The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-23-2019, 10:08 AM

Default Used Genz Benz Compak 300 Question

Greetings fellow pickers,

Been a lurker of the forum for a while now, just got a username and this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone had some insight to a decision I have to make.

I recently discovered (and really like) Genz Benz amps. I had been looking for a while to find a used Compak 300. Well, I found a used 8 inch version and ordered it (about $500). It is quite pristine and everything is in excellent shape, except for the 1st channel on the amp is completely dead. This is not currently an issue for me, as the setup of my band right now only requires that I use 1 channel.

However, I found a 10 inch version (also $500), so I ordered that to compare. Well, this thing looks like it has been sitting in a dog kennel for the past 10 years not being used. It is filthy. The bottom half of the woofer is covered in a thick hardened dust that I'm not sure whether I'd be able to clean off or not. I found dog hair all over the thing. BUT both channels work and I'm not really noticing any degradation in tone due to the grime on the speaker.

They both have return policies, but today is the last day I can initiate a return on the 10 inch model. The seller of the 8 inch offered me $100 back due to the dead channel.

As far as tone goes: By itself, I do like the sound of the 10 inch. It is a little bit more rounded out, and obviously you get more volume for the same wattage. However the 8 inch is more "pointed", and I think cuts through a little better to hear myself at gigs.

But is the condition of the speaker creating a potential for dry rot? Am I worrying about nothing?

Or, maybe I'm being a fool and should just spring for a Genzler acoustic array? I just really like how light weighted the Genz Benz compaks are, and I haven't had a chance to play through a Genzler.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

presenceactual
Old 10-23-2019, 01:19 PM

You asked for thoughts. :-)

Send the 10 back. Or get the seller to knock $200 or more off. (But time is short.)
I saw a similar unit on Reverb for $629 that looked clean. So $500 is not a great price for a wreck.
Who knows what you’ll have to clean up with that amp? (Are you sure it’s not stolen from someone’s storage shed?)

Buy a different unit if you really want that model.

The 8” dead channel can probably be fixed. Clean and check (replace if needed) the input jack, all the pots, and the effects loop jacks. And anything else that looks dirty. Remove any fuzz or dirt from the inside of the amp.
All this with the power disconnected, of course!

My 2 cents worth. _Roger
Old 10-23-2019, 01:32 PM

I know you may be set on the GB Compak but there are other very good and very often discussed options out there that IMHO are far better combo amps. I had a GB Compak 300 so I have a good reference point.
I would send both back and look at alternatives or look for a better GB Compak 300 with the 10” in the cab.
Good luck!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:23 PM

Genzler is back in business with a new version of that amp if you can swing the extra cost.

https://www.supersonicmusic.com/stor...Amplifier.html
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-25-2019, 08:39 AM

There is still a factory service program available for all Genz Benz acoustic amps. They are easily repaired provided they haven't been messed with by a ham fisted attempt. Hack repairs are the biggest challenge in repairing amps.

PM me for information on the service program.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone. This is all helpful.

Interestingly enough, the tweeter on the 8" went out yesterday... weird! Actually I'm assuming it has something to do with the circuitry as opposed to the tweeter itself since the preamp already has issues. So now that one is definitely going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I know you may be set on the GB Compak but there are other very good and very often discussed options out there that IMHO are far better combo amps. I had a GB Compak 300 so I have a good reference point.
I would send both back and look at alternatives or look for a better GB Compak 300 with the 10” in the cab.
Good luck!
Yea, I think I will just send them both back. The seller of the 10" did offer me $100 back which drops it down to $400, but honestly I don't wan't to deal with the hassle of gear that hasn't been treated well and could have issues come up on a dime.

I'm looking into the acoustic image corus as well but those guys are pretty pricey.

I did see a is a series 4 (not plus) for a reasonable price though. But that version just has the single mid eq as opposed to dual on the 4plus.

Does anyone know what frequency the mid eq is set to on the series 4? And are there any other differences between the 4 and the 4plus?

Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification