The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Thanks Ed66 and Treenewt for the feedback on EXP vs XT. I will definitely have to give them a try when the current EXTs on the Eastman are due for replacement.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:45 PM

I look forward to trying them.

My own conspiracy theory of which I have no evidence or hearsay but my own personal theory is that the new Lowden strings are the same as these, just branded and marketed differently and made by D’Addario. I would like to compare the two together to see if my weird brain and ears links them together.

Last edited by palsed; 09-24-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:57 PM

Strings and restringing method brother - duly noted.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I haven't yet but I plan to soon. I have had mostly rosewood guitars for years but recently got a spruce/mahogany slightly smaller slope shoulder dread. I am dialed in on strings for my rosewood guitars but having fun going through different varieties to see what I like best on this new guitar. I'll report in on what I find out over the next few weeks.

Best,
Jayne
thanks Jayne! just bought a set of 80 20s at GC today will slap em on my new D 18 sinker hog tomorrow morning...i enjoyed the Phosphor Bronze...
Old 09-26-2019, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

I too was a beta tester. I put my XT’s on my Yamaha FS-TA. They sound and feel great.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:38 AM

As I said in my previous post I ordered a few sets of these (both phosphor bronze and 80/20's). I received them a couple of weeks ago and put a set of the phosphor bronze on my Yamaha LL-TA, that was the only guitar I have that was close to needing a string change. The strings have been on that guitar for well over a week with lots of hours of play time so they're well broken in. The short version, I love these strings on this guitar. The Yamaha LL-TA is gaining in popularity and I remember reading some people not liking these strings on that particular guitar so I was a little worried but "to each their own". The strings feel good and have plenty of volume and clarity to them. The strings I took off this guitar were John Pearse Pure Nickel, which I liked also, but certainly prefer the XT over them. They tame the brightness of the guitar down just to where I like it. I can't speak for the longevity yet but that is also important to me. I have a few more guitars that I'm anxious to try these strings on but it'll have to wait until the current strings wear a bit (what can I say I'm cheap!).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion