The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 AM

Hello, new to the group but I would like to comment on the SG question. The first good guitar I owned is a 1977 SG, which I still have. I have never experienced any tuning problems and through the years it has seem a ton of abuse. Around 2000 I bought a new SG so that I would not have to gig with the '77. At that time the quality was excellent, no tuning issues. It may come as a surprise to some but the one of my all time favorite electrics is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom SG reissue with three pick ups. I think I got it around '98 or so. I was trying out some pedals and picked up that guitar to use. I ended up with the guitar instead of the effects. I would add that I have had roller bridges and fine tuning tail pieces professionally installed on all of my SG's as well as a good set up. Makes all the difference when you want your guitar to play well and stay in tune.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:50 PM

My string issues are with the G,B,and E strings, which get the obligatory bends.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
My string issues are with the G,B,and E strings, which get the obligatory bends.
Tuning problems are nearly always caused by the nut.
If you get a decent experienced guitar tech to smooth out the back of the nut it usually fixes the problem to the extent that you won't need to lubricate the nut.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-14-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Tuning problems are nearly always caused by the nut.
If you get a decent experienced guitar tech to smooth out the back of the nut it usually fixes the problem to the extent that you won't need to lubricate the nut.
That's been my experience on a couple of my Les Pauls.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars