The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 AM

Just got a K. Yairi parlor (NY0021B) after playing different Alvarez parlors. I went for the higher end hand built model mainly (90%) out of purely personal reasons. Sound wise the AP70 and APA1965 that I tried really amazed me. And for those prices... Beautiful craftmanship also. If I were starting a guitar collection I might have got them. But really I just wanted one guitar, and thus chose to go high end immediately. The K.Yairi is a keeper for me. But that's for a soon to be posted NGD post. (By the way, as I'm in Europe, we don't seem to get the Alvarez Yairi models, we have the choice between either Chinese built Alvarez models or Japanese K.Yairi models).
Old 02-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimski View Post
Just got a K. Yairi parlor (NY0021B) after playing different Alvarez parlors. I went for the higher end hand built model mainly (90%) out of purely personal reasons. Sound wise the AP70 and APA1965 that I tried really amazed me. And for those prices... Beautiful craftmanship also. If I were starting a guitar collection I might have got them. But really I just wanted one guitar, and thus chose to go high end immediately. The K.Yairi is a keeper for me. But that's for a soon to be posted NGD post. (By the way, as I'm in Europe, we don't seem to get the Alvarez Yairi models, we have the choice between either Chinese built Alvarez models or Japanese K.Yairi models).
I think the Japanese K. Yairi models are the same as Alvarez Yairi -- made in the same factory in Japan, etc.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:06 PM

I have an Alvarez baritone abt60 which is in their artist series. Solid top and bone nut and saddle. It needed a good setup, otherwise no issues. It’s very good, better than expected for the money. It’s a huge jumbo body and has a great low end growl. Long scale and heavy baritone strings. I don’t have any experience with other Alvarez models.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:32 PM

Same positive experience already often cited here by others. I have had 6 different Alvarez models and finally settled on two gems from their "Masterworks" series -- a 6 and a 12-string dread...

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 02-18-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:00 PM

My first guitar was an Alvarez Regent. Really decent sound, and great value for the price.

Quality wise I'd put them along the lines of Yamaha.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:02 PM

We own Alvarez Delta Delite, Blues 51, and the slothead Anniversary Mahogany parlor. Fantastic sound, and easy to play, especially for this small-ish female with small hands. VERY comfortable.
The Jazz and Blues series has so much sound for the size, but still pretty articulate.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:52 PM

Default Alvarez ADWS77CESHB

I know this is an old discussion but...Just traded in a Taylor 114e on this black walnut top Alvarez dread. Man am I happy. I'm a singer/songwriter and the mellow tone of this guitar is perfect.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:30 PM

Sorry just realised this is an old thread.

Last edited by NotveryGood; 10-05-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:41 PM

I like Alvarez, but just know that they have epoxy glued neck joints and bridges (except for the Yairi and even the old Yairi lines often were epoxied). So, if you ever need work done, the neck probably won't ever come out. Epoxy makes a bridge re-glue messy, but it is possible.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:51 PM

I have an Alvarez 12 string that was a gift from the widow of the former owner. Stays in tune exceptionally well, great action and it sounds good.

I don't currently play a lot of 12 string, but when I do it doesn't disappoint.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-05-2020, 03:08 PM

I had one of the Alvarez Jazz and Blues guitars.

Relative to its price it was a poor value compared to the (Made in Mexico) Taylor Academy 12e that replaced it.

The Alvarez cost about $100 less than the Taylor, but it had numerous flaws.. by the time I spent money on Setup + fixing a fret problem + fixing problems with the electronics it cost more than the Taylor and still didn't play as well.

I will say the Alvarez I had was smaller body.. which is what I originally was looking for. I got used to the Taylor fine though.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:55 PM

I have an old (late 70’s) Alvarez dread with a laminate top and back and sides that sounds and plays so good. Not just good for an old, inexpensive guitar, but legit good.

It has the best action and playability of all my current and past guitars. When I want a big friendly golden retriever style experience, I pick up my Alvarez. It never makes fingers angrier.

Despite its lack of credentials and swagger, my old Alvarez will be with me for the duration.

It’s also great having a guitar that one more ding won’t really ruin. Count me as an Alvarez fan.

Last edited by Batmitestar; 10-05-2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-06-2020, 07:07 AM

I own four, a 1980 dred. made in Japan, twelve string, masterwork maple with Engelmann top and a AP-70. They all have very good tone and playability.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:10 AM

I own an Alvarez Baritone. My next purchase is an Alvarez I have my eye on. I simply love this brand and think highly of them.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:14 AM

I've had two Alvarez guitars and have been completely delighted with them. Unfortunately, the Alvarez 6-string somehow went awol many years ago. Fortunately, the '86 Alvarez Yairi 12-string remains, and is presently my one and only guitar. It's exquisite.

Recently, I put it in the hands of a friend who's a far more accomplished guitarist than I, and when he played it his jaw dropped. He opined that it has better action & tone than guitars costing thousands of dollars (even with strings a couple of months old).

Alvarez is up there at the top of my wish list.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion