The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Small builder? $3000/5000?
Most of the builders I've met on numerous occasions are not what I'd consider 'small', but are about average in both height & weight. I've not gotten close enough to take actual measurements off of them, but I can 'eyeball' and guestimate as well as any other luthier stalker.

Safe to say, size isnt everything when it comes to building things, especially quality guitars. Unless, of course, we're talking about something like packaged cookies where, obviously, the Keebler™ elves have pretty firm stranglehold on the market.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Most of the builders I've met on numerous occasions are not what I'd consider 'small', but are about average in both height & weight. I've not gotten close enough to take actual measurements off of them, but I can 'eyeball' and guestimate as well as any other luthier stalker.

Safe to say, size isnt everything when it comes to building things, especially quality guitars. Unless, of course, we're talking about something like packaged cookies where, obviously, the Keebler™ elves have pretty firm stranglehold on the market.
I'm a small builder and I would gladly offer my services. I'm 5'-8" and about 150 lbs of gristle. I'm thinking I would qualify!

Pat Foster would be a good builder to check out. He's a great guy and makes excellent guitars!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I received my guitar from Alan Carruth about 3 months ago. Fantastic instrument. His base price is within your budget. It all depends on what your wants and needs are.
Chuck is not exaggerating when he says fantastic instrument. In fact, I think this is an understatement. I had a chance to play Chuck's Carruth, briefly, a few weeks ago. It was really among the nicest guitars I have ever played.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 PM

Incidentally, some of the other nicest, most amazing guitars I have played have been some of the higher end Martins. And some of the others have been Goodalls. I have liked these better than many small builder guitars I have been able to play (including some guitars from some of the really high profile builders).

I guess Goodalls now are sort of small builder guitars (though the ones from Hawaii when they were a bigger operation were fabulous too - mine is from Hawaii). But the Martins are obviously not small builder guitars.

Some of the small builder guitars out there are indeed fabulous (and there are many I have not had opportunity to play). But depending on what you are looking for, some of the large builder guitars are, in my opinion, comparable to the best. So I don't think it is at all inevitable that one's quest for a fabulous guitar necessarily will have to lead to a small builder.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
I'm a small builder and I would gladly offer my services. I'm 5'-8" and about 150 lbs of gristle. I'm thinking I would qualify!
Joel,

You and I are roughly the same size except I'm a tad bit heavier. Your Aud is a perfect fit for me and I bet your Grand Aud is too.

Last edited by Sage97; 04-10-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Hooper guitars......anyone play one?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
No wonder Joel and I get along! Although I'm more of an OM...5' 6" (when it's warm out) and about 138lbs of huggable toughness!!

But, I'd recommend him to build you a guitar!!

And, someone else I will be signing on with is Chris Ensor, and he's offering a special on his new models. Not sure what's been spoken for, as I have taken the Concert model slot, but he's offering $1000 in free options to the first purchaser of one of his new models. And to clarify the offer, it's literally $1000 of any of the options off of his price list. I'm going to have an arm bevel and a bunch of other stuff added to mine. Not only that, but he's terrific to speak with, and incredibly responsive, so it would be worth a conversation.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM

Other Hats in the Ring:

Jayson Bowerman
Tony Yamamoto

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop