The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-10-2022, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Default McPherson Sable Concerns

Well, after nearly 4 years of looking and ogling a Sable, I finally bought one from Eddie’s guitars last week. I purchased it Monday and it arrived on Wednesday.

Upon opening it I was visually stunned, but after tuning it up I was a little underwhelmed. To be fair, it had been over a year since I’d played one in person, but I remembered more volume and more bass. No big deal.

I played it for a few days and found the sweet spot, it was really growing on me. Until I had it out this weekend and noticed the bridge was lifting in the corner on both the treble and bass side. See pics.
IMG_0047.jpgIMG_0046.jpgIMG_0044.jpgIMG_0045.jpgIMG_0042.jpg

I reached out to Eddie’s this morning and after a short phone call, emailing them the above photos, they have offered me an option to exchange or have it repaired. I’m going to exchange it but I was curious is anyone has experienced dramatic differences between different Sables like is common with wood guitars?

I just remembered being a little more seduced by the Sable previously. It was the model with the big headstock logo and the circle fretboard inlays, maybe they’ve made some changes or maybe my ears have changed. I just thought I’d ask.

Thanks!

Also, Eddie’s Guitars seems to be a fantastic place.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:18 PM

I agree. While I love the tone, I found the sound somewhat muted. Weird... I think it's all the bracing inside perhaps?
Old 10-10-2022, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. I had the opposite reaction. I played one for a few days a year ago and liked it but didn't love it. It was the one with the big garish badge on the headstock. Couldn't afford it at the time without selling my 000-28EC, which, after playing both a lot, just wasn't gonna do. There's some overlap in their sound (somewhat surprisingly), but I liked the EC way more than the Sable. This year I was able to afford a Sable without having to sell anything. I've had it for almost a month and I'm blown away by this one - this has the much more subtle "McPherson" logo in script letters on the headstock. And although I don't need to financially - I'm thinking about selling my 000-28EC because the Sable covers so much of he same ground.

I think it takes more to drive the Sable's top than either of my wooden guitars, but with either medium strings, or a heavier pick, or both, it just sounds incredible. I'm not playing it finger style, which may present it's own issues. I've stayed with light strings, but I'm playing it with a 1.5mm pick where I play my other two guitars with a 1mm or sometimes lighter pick. What little fingerpicking I do happens on my CEO-7, which I prefer for that application for a few reasons.

The bridge shouldn't be lifting, so that's worth fixing or exchanging. But I'm LOVING the newer Sable much more than the older one...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 10-11-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:06 PM

I was under the impression that nothing has changed other than aesthetics... Weird. I'm running light strings as well. I found mediums much too painful and tiring to play. Perhaps the scale length is to play as well? Not sure if there is another work around. I think I heard about some strings that were lower tension?
Old 10-10-2022, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Interesting. I had the opposite reaction. I played one for a few days a year ago and liked it but didn't love it. It was the one with the big garish badge on the headstock. Couldn't afford it at the time without selling my 000-28EC, which, after playing both a lot, just wasn't gonna do. There's some overlap in their sound (somewhat surprisingly), but I liked the EC way more than the Sable. This year I was able to afford a Sable without having to sell anything. I've had it for almost a month and I'm blown away by this one - this has the much more subtle "McPherson" logo in script letters on the headstock. And although I don't need to financially - I'm getting ready to sell my 000-28EC because I just can't see when I'm gonna pick it up over the Sable. The EC just doesn't sound as full and I'd be keeping it around primarily because I like how it looks, which to me is a not a good reason to hold onto a guitar.

I think it takes more to drive the Sable's top than either of my wooden guitars, but with either medium strings, or a heavier pick, or both, it just sounds incredible. I'm not playing it finger style, which may present it's own issues. I've stayed with light strings, but I'm playing it with a 1.5mm pick where I play my other two guitars with a 1mm or sometimes lighter pick. What little fingerpicking I do happens on my CEO-7, which I prefer for that application for a few reasons.

The bridge shouldn't be lifting, so that's worth fixing or exchanging. But I'm LOVING the newer Sable much more than the older one...

-Ray

They are going to send me a camo one. The only other option was the honeycomb blackout, but it doesn’t have the HSC.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
I was under the impression that nothing has changed other than aesthetics...
That's what McPherson told me too....
Old 10-10-2022, 07:07 PM

Hi Accraw3,

I’ve got a Sable and quite like it.

When I first got it I found the tone on the dark side and volume seemed low. I found the following tips helped bring out the treble (which in turn made it seem louder):

1. Stay with medium gage strings — don’t go light.

2. If the action feels stiff with medium strings, check the nut slot height. I slightly lowered the nut slots on mine which improved the playability. Be careful on this one — if you aren’t comfortable being your own guitar tech then take it to a local shop that has a good acoustic guitar tech.

3. Choose strings that are on the bright side. I like 80/20’s, not the coated Elixers but ones with a thinner “treatment” instead so they last a while (like the Martin Lifespans, I think that’s actually what I’ve got on right now). Also try Ernie Ball’s Aluminum Bronze.

4. Flatpick — try one a little thinner than you might normally use. As an example, on most of my guitars I prefer a large triangle (Fender 351 shape) in a 1.5 mm thickness with a speed bevel. I like Dunlop Primetones and Wegen — a little less costly than the famous Blue Chips. On the Sable, I like a 1.0 mm thickness large triangle (available from Wegen). Sounds like a small difference but was a big help in bringing out a little more treble.

With those adjustments, I find I really like the Sable. It’s not a D18 (after all it’s an OM sized guitar) but I’ve taken it to acoustic jam sessions and been happy with tone and volume. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-10-2022, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

It may just be a matter of expectations. I wasn’t overly impressed with the Sable when I first played one, so no expectations for this one, and it blew me away. The OP was blown away when he first played one, his expectations were sky high, and he was disappointed. Seems kind of normal to me…

May or may not be all that’s at play, but it doesn’t seem far fetched to me that it could be part of it…

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 10-11-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Hi Accraw3,

I’ve got a Sable and quite like it.

When I first got it I found the tone on the dark side and volume seemed low. I found the following tips helped bring out the treble (which in turn made it seem louder):

1. Stay with medium gage strings — don’t go light.

2. If the action feels stiff with medium strings, check the nut slot height. I slightly lowered the nut slots on mine which improved the playability. Be careful on this one — if you aren’t comfortable being your own guitar tech then take it to a local shop that has a good acoustic guitar tech.

3. Choose strings that are on the bright side. I like 80/20’s, not the coated Elixers but ones with a thinner “treatment” instead so they last a while (like the Martin Lifespans, I think that’s actually what I’ve got on right now). Also try Ernie Ball’s Aluminum Bronze.

4. Flatpick — try one a little thinner than you might normally use. As an example, on most of my guitars I prefer a large triangle (Fender 351 shape) in a 1.5 mm thickness with a speed bevel. I like Dunlop Primetones and Wegen — a little less costly than the famous Blue Chips. On the Sable, I like a 1.0 mm thickness large triangle (available from Wegen). Sounds like a small difference but was a big help in bringing out a little more treble.

With those adjustments, I find I really like the Sable. It’s not a D18 (after all it’s an OM sized guitar) but I’ve taken it to acoustic jam sessions and been happy with tone and volume. Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I’ll see how the new one is when it arrives, but I will make some adjustments if it needs it.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:37 PM

I agree that to get the best of the Sable you really have to drive the top. This is impossibke if you, like me, play only fingerstyle with your bare fingers, with no nails or picks. That is the reason why, with some regret, I sold it.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:11 PM

That's a real bummer. Playing a two hour gig with medium strings is killer! Does that actually get better with practice?

Will definitely try the nut slot trick.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I agree that to get the best of the Sable you really have to drive the top. This is impossibke if you, like me, play only fingerstyle with your bare fingers, with no nails or picks. That is the reason why, with some regret, I sold it.

I can see that. I recently got into using Black Mountain thumb picks, which I like a lot. But I also generally play with a light touch.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:54 PM

Had a Sable for awhile, impulsively traded towards a different guitar

Had planned to use outside in all weathers but didn't

Kind of wish I still had it now that I'm wanting to play outside in cold again

Remember tone as better than expected, but more functional than inherently soulful...probably a carbon fiber trade off
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass
Old 10-11-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lee View Post
Remember tone as better than expected, but more functional than inherently soulful...probably a carbon fiber trade off
Excellent statement really. I would say though, that the Sable and Touring both have about as much "soul" as a man-made material deserves to have. Just great sounding guitars and, in my opinion, that would be true even if they were made from junkyard scrap metal.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Ah, Grasshopper, "the soul" is in the player not the instrument.

I don't notice that my CF guitars have any more or less "soul" than my wood guitars. Although, when I ordered my X10 when they were first released, I did ask Alistair to put in a bit of extra "Irish mojo". I noticed it right away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber