The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2019, 07:19 AM

Default It feels sooooo good!

In the past 6 months I have sold 5 guitars: a 00, a D, a resonator, a 12 string and a semi hollow electric. (I’m deliberately leaving Brands out of the conversation.)

I’m “down” to a D, a jumbo, an OM, a 000, a 00, a classical and a solid body electric. A couple of these will never go because they are either awesome, sentimental or both. I don’t really have a number in mind.

I’m splitting time between my 4 favorite acoustics and it still seems like one too many.

I gotta’ tell you boys and girls, it feels soooo good that the closet is emptier.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Totally hear you. I’m at 6 right now and have 1 to sell. I’d like to be at 4, but just don’t see that happening as I’d be ‘cutting into muscle’ as they say. When you have a small collection of really nice stuff you can enjoy regularly where all get some lap time, that HAS to be better than having 15+ where 10 hardly ever get played.

Well done!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Default I'm working on it...

I've sold 3 guitars...( one Taylor and two vintage Martins ) the last 6 weeks....and I have 3 guitars at Carter Vintage right now....but I've got a long way to go...lol...but I totally understand what you're saying...
Old 10-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Totally get it.

I only have 2 guitars, and with the humidity dropping I’m so glad that I only have the two to take care of through the winter. My 2 are an OM and a 00. One With rosewood B&S and one mahogany. In other words, I’m set.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

I've been through having "waaaay too many" with bikes and cameras in past lives. And I've learned my lesson. Too much gear just adds stress rather than pleasure. Obviously we all have our own definition of "too much gear".

I've had as many as four electrics and three acoustics. Even that left me with instruments I didn't play organically, but just picked up periodically out of a sense of obligation because, you know, I'd bought it, I'd better play it. At this point I have two electrics and two acoustic and I love all of them, so I may stay here for a while. I spent many many years with one electric and one acoustic and I guess that could happen again, but I can't imagine what of my current small stable I'd be willing to part with, so they're all staying put as long as I feel that way. There's one other acoustic I'm interested in and would like to play at some point. If I like it enough to eventually buy one, my guess is that I'd feel like I'd have one too many and I'd eventually want to sell one of them. And as much as I love the two I have, I basically hope I don't like this other guitar. In which case I think I'd be set for a while... And I play 'em all...

-Ray
Old 10-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
Totally get it.

I only have 2 guitars, and with the humidity dropping I’m so glad that I only have the two to take care of through the winter. My 2 are an OM and a 00. One With rosewood B&S and one mahogany. In other words, I’m set.
This is where I'm at right now too. Mine check off the boxes for me but I fear I could still succumb to GAS. Martin 000 17SM just keeps coming into my mind.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 10-12-2019, 08:07 AM

At some point, owning too many instruments starts becoming something of a burden, especially if none of them become clear favorites.

Ignoring the Gretsch Americana (aka Jim Dandy), which is a sort of novelty guitar, I only own two acoustics (as you can see in my sig file).

The Martin is my "good" guitar and the less expensive Farida is the one I use when playing outdoor gigs, etc. They also have different tonal presentations, so they provide some variety too.

At some point, when funds become available, I'd like to add a Martin OM-28, and then I think I'll be good.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 10-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

It feels good not to have to rotate through a small army of guitars. I have sold the majority of my stable via eBay. Next up will be most of my tenor guitars and then will keep it at 2 6 stringers and a 4 string tenor guitar in addition to my dulcimer.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I just recently gave away my old Alvarez to a student, and sold my two Yairis. Also sold a nice Genz Benz amp.

That leaves me with just the guitars in my sig, and a Roland AC60 amp. Just in time, as MHC mentioned above, for wintertime and having to worry about humidification. And I've made more room in my little music room.

It feels good to lighten the load. And each of those remaining guitars is a stellar instrument, each in its own way. Three good acoustics seems like a good number for me.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Three is an ideal number.I missed having a 12 string so here is my little "set" of 4 :

Martin 00-18 main gigging guitar.

Martin 00-28 custom-for serious instrumental playing at home, song writing.

Martin Dreadnought JR-back uo gigging and travel guitar

Martin HD12-28-12 string also set up for gigging.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion