The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Aside from the material, I don't like the shape the punch makes. Too blunt. But I would definitely be with you on experimenting with different materials if the picks it made were more pointy.

(The pointy picks, oh pointy pointy.)
I can definitely see where the shape would be a show-stopper. Is it really even worth it? I guess that's hard to say. Depends on how much a person values their time - you do have to smooth out the edges with the sanding block. Also, if you want some sort of non-slip grip you'd have to apply that as well. It is a cool novelty thing though even if you don't use it for your main pics.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

* Not a collector, but do have a few. I designed my own picks that are made for me in Australia that I hand out at my shows... they are heavy celluloid and sound wonderful. That said, my favs are BlueChip TAD50 which are 1.25 vespal with speed bevel. They work particularly well amplified at my shows, don't wear as easy as other materials (tho I do wear them down) and they glide fast and beautifully and have a fat, full sound with the medium Martin PB SP's I use.

** I do employ other picks at times to tweak the eq of my guitar on stage as strings wear, humidity and acoustics of room change as the show progresses. So here are my other favs: Hawk 1.2 Casein Tonebird 5 with speed bevel, EML 1.5 Casein with speed bevel, Primetone smooth 1.0 and Ultex 1.0... too bad the Ultex wear so quickly and don't have speed bevels because they sound really good. But I can wear one out in one song then they start catching the strings and I really prefer speed bevels as I helicopter across the strings!

*** Here's a couple of pics of my show picks... the reggae picks are very popular as well as the blues n greens. I play a lot of reggae so it's all part of the show. oh yeah I designed my own chucks too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100.jpg (42.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 101++600.JPG (334.5 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by noledog; 10-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
Also, if you want some sort of non-slip grip you'd have to apply that as well.
I notice that in the picture, they punched out a piece that had some of the embossed card numbers on it. I imagine that would help with grip.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Gravity or V-Picks. Yum.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Maybe you should get one of these?

[https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Pick-C.../dp/B07C2J458T

ATTACH]28061[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICK COLLECTION.jpg (18.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
Gravity or V-Picks. Yum.
The Gravity Gold Series are very, very good -- and underpriced.

scott memmer
Old 10-10-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I love trying different picks. There is nothing that can change the tone and attack on a guitar quicker than a pick change. I think every guitar (with whatever string set at the moment) has it's strengths and weaknesses and different picks can help optimize what the player is going for. Sometimes you end up playing with a group of people where you just have to select a different pick than planned if you're going to blend or cut through as needed.

So far I haven't gone high-end in the pick department yet, but there will come a day. I think the most I've paid for a pick so far is $10. Some day I'll want to try some of the more expensive picks that are touted on this forum.
! agree 100% with you. When I did my pick experimentation I came away with the same conclusion. Cool picks, are, well, cool. (Sorry about that!). But I've settled on Guitar Moose picks for their comfort and sound.

I did spend $15 on a stone pick, Brazilian Agate. Beautiful looks but sounds God awful!
Old 10-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Default Charmed Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I love trying different picks. There is nothing that can change the tone and attack on a guitar quicker than a pick change. I think every guitar (with whatever string set at the moment) has it's strengths and weaknesses and different picks can help optimize what the player is going for. Sometimes you end up playing with a group of people where you just have to select a different pick than planned if you're going to blend or cut through as needed.

So far I haven't gone high-end in the pick department yet, but there will come a day. I think the most I've paid for a pick so far is $10. Some day I'll want to try some of the more expensive picks that are touted on this forum.
I just received a Charmed Life nf-75ss (.75mm soft strum) pick to see if I could tell the difference between my various Dunlop picks and a "high end" casein pick. The casein material brings out a level of warmth and tonal richness I cannot get with the variety of Dunlops I have tried, plus it's a beautiful pick aesthetically. Pretty impressive.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:05 AM

Get me a mailing address and I will send you a Barbourville Vision Center pick!
Maybe you should print some of your own. Better still, everyone on the forum could print up some picks and we can have a “ pick-swap”.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

It turns out, even before I played guitar, as a youngster I was fascinated and intrigued by plastics.

Anyone ever see one of these babies? I had one as a kid, way back in the sixties. I couldn't have been more than 11 or 12.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMYMusic View Post
I just received a Charmed Life nf-75ss (.75mm soft strum) pick to see if I could tell the difference between my various Dunlop picks and a "high end" casein pick. The casein material brings out a level of warmth and tonal richness I cannot get with the variety of Dunlops I have tried, plus it's a beautiful pick aesthetically. Pretty impressive.
Yep, Ordered the same pick a few months ago from CL and luv it!! It produces it's own voice and wish I could get 10 more as it stays in my Pick Vault when not in use. Eyeing the nf 1.15 to add to my collection and feed into my addiction.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:59 PM

Guilty. I have a large plastic fishing lure box divided up with my many different types of picks.

guitars? yep still have some

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion