The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-02-2021, 09:15 PM

I’m with the Captain on this one. Generally, some of the new oriental lower priced modern ones are not not designed for us old fxxts. They are really designed for the young Chinese Markets - they have the cash. Most of these are gimmicky and are injection molded using carbon pellets. In time, as the market catches fire they will self destruct their own price levels and you may see the cheap guitar you want. - but it won’t be a clone of a D18. That’s our dream - not theirs. I talked to many music stores and they have a hard time getting young people to pay more than a couple hundred for an acoustic guitar. I was surprised when they told me but I think they are right. Especially now when learning to play in a band offers less opportunities for gigs due to Covid. I think we can watch this oriental Amazon wave of carbon fiber guitars to see what manufacturing methods we can copy for our own small manufacturing base. Possibly the methods could inspire someone to create a traditional design for a niche market. Personally I think the processes Rainsong, Emerald and Mc Pierson uses are well worth the money. All I really have to worry about is when am I going to change my strings and a cloth to wipe off the guitar cause it is always on the wall or in the stand.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of carbon fiber. The little Lava has been on my radar since it first showed up as a possible small guitar to keep at work to play when I'm bored. I agree that it does seem more like a toy than a quality acoustic guitar and as such the price seems high. But then again in Mary's first video (which I watched when it first came out) she does state how surprised she was by the quality when she opened it up. The part about it being very 'Apple product-like' caught my attention.

Anyway, I never did bother with it, again, mostly because of the price. But if I could find a used one in good shape for under $500 I might snag one up because I think the small size and built in effects would make it perfect for me for noodling at work late at night when I'm all alone with nothing much to do. The case seems cool, very sturdy and it could easily be left in a locker to be pulled out after hours for some practice or just to have some fun playing.

As for the discussion about the overall price of carbon fiber, well let's face it - the price of ALL guitars has gone through the roof. I jumped on the Emerald bandwagon early and got my woody customs for about what their standard non-woody guitars go for these days. Same with the RainSongs. There's been a big price jump. And as someone who rarely buy's new to avoid the steep retail prices, I also just bought a brand new RainSong Nashville OM Shorty custom with a retail price of nearly $4k (street price just over $3k) and I couldn't be happier with that guitar. It's that good.

So, I just over to Reverb to see what's what and I'm (not really) surprised to see there's been an evolution in the guitar's model offerings. The original, the Lava 2, not the Lava Pro where they when over to bridge pins with a high-end look of CF weave and two-tone finish black and gold or black and grey. Love the look of that, (but not so much the $1,200 price tag!) but preferred the pinless bridge. Now I see a Lava 3 with a built-in mobile phone like interface which seems like too much for this. I do like the look of that Lava Me Pro, though...

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-12-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm a big fan of carbon fiber. The little Lava has been on my radar since it first showed up as a possible small guitar to keep at work to play when I'm bored. I agree that it does seem more like a toy than a quality acoustic guitar and as such the price seems high. But then again in Mary's first video (which I watched when it first came out) she does state how surprised she was by the quality when she opened it up. The part about it being very 'Apple product-like' caught my attention.

Anyway, I never did bother with it, again, mostly because of the price. But if I could find a used one in good shape for under $500 I might snag one up because I think the small size and built in effects would make it perfect for me for noodling at work late at night when I'm all alone with nothing much to do. The case seems cool, very sturdy and it could easily be left in a locker to be pulled out after hours for some practice or just to have some fun playing.

As for the discussion about the overall price of carbon fiber, well let's face it - the price of ALL guitars has gone through the roof. I jumped on the Emerald bandwagon early and got my woody customs for about what their standard non-woody guitars go for these days. Same with the RainSongs. There's been a big price jump. And as someone who rarely buy's new to avoid the steep retail prices, I also just bought a brand new RainSong Nashville OM Shorty custom with a retail price of nearly $4k (street price just over $3k) and I couldn't be happier with that guitar. It's that good.

So, I just over to Reverb to see what's what and I'm (not really) surprised to see there's been an evolution in the guitar's model offerings. The original, the Lava 2, not the Lava Pro where they when over to bridge pins with a high-end look of CF weave and two-tone finish black and gold or black and grey. Love the look of that, (but not so much the $1,200 price tag!) but preferred the pinless bridge. Now I see a Lava 3 with a built-in mobile phone like interface which seems like too much for this. I do like the look of that Lava Me Pro, though...
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm still really enjoying the Journey but I find myself looking at a full size CF to accompany it. The original Lava Me just didn't speak to me but the Pro version is a bit more interesting. It is very cool that L.R. Baggs collaborated with Lava Me for the pickup system on this! The onboard electronics on this version are very cool making the price tag a bit more justified.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm still really enjoying the Journey but I find myself looking at a full size CF to accompany it. The original Lava Me just didn't speak to me but the Pro version is a bit more interesting. It is very cool that L.R. Baggs collaborated with Lava Me for the pickup system on this! The onboard electronics on this version are very cool making the price tag a bit more justified.
I'm just the opposite, now. After going in and watching some YouTube demo videos I could see just how much bigger the Pro version is compared with the 2. I'm looking for small, so back to the 2 for me which is good as they are at least a little less expensive!
Old 09-13-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I'm just the opposite, now. After going in and watching some YouTube demo videos I could see just how much bigger the Pro version is compared with the 2. I'm looking for small, so back to the 2 for me which is good as they are at least a little less expensive!
I'm shying away too. Too big, negative reviews all over the place regarding the electronics failing. This is even frustrating for L.R. Baggs as they are getting contacted but don't feel responsible for the final product since they were merely consultants. There also appears to be a lack of state-side customer support. No thanks.

I also watched a demo that compared a Black Ice RainSong OM to the Lava Me Pro, and not only does the RainSong sound better but it looks better too.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
if I could find a used one in good shape for under $500 I might snag one up
On Amazon prime days and black friday's days you'll find a new guitar (not used) Lava Me 2 for little more than 600 usd

Quote:
Now I see a Lava 3 with a built-in mobile phone like interface which seems like too much for this. I do like the look of that Lava Me Pro, though...
where have you seen this Lava Me 3?
Old 09-14-2021, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domen View Post
where have you seen this Lava Me 3?
Lava Me 3th Gen. Carbon Fiber 38' travel size Acoustic Guitar Soft Gold with Space Bag
Old 09-14-2021, 09:58 AM

Thank you!
it's not even on the manufacturer's website, where we can find only lava me 2 and lava me pro, a prototype?

Last edited by domen; 09-14-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you!
it's not even on the manufacturer's website, where we can find only lava me 2 and lava me pro, a prototype?
That's what I'm thinking.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:48 PM

I bought a Lava Me 2 a few months ago. The one with the pick up, but not the effects.

I bought it for travelling around with, not needing to worry about it.

I am very impressed. It sounds very good. No, it doesn't look traditional, and that's almost why I bought it. It is a very un-me guitar (I've been known to play a Strat with the strap attached to the headstock, like Mary Kaye. N

But with this guitar, there's no half measures. If the pink one was in stock, I would have bought it. Anyway, I have the black one. I prefer my Waterloo, but if the Lave Me was my only guitar, I'd be happy. Believe me, it's not my guitars that are holding me back!

Regarding the Pro version, I found it very un-ergonomic; if kept slipping off my lap.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you!
I guess the translator is still working on it?

https://www.lavamusic.com/lava_me3
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 09-14-2021, 05:17 PM

ok, so the this web page is only available for the Chinese market. thanks
Old 09-14-2021, 08:19 PM
Guest 928

Mountain;

Thanks for the site; what an interesting looking guitar--with a touchscreen no less.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:45 AM

WOW

A touchscreen!

So much for the durability of carbon fiber...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber