The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-13-2021, 10:20 AM

Default Emerald spec question on bridge

Hi folks. I hope you're doing well.

I've read up on this enough to confuse myself, so please forgive any redundancy in my post. I've only been learning 10 months and have a great respect for the advice on this forum. There is an internal debate in my household that I'd appreciate help resolving.

Ignoring looks, traditionalism and/or any physical effort or cost required for either bridge/saddle system, which bridge/saddle would you select on a custom 2021 Emerald X7, 24" scale, for a purely acoustic tone? (e.g., no electronics, just acoustic)

Option 1 example: bridge & saddle, with pins (acoustic only)

example 1.JPG

Option 2 example: pinless carbon with no pickups (acoustic only)

example 2.JPG

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by outwestbound; 08-13-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I do not believe bridge pins are available anymore. As I recall, Alistair mentioned it in one of his recent shipping videos. That being said, I’d go with pinless anyway.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
I do not believe bridge pins are available anymore. As I recall, Alistair mentioned it in one of his recent shipping videos. That being said, I’d go with pinless anyway.
Girlfriend clipped these images last night off emerald’s site advertising the X7. That’s all I know. Thanks for responding.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:20 PM

I have an X30 with bridge pins and a Kestrel with a hand carved archtop bridge. I like bridge pins because that is what I’ve grown used over the past many decades. I also like the pinless bridge design that you see on Lowden Guitars, however, Emerald does not offer that as an option. Lastly, I like the ghost saddle intonatable bridge for its utility. I wish that Emerald offered that option without the piezo pickups as I don’t favor the sound of piezos and would never use them.

I do think that having an onboard pickup system, however, would help with resale if you were ever to decide to put your Emerald up for sale. I’m not saying that you would necessarily make more money but, rather, that you might interest more potential buyers.

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
…I like the ghost saddle intonatable bridge for its utility. I wish that Emerald offered that option without the piezo pickups as I don’t favor the sound of piezos and would never use them.

I agree and good news for you and me is that Emerald will build with that bridge sans the pickups and take $150 off while they are at it. I spoke with Kev directly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber