The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-13-2020, 05:14 PM

Default Can I Do This .... Line Out

Tomorrow the new amp arrives. Not going to spoil the NAD here. I'll post it up tomorrow. However......

I have a Fender Champion 20 that I play through now. The new amp will have a USB jack and a Line Out jack. The Champion 20 has only an input jack. Can I go Line Out to Input on the Champ and play through both amps.?? Would that be the end of the Champion 20.??hee. The new amp is 15 watts of power.

Last edited by 3notes; 02-13-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm sure they will plug up, but you may find yourself dealing with a couple of issues:

1. Ground issues. The ground schemes of the two units my clash causing hum. If so you'd need to put an isolation transformer in the line.
2. If the output of the amp is truly at line level it may overdrive the second amp. That could be solved by putting a volume control inline.

Try it! You won't blow anything up if you start with all the volumes down and inch up to see if the level is too hot for the slave amp. If you run into these issues it might be easier you to use an A/B/Y box and run your guitar into the inputs of both. If there is hum, you'd need an A/B/Y with an isolation transformer on one of the channels, like THIS one.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 PM

You'll need to find out if the Line Out mutes the amp. Also, as Bob mentions, you'll need to find out whether it's instrument or line level.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 PM

If it is a super champ xd or similar (like a tube amp or hybrid) there would be nothing to gain. A 15 watt tube amp is 3-4x as loud as a 20 watt ss one. You would suffer a loss of tone, not an increase in volume

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-14-2020, 07:35 AM

Is the line out's volume controlled by the amp's volume control? (some line outs are a set volume - bypassing the amp's output stage entirely). Others mute the amp's speaker/output stage.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 AM

There are a few other ways to run two amps if the line out/to input isn't filling the need.

1: FX pedal with stereo outs (delay or chorus, not a big fan of modulation, my preference would be a delay pedal)

2: A/B/Y switch (brands like Morley, Radial and other makers) Plug the guitar into the input of A/B/Y switch, then two standard guitar cables feed amp 1 and 2, allows you to choose one or the other, or both.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
A 15 watt tube amp is 3-4x as loud as a 20 watt ss one.
Since it takes approximately a ten-fold increase in wattage to achieve a perceived doubling of volume, this seems...unlikely.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:05 PM

I got the amp in today. The new 15 watt Super Champ x2 is NOT as loud as my Champion 20 solid state. I don't need loud.

The Ragin Cajun speaker seems to be very tight. Playing lead notes sounds good. Playing chords/rhythm I'm having a hard time with this amp. It's right chuck full of, well ..... MidTones. Too early to review it, so I'll stop there. For now.

How long does it take for a speaker to 'wear-in.??'
Old 02-14-2020, 05:50 PM

It took about 20 hours for the Greenback. The Ragin’Cajun at 10 hours is still tight right now.
I use these when playing with a six piece ensemble and never turn up more than 5 on volume and 4 on the gain knob.
If your amp isn’t louder than a 20 watt solid state, and still sounding good doing it, there is something wrong.
Attachment 33245

Last edited by Chickee; 07-08-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Since it takes approximately a ten-fold increase in wattage to achieve a perceived doubling of volume, this seems...unlikely.
Compare a 10-15 watt ss amp amp to a 5 watt tube amp and you will see for yourself........not unlikely at all.

Your statement is also comparing apples to apples. Tube to SS is apples to mangoes. I'm talking low end SS too like a champion 20, not a Quilter. I have owned dozens of tube amps from 5-80 watts and have a real life basis for comparison. What's yours?

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Last edited by roylor4; 02-14-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
It took about 20 hours for the Greenback. The Ragin’Cajun at 10 hours is still tight right now.
I use these when playing with a six piece ensemble and never turn up more than 5 on volume and 4 on the gain knob.
If your amp isn’t louder than a 20 watt solid state, and still sounding good doing it, there is something wrong.
This ^^^^^^^^^

I have played through both and the XD should be MASSIVELY louder. It isn't as loud as a Blues Jr, but it's close.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Attachment 33245
I honestly don't know which is louder. Both are loud. The solid state slaps you when it's turned up. It's dynamic. The Super Champ is warmer. I need more time with it to make these sort of judgements. I'll take back what I said because I honestly don't know.

I remember you finding that beautiful color on the Super Champ. You love 'em. I love this lacquered tweed. Beautiful to look at.

I posted a new amp day, this evening. Please take a look and see what I wrote. I'm searching for answers. My Yamaha Pacifica sounds horrible through the new amp and my Gretsch sounds fantastic. I don't know why.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I honestly don't know which is louder. Both are loud. The solid state slaps you when it's turned up. It's dynamic. The Super Champ is warmer. I need more time with it to make these sort of judgements. I'll take back what I said because I honestly don't know.

I remember you finding that beautiful color on the Super Champ. You love 'em. I love this lacquered tweed. Beautiful to look at.

I posted a new amp day, this evening. Please take a look and see what I wrote. I'm searching for answers. My Yamaha Pacifica sounds horrible through the new amp and my Gretsch sounds fantastic. I don't know why.
You need to experiment with the models and the eq. You cannot expect a setting that works with humbuckers to sound as good with single coils and vice-versa.

Their is a nearly endless amount of variables with an amp that has multiple amp models, gain and eq. You cannot and will not get a grip on them in a day or two. It will take months or weeks for you to find what works best for each guitar. Not to mention with each separate pickup.

SS amps tend to shoot sound straight out, whereas tube amps tend to envelope you in sound. I can't explain why, I just know it's so.

Take your time, find what you like with each guitar and jot it down.

Single coils will sound "bitey" "Midrangey" and "brittle" on settings where a HB guitar will sound round and full.

Guitars and amps are like kids. Some play better together than others.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars