The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2021, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

This is ridiculous. A set up with a new saddle should take less than an hour. I'm not a pro and it takes me around a half hour. Go get your guitar and take it to someone else. Or, learn to do it yourself.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

How well is the tech known. Having to wait is not a major issue, though a month is a bit long. Not getting a phone call or email to communicate the delay would put me over the edge, especially if it’s a small job like a set up.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-16-2021, 05:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A buddy and I once ducked out of a recording session for lunch and nipped down the road to try out a new BBQ joint. The place was a tiny hole-in-the-wall, which is where the good stuff typically comes from. It was laid out like a diner with the owner/cook assembling the BBQ sandwiches behind the lunch counter in front of us. We made our order at the register and paid and then stood forever watching the owner work, rather slowly, and waiting for our sandwiches. Eventually, as the clock wound down on our lunch break and we fidgeted, I leaned across the counter and asked gently, "We've got the order for two sandwiches. When will they be ready?" The owner turned around for a second and glared with bulging eyes, trembling with rage, and spat out,

"GOOD. THINGS. TAKE. TIME."

We eventually got our order and ate it in the car as we rushed back to the studio. The BBQ wasn't particularly good. The shop barely lasted a season. From them on, whenever we were dealing with anyone who was slow and threatened completion of a project we'd look at each other, tremble, bulge our eyes, and repeat,

"GOOD. THINGS. TAKE. TIME."

It helps to laugh.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-16-2021, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

"Give him the benefit of the doubt"
"Patience is a virtue"
"The waiting is the hardest part"
"Reach out and touch someone"
.... (errrr .... on second thought - unless you remember the phone company's jingle - forget the last one)... but you have called him..

My point:
The list of what you have already done (in good faith) goes on and on... You are not being treated with basic common courtesy... period.

And you have NO idea yet if you will actually be happy with the work... And if you are not; what then?

Show up, ask for your guitar back, find someone else....
Old 10-16-2021, 05:47 AM

There is no question that not delivering at anywhere near the promised date is bad business, and not answering emails drives me a little crazy.

But then there's the question of how much time you'd like a guy this busy to be spending on the computer? How many emails a day does he get?

My guy is a very talented luthier and his shop is always full of waiting repairs. Yet every visit he takes the time to have me play and comment on the needed adjustments and a little polite small talk. He calls when the work is done and I pay him more than he asks - in cash. And I feel blessed to be able to have him working on my instruments. I'm sure he doesn't always know what he's going to find while working on each guitar, and I don't ask for a completion date (I never have only one guitar - I had Martin warranty work that took 5 months).

Would I have the same attitude for the kid in the local Guitar Center? Probably not. I like good business practices, but I make exceptions for artists.

It sounds like your guy isn't going to change, so you either live with it or find a new guy. Giving yourself agida should not be an acceptable choice.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-16-2021, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
There is no question that not delivering at anywhere near the promised date is bad business, and not answering emails drives me a little crazy.

But then there's the question of how much time you'd like a guy this busy to be spending on the computer? How many emails a day does he get?

My guy is a very talented luthier and his shop is always full of waiting repairs. Yet every visit he takes the time to have me play and comment on the needed adjustments and a little polite small talk. He calls when the work is done and I pay him more than he asks - in cash. And I feel blessed to be able to have him working on my instruments. I'm sure he doesn't always know what he's going to find while working on each guitar, and I don't ask for a completion date (I never have only one guitar - I had Martin warranty work that took 5 months).

Would I have the same attitude for the kid in the local Guitar Center? Probably not. I like good business practices, but I make exceptions for artists.

It sounds like your guy isn't going to change, so you either live with it or find a new guy. Giving yourself agida should not be an acceptable choice.
This isn't art, it's a setup. Adjust the neck relief, check nut slots, make a new saddle, give the guitar back. One hour, max, with a coffee break! Maybe the guy lost the guitar and is stalling.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I had an ex partner that would constantly make promises TO CUSTOMERS we both knew were not achievable. Drove me crazy. I expect a business to simply do what they say they will do.

I'm dealing with a custom build that in August was a "September/October build" and is now "hope to start by the end of the year." I couldn't do business like that and have very little patience for those that do.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-16-2021, 11:10 AM

Certainly:
1) Get a second guitar.
2) Learn to do your own setups. Reputable folks like Bob Colosi can even make and mail you a compensated bone saddle to the guitar specs if you need that.
3) The shop’s communication is not beneficial.

It is possible, however, that OP took in an overly humidified Georgia summer guitar that the shop is allowing to get back to where it needs to be before doing the setup. Obviously no one knows what the actual facts are.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Certainly:
1) Get a second guitar.
2) Learn to do your own setups. Reputable folks like Bob Colosi can even make and mail you a compensated bone saddle to the guitar specs if you need that.
3) The shop’s communication is not beneficial.

It is possible, however, that OP took in an overly humidified Georgia summer guitar that the shop is allowing to get back to where it needs to be before doing the setup. Obviously no one knows what the actual facts are.
In reverse order:

Number 3’s a fair question to ask, but the guitar as evaluated and agreed by the luthier was in excellent overall shape. The saddle was aftermarket (bought used earlier this year) and didn’t sit firmly in the slot. Frets and nut slots were in good shape. A fresh saddle and counteracting some forward bow were all that was indicated after a 15 minute initial inspection.

I’ve traditionally done most of my own work, but I’ve never been fully satisfied with the outcome. I was/am hoping for that last 10% by engaging a professional.

And as soon as the family budget permits, which is a nebulous, noncommittal way of saying it’s more of a dream than a plan.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:43 PM

To me now it’s become a trust issue. If you can’t trust him to give you a definitive date after this long or trust him to even respond, I’m not sure how you can trust he will do the job adequately.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:54 PM

Many, many years ago it was a situation just like this that inspired me to study and become a competent guitar tech and luthier.

I now have a very well equipped workshop and my guitars are all tweaked to just the way that I like them.

But at the time, I was pretty frustrated and when I finally got the guitar back, I looked at the workmanship and thought, "I could do a MUCH better job than that!" So from then on, I started doing everything myself.

I hope that you get your guitar back soon and that everything is right as rain. And yes, you should probably get at least one spare. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
...He isn't cheap and he doesn't cut corners, but he does it right and does it on time.

Bob
Reminds me of the old joke about construction jobs: Cheap, on time, done right - pick 2 of the 3. When you find a guitar tech (or any serviceperson) who does all 3 and communicates well, then that's a real win!

Unfortunately, I haven't found a guitar tech with all 3 either. That's why I've purchased some simple tools and learned to do a lot of that work myself. That and an extra guitar, or 2.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:31 PM

Service Etiquette Q

Telling the truth is easier than lying, if only because you don't have to remember what lies you told to a specific person. It will also help getting repeat customers, as will not making promises you know you can't keep.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 10-18-2021, 04:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Just sayin'....

We are fortunate to have a superb guitar tech in our area who I've been using for almost 30 years. He truly is a magician! Also a certified repair person for warranty work for Martin, Taylor, Gibson and Fender. But.....he is usually overwhelmed with work and his health is not good. I dropped off a guitar for him about a week ago and he related a recent story: About a month before in the course of a couple days he took in seven instruments and all of the owners pleaded/begged to have their guitars ready by the following Saturday. He agreed and pushed back a couple of other repairs, but managed to have them all in his front room, ready for pick-up that Saturday.

By the following Tuesday, all seven were still sitting there.

My point is - yes, communication is vital, but it's a two-way street and in many (most?) cases there may be factors in play that you may not know about. I totally agree that your guy has not been forthcoming with information; my guess is that you would have been more than satisfied with current information/status of your guitar. Bad on him.

Gene
Old 10-18-2021, 04:42 AM

There may be a good reason for the delay: i know my luthier has been waiting several months to get saddles that he ordered from Martin, and until he gets them, any work requiring a new saddle cant be done (but he let me know this, and had me take the guitar home with me).

It is much harder to imagine a good reason for no response to your most recent attempt to find out why your guitar still isn’t ready when it was promised weeks ago. If it was just a few days late, it might be something to overlook, even though it is upsetting. But after waiting weeks, you deserve communication.

I’d go retrieve the guitar, and find another luthier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion