The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 05:48 PM

Default I Have A Dirty Neck

…Well not me, my HD-28. You guys know how residue from sweat and whatever builds up on the neck over time and causes friction that canimpede the speed of changing hand positions? Any recommendations on what to use to remove that residue without marring the neck finish in the process? Thanks!

Last edited by Wadcutter; 10-18-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:57 PM

Naphtha.

…..
Old 10-18-2021, 06:24 PM

I always wipe down the neck after I play. Once in a while I'll spray a little pump polish on the rag first, wipe, then turn it over and shine it up....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-18-2021, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I always wipe down the neck after I play. Once in a while I'll spray a little pump polish on the rag first, wipe, then turn it over and shine it up....
I use this ^^^ winning combination too.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:28 PM

My guitars get a thorough polishing and fretboard cleaning/oiling at every string change.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 10-18-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
My guitars get a thorough polishing and fretboard cleaning/oiling at every string change.
What products do you use for that?
Old 10-18-2021, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

People freak when I tell them I clean my guitars with WINDEX.

Polish as needed oil fretboard and bridge, And with my new GPCPA1 Will need to oil the headstock face too I guess as it is ebony, at least once per quarter.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
People freak when I tell them I clean my guitars with WINDEX.

Polish as needed oil fretboard and bridge, And with my new GPCPA1 Will need to oil the headstock face too I guess as it is ebony, at least once per quarter.
No, do NOT oil the headstock face! It has a finish on it, unlike the bridge & fretboard.
Steve
Old 10-19-2021, 12:16 AM

Maybe loosen your grip on the neck.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:40 AM

Default Perhaps take more showers?

Someone had to say that, so it might as well be me.

I’d start with a damp cloth with a little detergent. If that doesn’t work then move on to Naptha - it works well on just about all finishes - including shellac - without the risk of damaging the surface.

Microfibre cloths can really help but they must be spotlessly clean, ideally fresh. The nature of the microfibres is to hold dirt and will pick up wood fibres and pretty much anything else which can scratch delicate surfaces.

Beyond that I’d suggest fine Scoth-Brite pads. The grey one is equivalent to 2000 grit, the white probably around 3000; start with white! Liberon 0000 wire wool also works, especially well with curves, but is messier.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

I confess that I can't identify with the OP's problem as I have very dry hands, and just don't seem to accumulate gunk.

Here's a vid about how I clean and polish my guitars, including the fretboard, but I don't put any thing apart from a dry cloth on the neck as such :

https://youtu.be/ucadcS4_FKc
Old 10-19-2021, 03:22 AM

I always wash my hands ten minutes prior to playing my guitar (towel drying not quite dry enough). After playing, wipe down the guitar everywhere my skin comes in contact with a microfiber chamois cloth. Occasionally do the same but with a little guitar polish applied to the cloth (especially when I can see the dreaded forearm smudge starting to show up).

Old 10-19-2021, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

I think that once a year my guitars may get the attention of a wipe over with a bar towel slightly dampened by the spillage of a pint of ale. And they usually get rained on once in a while too (the joys of living in Wales!) so that gives them a clean.

The marks caused by playing hands and forearms are worn as a badge of honour. I really don't like shiny new guitars at all and can't wait for them to look like they are truly loved. I can see mine leaning up against a filing cabinet from where I sit, with its worn sound hole edge, dings and hand/arm polished top, wearing its capo at a jaunty angle with a ragged pick tucked under its strings. And I've only had it a year!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:29 AM

The problem with instrument neck is the buildup of material - oil, dirt, etc. Adding more material (polish, wax, fretboard oil) just adds to the problem.

A couple people have mentioned naptha (lighter fluid). That's a good choice as it safely removes gunk without adding anything.

I typically use nothing but clean lint-free cloth and warm water to clean my instruments. I do occasionally use Music Nomad F1 fretboard oil on the fretboard only.

I like virtuoso cleaner and polish on the soundboard, back, sides and headstock but never on the neck.

I also treat all my instrument necks with Scotch Brite or 0000 steel wool to keep them fast and smooth. I actually want the neck dull/matte/satin and not glossy to prevent sticking. If you like a glossy neck keep your hands clean and treat your necks to warm water or naptha only.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:39 AM

I recently bought an old guitar in pretty poor shape, including having a severely dried out rosewood fretboard with several cracks. I clean the 'board and then wiped it down with a little lemon oil. Without thinking, I kind of swiped the oil around on the back neck too. Oops!

Boy what an unpleasant feeling that was. Fortunately it came off easily with a little soap and warm water on a washcloth. I can't imagine why anyone would put oil (or wax or whatever) on the back of a guitar neck. Sticky, icky, just awful.

I'll remember the naphtha (lighter fluid) suggestion next time a neck gets a little residue on it.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion