The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-14-2021, 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=KevWind;6716483]Terry, I opened your link, clicked on and expanded it , then posted it to my Imgur and then opened it here hope thats OK ?
-- Absolutely. Thanks.
So I did not realise Reaper now offers full track coloration very nice !! I guess it has come a ways since I tried in version 4.
-- Reaper is pretty amazing. Best $60 I ever spent on software.
Curious though did you mean to leave the click playing in your audio sample ?
-- All I can say is oops No I didn't.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

As I mentioned previously here are some more pictures
So this is a song that is a work in progress (WIP)
It is a cover of "He Went to Paris" by Jimmy Buffet
So far I only have the acoustic rhythm tracks recorded

Mixer window where you see all the routing with anEQ for each track R&L and then a compressor on the Folder track

Edit window with plugin GUI's open

Then this is photo showing the 2 displays with edit on left and mixer right

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-18-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:40 PM

A couple different projects. The first is a "full band" version of a song (virtual drums, bass, acoustic & elec guitar, harmonica & vox.

There's a midi drum track with each instrument routed through a separate channel, parallel compression, and running through a folder track as a
drum master". Drums & electric guitar have "built-in" reverb, rather than effect the whole mix I did reverb as inserts on vox and harmonica. Then the whole shebang gets a little compression on the 2-bus.

Here's the track view, with song sections marked.

Here it is on Soundcloud:

The next one is a much smaller project, acoustic (stereo) with some fills laid over the top, and vocals. I used an overall reverb on a send for the vox and mail guitars, but wanted a slightly different reverb on the fills so have it inserted.

This one has a video to go along with it:

Old 05-15-2021, 06:02 AM

Kevwind and Chipotle,
I listened to some of your music. Nice job(s).
Terry
Old 05-15-2021, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post
Kevwind and Chipotle,
I listened to some of your music. Nice job(s).
Terry
Thanks It's been an interesting journey and still miles to go

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-15-2021, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
A couple different projects. The first is a "full band" version of a song (virtual drums, bass, acoustic & elec guitar, harmonica & vox.

There's a midi drum track with each instrument routed through a separate channel, parallel compression, and running through a folder track as a
drum master". Drums & electric guitar have "built-in" reverb, rather than effect the whole mix I did reverb as inserts on vox and harmonica. Then the whole shebang gets a little compression on the 2-bus.

Here's the track view, with song sections marked.

Here it is on Soundcloud:

The next one is a much smaller project, acoustic (stereo) with some fills laid over the top, and vocals. I used an overall reverb on a send for the vox and mail guitars, but wanted a slightly different reverb on the fills so have it inserted.
Interesting,,,, One question :: On the full band it looks like the track colors are mirrored between the mixer and edit views (Which is the way I have my PT sessions set up )
But in the smaller project in the edit view you have different color sections in each track itself . Is that from cut and paste from different takes, or some kind of song section delineation ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-15-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting,,,, One question :: On the full band it looks like the track colors are mirrored between the mixer and edit views (Which is the way I have my PT sessions set up )
But in the smaller project in the edit view you have different color sections in each track itself . Is that from cut and paste from different takes, or some kind of song section delineation ??
I still haven't settled on how I want the colors to be exactly. In the smaller project I was trying a "random colors per item" setting, which lets you see your split points more easily. It was still hard to see which take in a track was active, though, so I've since turned on the "set active take to custom color". In the screenshot below, the Guitar L and R tracks have single-color per item and random color, respectively, with the yellow take being active. For comparison, the vox track has the default take gradations.

One of the great things about Reaper is how customizable at is. One of the annoying, rabbit-hole time sinks in Reaper is how customizable it is.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Hmm. I can see it on several of my devices. Are you singed in to AGF?
Yes, logged in to AGF. As others said, it does not appear.

I can open the image in another tab and see it.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Screen shot of a video I did a few days ago for a social media post
Eric, here you go. Maybe some character(s) in your url link did not agree with the forum. Uploaded your picture to my website and renamed it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 05-15-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Eric, here you go. Maybe some character(s) in your url link did not agree with the forum. Uploaded your picture to my website and renamed it.
[/IMG]
Hey Rick thanks for doing that

So Eric. It looks like you are using the Seventh Heaven ,,, is it the regular or "pro" version ?
And now seeing your mixer views and thinking on Doug's as well. Can I assume that the pink Stereo Out is a default 2 Bus/Mix Bus track selection feature in Logic ?
Does it auto route the tracks (or group select like select some tracks and click )or do you have to select in each individual tracks output ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-16-2021, 08:02 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Hey Rick thanks for doing that
..you are using the Seventh Heaven, is it the regular or "pro" version
Yes, thanks to Rick
I am using the standard Seventh Heaven. I like it a lot. Though I still also like and use the Fabfilter reverb a lot too.

Quote:
Can I assume that the pink Stereo Out is a default 2 Bus/Mix Bus track selection feature in Logic ?
Yes

Quote:
Does it auto route the tracks (or group select like select some tracks..?
Yes.

As I mentioned earlier, this was for a video Facebook post for Mother’s Day, though I did put it on Youtube later too https://youtu.be/D_S6VEaSi58

I used mid/side and maybe a little more compression because I always wonder how many people might listen on a seven-year-old iPad or something, so maybe a strong mono image might be better(?)

In the coming weeks I’m going to start mixing a guitar duo album on Logic at home that I tracked last week in a nice studio with Jamie Stillway. I’ll try to post a few screen shots of that project.

Last edited by min7b5; 05-16-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And now seeing your mixer views and thinking on Doug's as well. Can I assume that the pink Stereo Out is a default 2 Bus/Mix Bus track selection feature in Logic ?
Does it auto route the tracks (or group select like select some tracks and click )or do you have to select in each individual tracks output ?
Yes that's Logic's stereo output bus. All channels and busses default to going to that Stereo Out (It's labeled in mine as "Dougs Master Bus", but it has a default name of Stereo Out). If you look at my first screen shot, you see a row that's labeled "Output". The dropdown on each track defaults to the stereo out, but can be set to anything, different hardware outs, a bus, or even None.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yes that's Logic's stereo output bus. All channels and busses default to going to that Stereo Out (It's labeled in mine as "Dougs Master Bus", but it has a default name of Stereo Out). If you look at my first screen shot, you see a row that's labeled "Output". The dropdown on each track defaults to the stereo out, but can be set to anything, different hardware outs, a bus, or even None.
Ah OK I think I get now. I (think) it is similar but somewhat different than Pro Tools, in that in PT there is a default audio 1-2 main output Bus path . And in PT all the tracks that you create are Auto routed to that, unless the user changes it. But it is not an actual channel in the mixer or edit view .....
Then in Pro Tools there is also something called a Master Fader track, which you can add to your session , or not,,,, because it is not required to actually have audio come out the main physical outputs of your interface ) That Master Fader track is also auto routed to that physical 1-2 out But it gives you a meter of the entire session and also inserts (post fader) So it, is more or less like your Stereo Out .....

I do see the "Master" in the screen shots of Logic but it appears to be a Fader only,,,, correct ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-18-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A
I do see the "Master" in the screen shots of Logic but it appears to be a Fader only,,,, correct ?
Right, fader only. Honestly, I've never used it, I just leave it at unity, so I have no idea what the point of it is. Seems a bit superfluous.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Right, fader only. Honestly, I've never used it, I just leave it at unity, so I have no idea what the point of it is. Seems a bit superfluous.
So this got me curious and I stumbled on this video about the Master Fader in Logic

It is kinda long but is actually very good in explaining some things about Logic

It is not until 19:00 that he gets into the master but by 27:00 he shows you how to get rid of if you don' use it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD