The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-09-2021, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Silvertone H623

I believe it's a '59. It's in great shape, no separations anywhere, low action, plays great. I just couldn't pass it up for the price. It has that old school lo-fi sound and I'm digging it.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone know if the tuners are supposed to have bushings? Currently, it doesn't have any.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Does anyone know if the tuners are supposed to have bushings? Currently, it doesn't have any.
IMO it looks like a variation on the Harmony parent-line Master or Monterey, in which case it most likely wouldn't have had bushings - FWIW my own Broadway didn't have them either, although this seems to be a matter of year-to-year specs as I've seen some examples that did; if it's a matter of concern they're easy enough to get/install, as are appropriate new-production replacement tuners that work infinitely better than the originals...
Old 06-11-2021, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
IMO it looks like a variation on the Harmony parent-line Master or Monterey, in which case it most likely wouldn't have had bushings - FWIW my own Broadway didn't have them either, although this seems to be a matter of year-to-year specs as I've seen some examples that did; if it's a matter of concern they're easy enough to get/install, as are appropriate new-production replacement tuners that work infinitely better than the originals...
Thanks. Do you have any recommendations for tuner replacements? The originals work "ok" but could definitely be better/smoother. Drop in would be nice but I'm not afraid to drill a hole or two.

Last edited by davenumber2; 06-11-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:19 PM

These look like they might be an exact-fit replacement:

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...allop-end.html

Definitely an upgrade by any standard - better-made than the originals, higher gear ratio for finer tuning, period-accurate bushings so they'll turn more smoothly - and virtually indistinguishable from the vintage stuff...
Old 06-12-2021, 08:33 AM

These are also very close in design, they have the bell end and the square posts that the shafts run in. Originals are probably Kluson, they might have a repro as nice as the Golden Age (which are very good). You have to check the post spacing, screw hole spacing, and the distance from the string hole to the base on the posts. Very small differences in those spec's.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...-bell-end.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops