The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2002, 05:29 PM

Smile 512 Players Please Respond

I'm interested in hearing your comments about your 512. I have one on order now. What do you like about it, dislike, etc. Also, how does it sound, and how has the sound changed over time? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2002, 08:30 PM

I have a 512 that was made in october 2001. I bought a 512 in nov 2000 that I had problems with and Taylor ended up replacing with my new 512. To be new, mine has a very mature sound and I like the koa rosette better in person than in pictures. Mine has a fishman natural 1 only(no big hole in the side) and no cutaway. I love the combination of englemann and mahogany. The sound is plenty big enough for me and I think it strums just fine in addition to being a big hit for fingerstyle. I think you will love it. This is not one of Taylor's most popular models(at least not before becoming a "CE" version)so you may not get what you might from other models if you ever decide to sell it, but I wouldn't worry too much about that if it plays like mine does.Oh, by the way, the 512 I bought in nov. 2000 was a dec. 1995 model (new- old stock), and I ended up thinking the dealer was a little shady so don't worry about problems. Taylor cannot be beat imho.
Matthew 6:33
(formerly cc)
Old 01-18-2002, 07:52 AM

I've had my 512 since Nov. 97 and love it. I'm not good at describing tone etc., but its a great little fingerstyle guitar. I too think that you will love it.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:48 AM

To: ChrisC and Chip

Thanks for the responses. I'm really looking forward to getting my 512. I ordered it this week. Engleman, no cutaway, no electronics - with a clear pickguard. Maybe I'll have it in April.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:20 PM

I thought about removing my pickguard, but since my top has darkened over the years I figure it would look funny (lighter) under it.I suppose over time it would darken and match but...
anyway I hope you enjoy your new 512. please post when you get it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification