The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 AM

Default "A" String Contacts Low "E" String Tuning Peg - What Problems? How Easily Remedied?

I am bringing this issue to this highly knowledgeable group of folks because I am not highly knowledgeable. I neither build nor repair guitars and I've been playing less than five years.

I am looking at a new OM guitar built by a small shop luthier. As stated in the subject line, the "A" string makes contact with the low "E" string tuning peg. It's currently strung with light strings. So I assume that it's a bigger issue if I want to use medium or medium light gauge strings.

Although I cannot tell that this is currently causing any problems with tone or intonation, it seems logical that this condition could cause several different problems and might cause larger issues as the guitar ages. Again, I acknowledge that I know virtually nothing about this issue.

So, I'm asking the experts.....What, if any, problems is this likely to cause?

Assuming that this should be repaired/corrected, what is the preferred repair procedure?

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 AM

Like this?

If so, not a problem -- just a skinny headstock. Or, in my case, a weird headstock.

The strings' vibrating length is terminated at the nut, so while it's not ideal, it shouldn't be a problem when you play the guitar.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Yeah it's not a problem just a cosmetic personal preference. Personally it would drive me crazy but it will not affect the tone. One of the last guitars I build was a Selmer guitar with the slotted peg head and the E strings touch the ramp way into the tuning pegs. I forgot to account for the zero fret in my design. This drives me nuts but it's an easy fix when ever I get around to it. In your case there really is no easy fix other than plugging and re-drilling the holes if possible.

I have seen some people 'solve' this problem by winding the E-Strings the opposite direction so that the string enters the post from the left side. Of course you have to twist the peg the opposite way to tune it but that would drive me crazy as well
Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM

If the two strings just barely make contact, it could cause a buzz.

Did the builder perchance use the Scott Antes plan?

Pat
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Default Always A Helpful Group!

Thanks for all of the great info. I feel much better about this issue now.

No, the builder did not use the referenced plan.

What a great group of folks on this forum!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair