The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Roland Blues Cube and the Tone Capsules

Pretty good Band Name!

But it's not of course. When I was amp shopping a few months ago, I ended up with my Boogie Transatlantic 15 (which goes to 25 watts... Kind of like how my favorite speakers, the Vintage 30 speaker, goes to 60?) but before finding it the leader in the race was the Blues Cube 30 watt. The main reason I didn't end up with the blues cube is that the 30 watter has no capacity to accept the Tone Capsules, and I needed a 60 watt 2x12 (the smallest that takes the capsules) like I need a hole in the head. I never take the Boogie over the 5 watt setting at home, and have never been happier with an amp.

Anyway, you may be asking "why would I spend close to $300 dollars for a plug in "tube" on a $1000 amp? Well, because they are dripping with magical goodness! I've played the Eric Johnson one before, and while I loved the tone changes, I had no clue about the depth of the genius behind it until this video.

Apparently NO SIGNAL goes through them! They aren't Effects as such. They "reprogram" the amp. In the case of the EJ one, they turn the clean channel into EJs Deluxe tone, and the dirt channel turns into his pet Marshall sound. Very cool to footswitch between those two preset tones!

Check the vid here if you are interested

Old 10-14-2016, 08:28 AM

To clarify, the EJ is the most expensive capsule. Others are around $200

And jump to 23:30 for some amazing feedback... From a solid state amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars