The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Default Purple heart have any of you used in a build

I will start with why I ask.

Couple years back I got a little close to things that go boom in the night, I don't like going around and advertising that I am a retired Marine cause of some injuries ( its kinda hard cause i have a service dog) but I do like to have constant memories of the things i did ( for me ) I try to do this in subtle ways. A couple years ago i Got built traditional longbow that I hunt with that has a Purple Heart riser. ( when people ask why purple i tell them cause nature doesn't make a hunter green wood and purple is my second favorite color.) but just because it is named "purple heart" when i look at it, it reminds me of how lucky I am and reminds me to appreciate the all the little things in life that are often. Well I recently went back to music to help with my coping and calming. ( actually have to say that it came back a lot quicker than i though) not stage ready yet but my boys like listening and my wife doesn't send me to my shop to play anymore. my dog even likes to listen.

But to the point. soon I want to find a Luther to build me a guitar ( of course i want a great one, but i what i really want is something that is for just me to here and reflect with during hard times.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used PH wood as back, sides, fingerboard or anywhere on a guitar, and if so what shape would be best and what tone-wood would it closely resemble.

I have a j-45 moh that i like the depth and a 414 that i like the spark, ( i also prefer the ovangkal look to Rosewood) Side note to that i played a 714 that seamed to know what the next note was supposed to be so but i know once i get into a rosewood guitar I won't stop so with that said I am squirling away for the next 3 years ( I am going back to school so once i finish whatever i have in that fund that will be my limit to look for that one) but would like to get started on a custom sooner than later.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM

Default Purple heart have any of you used in a build

Purple heart can and has been used for a guitar. I've never seen one in person but have seen pics online. I have a set because I've been curious as to what sort of sound it will produce.

The color on the edge is what it will look like once it has an opportunity to sit out and oxidize. That edge has been pointed out towards the light allowing it to purple up more than the middle and other edge. It's got a nice sound when tapped and I think it'll make a great guitar. So I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with one. Good luck and post a build thread when you get it underway!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 AM

Eric Bibb has a custom Fylde Ariel with a sequoia top and purple heart back and sides:

and Megan Henwood also:

Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have personally never built with it, because there just isn't much call for it. It is mostly used to accent another type of wood.
That said, It will have a warm base tone, a bright midrange and clear trebles. I have heard that it does split easily with low humidity fluctuations.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Smile Purple Heart

Mike Baranik uses purple heart for accents on some of his guitars. In fact, I'm going to use purple heart as the accent wood on the Cocobolo/Blue Spruce Meridian he is currently building for me.

Here are a couple photos of Mike's Meridian model featuring purple heart accents:

John
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM

I think purple heart is kind of brittle. Maybe some luthiers here can tell more about it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 PM

Check with Steve at Edwinson Lutherie (another AGF sponsor, and an amazing luthier). We have this little beauty of his at our shop called "Christmas" (the prototype for his Zephyr model) with Purple Heart binding/armrest bevel:
facebook
Instagram
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM

Go for it. Should be fairly similar to rosewood in terms of tone, I think. I love this one by Dave Livermore http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/v...=10101&t=36735

There's also the Goodall Royal Hawaiian model, which I really like the look of... all koa jumbo with purpleheart bindings. There's one for sale in the classifieds right now, actually http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=288554

As for the shape and soundboard wood... that will depend on exactly what sort of sound you're after, and your chosen luthier's building style. Based on your listed guitars, maybe something of the GA/small jumbo variety, and a redwood top? It tends to have a lot of sparkle as well as power.... sort of half way between spruce and cedar.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
Eric Bibb has a custom Fylde Ariel with a sequoia top and purple heart back and sides:

AGF Feste and I spoke with Eric Bibb after a show about this guitar, and he said the body was of pink ivory, not purpleheart. Someone who has more expertise with woods can correct me if I'm wrong (and please do), but I believe these are two different woods -- not the same name for one wood -- and that pink ivory is exceedingly rare.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 AM

They are two separate guitars I think, Eire.

The pink ivory one is a baritone:
http://www.fyldeguitars.com/cg1.html

and the purpleheart was made later:
http://www.fyldeguitars.com/news0510.html
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I played a luthier built guitar with purple heart back/sides. It did not really impress me, nor seem to have anything unique/special. However, I wasn't very familiar with the builder's work so I'm not sure what to attribute to the purple heart tonewood and what to the rest of the build.

I do think it can make a nice accent wood. This rosette has purple heart in the rings inside and outside of the braid. The color ties in well with the guitar's back/side wood, which is Pernambuco.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM

I personally like the look at it, and I've always liked the sound of this clip of a Bourgeois Custom Small Jumbo with Purpleheart back and sides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_B1no7E94
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
I personally like the look at it, and I've always liked the sound of this clip of a Bourgeois Custom Small Jumbo with Purpleheart back and sides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_B1no7E94
I couldn't agree more!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
They are two separate guitars I think, Eire.

The pink ivory one is a baritone:
http://www.fyldeguitars.com/cg1.html

and the purpleheart was made later:
http://www.fyldeguitars.com/news0510.html
I stand corrected! Thank you for the info. It only emphasizes that the man sure does love his soft pink-violet tones...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop