The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-18-2022, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitars and designs, Steve! I’m drooling already. I’m a big fan of these designs and your unique, beautiful aesthetic. By the way, your Edwinson Perfomance guitar that I have in Malaysian Blackwood and Adirondack has blossomed into the loudest, most responsive guitar I’ve played! It’s phenomenal.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankelsey View Post
I love this thread, beautiful and functional designs!
I love your acknowledgement, morgankelsey. Thank you kindly!
Old 06-18-2022, 09:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
Beautiful guitars and designs, Steve! I’m drooling already. I’m a big fan of these designs and your unique, beautiful aesthetic. By the way, your Edwinson Perfomance guitar that I have in Malaysian Blackwood and Adirondack has blossomed into the loudest, most responsive guitar I’ve played! It’s phenomenal.
Hoaloha, Ku'u hoa kamahao Russell Hawaii! You always light me up when you say Hi from HI. So glad your guitar is serving you well. Let me know if you ever would like me to make another one for you. It would be a singular pleasure-- for both of us, I think.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Steve, I love how you are pushing yourself, developing your aesthetic. My favorite of these is the Pernambuco OM. I cannot imagine that going home with you to Alabama. Unlike some, I love the way Pernambuco looks, and I like it more having owned Pernambuco guitars and having come to love the sound. And that is an exceptionally nice set you have there! In a couple years, people will say "Remember when you could find quartersawn Pernambuco? I wish I had snapped that guitar up when I had the chance." I think the wood is rare enough, and the sound unique and good enough, that they just won't sell very often. But what do I know? Anyway, thanks for sharing your super interesting guitars.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:32 PM

Steve, when you stop here on the way to the show, you are forbidden to allow me to play that Pernambuco guitar. If I do, it probably will not make it to the show.��
Old 06-19-2022, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Smile Zounds!

And Egads, too. Spectacular stuff, Steve!!!

What a stash…

Way to go

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-19-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post

Thank you! Are you coming to the show?
Steve

Man, don’t I wish! I’d love to get to B.I.G. one of these days, but it’s not doable right now. Just gotta live vicariously through all those that are fortunate enough!
Old 06-19-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Steve

Man, don’t I wish! I’d love to get to B.I.G. one of these days, but it’s not doable right now. Just gotta live vicariously through all those that are fortunate enough!
Hate to say it, but if I don't continue to build on attendance, there may not be a "one of these days".
Old 06-19-2022, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful work as always Steve!

To the comments on the omega headstock, I have one on my Edwinson performance. I find that it also is easier to do string changes than my traditional slot heads along with having the benefits of the string angle. I can just loop around the peg like I would for a paddle head.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahobbs View Post
Steve, when you stop here on the way to the show, you are forbidden to allow me to play that Pernambuco guitar. If I do, it probably will not make it to the show.��
Ken-- I will try to keep the Pernambuco Eclipse in the case, but I can't promise anything. My guitars are the boss of me. THEY lay down the rules. You may need to arm yourself with a baseball bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
And Egads, too. Spectacular stuff, Steve!!!

What a stash…

Way to go

Paul
Thank you Paul! I love my job, thanks to people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Steve

Hopefully we'll do this again next year, and you'll be able to attend. Let's intend that circumstance arrange themselves to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Hate to say it, but if I don't continue to build on attendance, there may not be a "one of these days".
Like I said...
I have a feeling the show will be very successful this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Beautiful work as always Steve!

To the comments on the omega headstock, I have one on my Edwinson performance. I find that it also is easier to do string changes than my traditional slot heads along with having the benefits of the string angle. I can just loop around the peg like I would for a paddle head.
Thanks for your input on that, Ron! I was pretty shocked when, shortly after I came out with the Omega headstock, it quickly became the most requested design on custom builds. Apparently, some people like the way it looks, even though the design impetus was 90% about the functionality.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Oh man I hope you’re able to Tom! By all accounts it is an extremely special time! This season of life just won’t work for my family right now. I hope it grows for you!
Old 06-19-2022, 01:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahobbs View Post
It’s OK Steve…I haven’t been forbidden to let Ken play it

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-19-2022, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Steve, I love how you are pushing yourself, developing your aesthetic. My favorite of these is the Pernambuco OM. I cannot imagine that going home with you to Alabama. Unlike some, I love the way Pernambuco looks, and I like it more having owned Pernambuco guitars and having come to love the sound. And that is an exceptionally nice set you have there! In a couple years, people will say "Remember when you could find quartersawn Pernambuco? I wish I had snapped that guitar up when I had the chance." I think the wood is rare enough, and the sound unique and good enough, that they just won't sell very often. But what do I know? Anyway, thanks for sharing your super interesting guitars.
Hi, Jamie,

I have a thing about Pernambuco too. I have a decent stash of lumber laid by; but the set I used for this guitar is the best I've ever seen. I have another back set from this billet that has similar figure and color, but I'm on the search for another board that will provide matching sides. It's interesting that, in a blind tap test, Pernambuco sounds remarkably similar to Brazilian rosewood. This Eclipse is the first Pernambuco guitar I've made, and it's matched with an exceptional Adirondack top. I have high hopes for great tone. Although I expect it will sound great from the get-go, whoever comes to own this guitar will be rewarded with a long tonal maturation curve. Five years from now, WOOOOOO...
Old 06-19-2022, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

It’s truly been a multi-faceted education over the past six-or-so years with Steve. When we first met, I was still building my shop (which took me over 3 years to complete), and Steve was living four hours north of Fairhope, in Birmingham. He knew that I was building the shop specifically to have a space to build guitars, so he invited me up for a visit.

I know it sounds outlandish for someone to invest that kind of time and money into a space just to chase a dream…but I had dreamed of building acoustic guitars for 25 years, and I wasn’t getting any younger. The first day that I spent in the shop with Steve was life-changing. He provided my first encounter (up close and personal) to the world of lutherie, and my life hasn’t been the same since. During those three days, Steve demonstrated processes and procedures that he had developed over the previous 20+ years, and I was captivated. I returned multiple times during the following months, as I continued working on my shop. You all know by now that Steve eventually relocated to Fairhope, and we now spend our days toiling away in obscurity out in that shop…

All this to say the following…
I build within a clean and simple aesthetic…mostly because that’s just the way my brain works. I’m slow and methodical, slightly OCD, and prefer for my work to frame the beautiful woods that God has created and given me to work with. I also keep everything documented so that I can develop a deeper understanding of what makes my guitars sound the way they do. In other words, I stay in my lane and I’m content with driving 55mph in my Toyota…

…then Steve comes flying by me at 200mph in his Tesla smiling and waving from the other lane…

AND I LOVE IT

What a privilege to watch from my perspective across the shop, as someone who’s spent a lifetime developing the knowledge base and body of work that Steve now possesses…and is now enjoying a personal-renaissance in his own work. Steve loves building guitars…but I think he had gotten a little bored staying in his lane for 20+ years (even though his lane has always been on a winding mountain road). This probably became painfully obvious to him while watching me every day building guitars with the excitement of a little kid at Christmas.

So with the enthusiasm of a middle-aged man entering the doldrums of a mid-life crisis, Steve is doing what everyone should do when put in that situation…he bought a sports car. Well, actually…he’s building a fleet of exotic sports cars. You see some of them in this post…and they are all fun, exciting and very unique. The best part, though, is that Steve is having fun again, and is more excited about lutherie than I’ve ever seen him be.

I’m quite pleased to be driving my Toyota at the moment…truly just feeling humbled and blessed to have the opportunity to be driving at all. But, man…it sure is fun watching Steve fly by me at 200mph in his Tesla…smiling and waving from the other lane…

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-20-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
It’s truly been a multi-faceted education over the past six-or-so years with Steve. When we first met, I was still building my shop (which took me over 3 years to complete), and Steve was living four hours north of Fairhope, in Birmingham. He knew that I was building the shop specifically to have a space to build guitars, so he invited me up for a visit.

I know it sounds outlandish for someone to invest that kind of time and money into a space just to chase a dream…but I had dreamed of building acoustic guitars for 25 years, and I wasn’t getting any younger. The first day that I spent in the shop with Steve was life-changing. He provided my first encounter (up close and personal) to the world of lutherie, and my life hasn’t been the same since. During those three days, Steve demonstrated processes and procedures that he had developed over the previous 20+ years, and I was captivated. I returned multiple times during the following months, as I continued working on my shop. You all know by now that Steve eventually relocated to Fairhope, and we now spend our days toiling away in obscurity out in that shop…

All this to say the following…
I build within a clean and simple aesthetic…mostly because that’s just the way my brain works. I’m slow and methodical, slightly OCD, and prefer for my work to frame the beautiful woods that God has created and given me to work with. I also keep everything documented so that I can develop a deeper understanding of what makes my guitars sound the way they do. In other words, I stay in my lane and I’m content with driving 55mph in my Toyota…

…then Steve comes flying by me at 200mph in his Tesla smiling and waving from the other lane…

AND I LOVE IT

What a privilege to watch from my perspective across the shop, as someone who’s spent a lifetime developing the knowledge base and body of work that Steve now possesses…and is now enjoying a personal-renaissance in his own work. Steve loves building guitars…but I think he had gotten a little bored staying in his lane for 20+ years (even though his lane has always been on a winding mountain road). This probably became painfully obvious to him while watching me every day building guitars with the excitement of a little kid at Christmas.

So with the enthusiasm of a middle-aged man entering the doldrums of a mid-life crisis, Steve is doing what everyone should do when put in that situation…he bought a sports car. Well, actually…he’s building a fleet of exotic sports cars. You see some of them in this post…and they are all fun, exciting and very unique. The best part, though, is that Steve is having fun again, and is more excited about lutherie than I’ve ever seen him be.

I’m quite pleased to be driving my Toyota at the moment…truly just feeling humbled and blessed to have the opportunity to be driving at all. But, man…it sure is fun watching Steve fly by me at 200mph in his Tesla…smiling and waving from the other lane…
I love this so much! This made my day

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop