The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I know I'm going to regret this post...however it didn't really work out well for all.

It did work out great for Ron, and that is totally fantastic.

I didn't work out that great for Juston. If you notice, the opportunity to sell the build slot isn't much of an opportunity for Juston as there isn't all that much incentive for the buyer - it doesn't come with what one usually expects when one buys a build slot; the position in the build list and the benefit of the pricing at the time the original contract was signed. The buyer gets the same slot and pricing as if they went directly. They may save a few hundred bucks, and I guess that's good if you were already planning on buying from Ray.

I think it would have been a far better business decision for Ray to refund the money (even if he took the few hundred dollars that Juston offered for time invested), or at the very least, allow the sale of the build slot to be the incentive it should be. He would have gotten great PR, worth far more than the whatever he's getting this way. And, if he is confident in his building skills (as he should be based on Ron's reaction), then he'll fill Juston's slot easily at today's pricing. In the end, Ray would have profited far more overall for turning bad press into good marketing,

In my mind, that would have been a great ending.

Please make no mistake...I am very happy at Ron's good fortune. I hope to be just as happy when my build is done. Just needed to get that off of my chest.
Mike, that thread was locked for a reason.

Now "whatever he's getting this way" is pretty much limited to your post.

Have you ever dealt with Ray may I ask? Do you hold any stake that I might be unaware of?

I hope your builder is aware that he must make you entirely happy otherwise you won't hesitate in thrashing his reputation on the AGF. I also hope you have clarified whether your fretboard inlays count as "highly personalized" in case you may want a refund.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

First, let me apologize to Ron...in no way did I mean to detract from your joy in your new guitar. Without a doubt I hope this brings you a lifetime of pleasure!

Mau, no agenda or stake. I met Ray only one time, at Woodstock, and he seemed very pleasant. I played one of his guitars, and from what I could hear (it was quite loud in there) it sounded terrific and looked awesome. That whole situation was ugly and I guess I should have kept my mouth shut (I said I might regret it!), as I am sure had Ray chosen to open up about it, my perspective might be different. Again, my apologies.

I still believe that, on a business level purely for the PR of it, letting it go would have gone a long way for Ray, and I would have applauded it, not as a "win" for Juston, but as a "high road" move on Ray's part. Perhaps in not talking about it, he did take the high road.

Anyway...to the thread at hand...Ron if you get a chance to post up some sound clips, I would love to listen.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 PM

Mike, I'm glad you reached out and you certainly owe me no apology. Our exchanges have always been positive over the years and I'm glad we can continue on the same note.

Ron, congrats on your new acquisition. Like others, I am looking forward to hearing your sound clips.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Mike, I'm glad you reached out and you certainly owe me no apology. Our exchanges have always been positive over the years and I'm glad we can continue on the same note.

Ron, congrats on your new acquisition. Like others, I am looking forward to hearing your sound clips.

Yup!

'night all!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM

So.. where are the pictures?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 AM

Hi PeteOM,

Here is the link where you can review the entire progress from start to finish of the Ray Kraut MD. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...+guitar&page=4
Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Ron, I forgot how incredible this deign is. There isn't a single element of the guitar that I don't think is stunning, from the contrasting woods in the headstock to the really cool sound port holes. I forgot it was a fan fret. I've never played one. Do you notice much of a difference when you play it?

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 AM

Hi Mike,

This is my first fan fret and I love it. The ergonomics really make a difference when it comes to the way your hand naturally wants to finger a chord. I believe the traditional fret board standards never took this into consideration. This is definitely one of the wonderful benefits of a custom guitar. The best analogy would be an off the shelf store bought suit in comparison to a custom made suit in which everything fits just right. You don't have to do or change anything about how you wear a suit. It is just so much more comfortable that you look forward to wearing it. I hope this gives you the answer you were looking for.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Ray Kraut Custom Modified Dreadnaught "WOW"

Yes Ron, thanks. Sounds like something I will want to try one day. Makes a lot of sense, as long as the scale length is still comfortable, because they are usually longer scale, right? I'm going smaller (at least in lower bout girth) because of bad shoulders, so if they are longer scale, I'm not sure if I will be able to manage it for much longer.

Thanks again!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM

My hats off to the OP on this one. A classy post on his part.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Very classy indeed... congrats and enjoy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop