
Old 01-06-2002, 09:44 AM

Muggy,

I have a very nice Yamaha RX-V596, it does have DTS and more features than I will ever need. I got a pair of Boston Acoustic A40 front speakers, a trio of Paradigm speakers for center/rear and a cute little Energy subwoofer. The only problem with the Yamaha in this context is that it does only a so-so job when distributing a stereo source to the six speakers. A friend of mine has a Denon A/V receiver and listening to music CDs is a little more enjoyable because of the way it creates a faux-5.1 stereo output with 2-channel input.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:49 AM

Aruthas,

Go to the search feature,put in "stairwell playing" my post is on the second page.Read the whole thread though,it's real interesting.

I woluld reply with a quote,but I cant figure how to do it.I tried cut copy paste yadda yadda yadda.I cant move it out to a different form.I'm sure there is a way to do it though.

Muggy
Old 01-06-2002, 10:03 AM

Muggy,

As long as you enclose what you want to quote between the braketed "QUOTE" and the final "/QUOTE" instruction, then press the submit button, that should do the trick, like this:
Quote:
This is a quote.
I'll look up that thread you mention, thanks.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:04 AM

Aruthas - I think this is the post Muggy mentioned.

Bill

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Muggy
I know this is an old thread but I just saw it a couple of days ago.
I havent had the chance to play at any of those places ,ecspecially the sewage pit.That is the coolest,Noflat.Heh heh!With the kind of the kind of work I do ,electrcal,I run in to alot of stuff like that though.This one place we worked was a tunnel,poured from concrete.It was 300' long,7' tall and 6' wide.I had some big cardboard boxes and I started drummin on em and it was cool as hell,talk about bass tube.Take a Bose sub and times it by a 100 with some echo.Anyway,I dont have anything around the apartment remotely like that or what you all are talking about.But,if anybody else has got the same problem and if you have a Dolby Digital reciever,You can get some cool sounds out of it.You can plug into one of the inputs(anything except Phono)and preferably one that you dont have anything hooked up to,because you have to do alot of tweeking with the delays and whatnot.Each source has individual settings.
I plug my guitar into the Video #3,left and right auxillary jacks(sometimes there on the front of the reciever)You'll need an adapter.Radio Shack has them.You can also use the RCA jacks on the front of a vcr,like what you plug a Playstation into.Gotta have rear surround speakers and maybe a center speaker.A inline EQ for your guitar helps out.
The reciever I have has got all these different settings like:Church,Arena,Stadium,Large Hall,Small Hall,ect,ect.
The guitar tone is pretty good to.
You can also use the microphone jack on the front of your tape deck if it has one.I think you have to hit record to get the signal to go through.
If you all get it set up let me know what you think.
Muggy.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:08 AM

I figured that part out,I just dont want to re type the whole post because I'm not the fastest typer.anyway.....
It's not a stereo signal that comes out of my guitar,I have the cheapie fishyman.The blender may have stereo capability.
I had a Carvin solid body electric guitar that was stereo.Bridge pickup&neck pick up,Had two jacks on the guitar,never used them both though.
The prossessor can do some pretty cool stuff with the mono signal though.I have to turn my Highs down on the reciever or the guitar or both.A graphic eq (like a DOD or something like that)helps out.You have to fool around with the delay settings on the reciever quite a bit.I'ts pretty neat, cause you can really hear a difference when you change them.When you get it set for the guitar it sounds great but if you put in a regular signal like a cd or raidio,it doesnt sound good at all,all mushy sounding.That's why you want to use an input that you dont use.On mine , some of the settings are paticular to the input but I think the eq goes across the board so thats why the seperate eq works out pretty good.
Actuallty,I havent fooled around with it in a while.I got an amp and after that I quit messin with the reciever.

Muggy
Old 01-06-2002, 12:14 PM

Thanks again BillM!!

Muggy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification