The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Default What's the Ryan Guitar House Sound?

Though luthiers can tailor an instrument's sound to some degree according to a client's wishes, I believe that each luthier tends to have his or her own 'house sound'.

For you familiar with Kevin Ryan's instruments, how would you describe his 'house sound'? Also, if you don't mind, what other makes do you own as a basis for comparison?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

I think you are right about good luthiers having a characteristic sound.

For the Ryans I have played (not many) or listened to I would say the Ryan sound is crystalline clarity with a touch of warmth. As an example of how they sound I recommend you listen to the Altiplanos album by Pierre Bensusan. He plays a Ryan on some tracks and a Lowden on others and, to me at least, the differences are pretty significant.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:08 AM

I have played a 10 year old plus ryan cathedral and 3 newer nightingales. The nightingales were completely different from the cathedral. The cathedral had the usual overtone heavy but clear tone except it had the most subterranean surround bass imaginable. The nightingales on the other hand had a completely unique tonal signature that I had never heard and havent heard since from any other guitar. Super warm and super thick. There was literally no difference between overtones and fundamental - they melded together in one super thick note. Very dark toned. Unparalleled for dark moody tunes. Really good strummer. But not the guitar to go for if you want separation and clarity and crystalline purity.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:30 PM

I have Ryan Mission Grand Concert that is approaching 20 years old and is Adirondack and BRW. I would say warm and darker than my other guitars. I think that may be more attributable to the age and woods though.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:55 PM

My brother had a Ryan Mission in coco/Engelmann. Very clear, deep and dark, lots of overtones and big bass. As Robert Frost might have put it, “The woods were lovely, dark and deep ...”

Last edited by Richard Mott; 09-22-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Smile I have had two...

I have had two NICE Ryans.

Both were Big. One had European Spruce over Madi RW. One in Cedar/Koa

Both sounded spectacular. I did not have them at the same time to compare but the Cedar/Koa had a more rounded, Mahogany-like tone as you would expect.

Both had Lots of overtones, and a lot of bass, but still VERY balanced to my ears. I loved the super slim neck carves, too.

I prefer a shorter scale and a 12 fret configuration so they both went to good homes, but they sounded REALLY GOOD, and when I visited Kevin's shop I found him and his wife both super NICE folks, too.

Have fun checking them out

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 09-23-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:02 AM

When I bought the MGC, I called and asked if he had any spec guitars. He said that he had a MGC that was almost finished and found a crack in the back. They offered to the person that ordered it at a reduced price but he said no so he said that it was just sitting underneath a workbench. So I bought it at a great price. It was his highest grade Brazilian. Took about 2 weeks for him to finish it. At the time, he had a fellow functioning as manager. I mentioned that we were having a get together with a bunch of guitar friends in a couple weeks so he finished mine and sent another one along for people to play. I had never met most of these guys before and I was a nervous wreck as they passed that loaner guitar around. I think as soon as it made it around the circle one time, I put it back in its case.

I also owned his Cathedral prototype for maybe 10 years. It was a great guitar but really huge. Amazingly light for how big it was though. It was sitka, EIR and I think may have actually weighed less than the MGC. I regret selling that one.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Big, Warm, Full, Complex, Wide, Long sustaining, Lush, Rich, etc
Old 09-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all of you who replied. Much appreciated.

JeffMc, sent you a PM.

Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2019, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Ryan's, to me, have a deep tone that almost sounds like a well. That's probably a poor choice of words but it's just so deep and reverberant that that's what I typically think of when I hear demos of them. Deep bass and rich trebles.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-24-2019, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

I'd call them warm and rich, but words aren't very useful for describing tone. There's some variation as well, my cedar/koa Mission sounds quite different from my Spruce/Brazilian Nightingale.

I'd suggest starting by checking out recordings or demos - you can find some videos using my Ryan's on my you tube channel, and I used 2 different Missions on many tracks of my CDs. Dream guitars surely has lots of different Ryans being played on videos.

Better, tho, to play them yourself. Dream, Guitar Gallery, Luthiers Collection and others often have models in stock.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

I have an African Blackwood/Bosnian Spruce Cathedral and it is a monster. Warm, lush, round, smooth, cavernous, bassy, open, deep, etc....

Words don't mean much because they are very subjective and what they mean to one person can mean the exact same thing to another person who plays an entry level factory guitar.

When I first commissioned mine, I was able to visit a store who had 12 Ryans in stock. I also made a road trip to play as many Ryans and wood combinations as possible. I found one that stood above the rest (to my ears) and I ordered the exact same guitar.

One thing you have to consider is Ryans have a longer 25.7 scale (Abbey Parlor has a 25.5 which is long for such a small guitar). I think this adds to the projection and other physics of the guitar.

I have played many other more current Ryans with his newer bracings, bridge plates, flutes, etc, but personally I think Kevin's best guitars are from the 2005-2010 years.

Best thing to do is play them if you can. Where are you located? If you are ever near Washington DC, you are more than welcome to play mine

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-01-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post

I have played many other more current Ryans with his newer bracings, bridge plates, flutes, etc, but personally I think Kevin's best guitars are from the 2005-2010 years.
Late-comer here! Gosh Eric, I don't think Kevin would be happy to hear this! Lol!
Old 06-03-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Late-comer here! Gosh Eric, I don't think Kevin would be happy to hear this! Lol!
Somogyi wouldn't like me either because I like his early to mid 2000s models best

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop