The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM

There a ton of great options, but I like your original suggestion of a Schenk. I have an Ophirio from Rod, and it holds it's own and then some in tone, intonation, and playability with anything I have played. The craftsmanship is superb as well. A lot depends on what you're looking for and how long you're willing to wait, too.

Another option may be Burner Guitars, I've seen and heard nothing but great things from Kyle and Paul Burner, but the wait period may be longer than youd like. I hope to have their very first PS model in my collection before too long.

Cole Clark FL2AC (Bunya Pine/Australian Blackwood)
Cole Clark Angel (Bunya Pine/Queensland Maple)
Schenk Ophirio (Adirondack/Figured Sapele)
Larrivee 00-03 SE (Sitka/Mahogany)
Cole Clark Jack Tenor UKE (All Blackwood)
Burner PS (Englemann/Cocobolo)

A few electrics, amps, pedals, etcetera, but never enough; just don't tell my wife
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM

How about a California vacation this summer? There is a great place to visit called Healdsburg. They might have some guitars to try and buy this summer. Some even in your price range.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I will throw Scott McNeil and Edward Victor into the mix. I am lucky enough to own one of each and really prize them for their tone and workmanship. Artists to be exact.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Small builder reccommendation

I can recommend Marc Beneteau (www.beneteauguitars.com) without reservation. I own several of his instruments, and for my money he builds some of the liveliest and most responsive guitars out there. Marc has been creating world-class instruments in his one-man shop in St. Thomas, Ontario for more than thirty years. I have no commercial connection other than as a completely satisfied customer.

John Allen Frink
Newark, Delaware
Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston34 View Post
Another option may be Burner Guitars, I've seen and heard nothing but great things from Kyle and Paul Burner, but the wait period may be longer than youd like. I hope to have their very first PS model in my collection before too long.
I used to recommend the Burner's based on their reputation and the ease of working with them, but now that I have actually owned one of their guitars for the last couple of months I can tell you it's everything I had hoped for and a bit more. You can read my review here

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Visiting Healdsburg or one of the other big guitar festivals (Montreal, Woodstock, etc.) is a great idea. I'd like to put in a plug for John Greven in Portland, OR. He specializes in building sonic (and visual if you like) replicas of 1930's Martins and Gibsons. Of course, being a custom builder, John could build anything else you might want. His prices are quite reasonable compared to many of the other builders mentioned in this post and he is a master builder at the top of his game.
Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM

Marc Beneteau without a doubt.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM

I will throw Dan Kugler into the hat. He is building a OOO for me right now and I think he may even be more excited about it than me sometimes!. One man operation and his starting price is actually a little below your starting budget. Dan emails me 5-10 pictures every day after he works on the guitar and I am putting together a photo album; I really look forward to these pictures arriving each day. I started the process with an hour long phone conversation with Dan and knew very quickly that we were on the same page; I have had a couple similar conversations with him since and, as mentioned, he is enjoying the experience as much as I am or more. Check out his site at www.nonameguitars.com and good luck with your search.

Marc
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM

I'd start looking at the websites of the builders listed on the right side of the AGF main page.

My experiences with Edwinson, Stehr, Woolson, Sheppard have all been wonderful but I've heard similar comments about the others.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM

This has been very gratifying to receive these comments!

The warmth and sincerity spoken here is a testament to the relationship these builders have forged with,,well, it appears the word "customer" seems somewhat inadequate.

I have spent time with each of the recommendations.
Thank you, each of you, for taking time to share your experiences.
This is what I am looking for... a guitar I can build a relationship with.
Its not just a tool or a thing to me..its a way to get the song out from within.

Again, thank you.
Tim
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
This has been very gratifying to receive these comments!

The warmth and sincerity spoken here is a testament to the relationship these builders have forged with,,well, it appears the word "customer" seems somewhat inadequate.

I have spent time with each of the recommendations.
Thank you, each of you, for taking time to share your experiences.
This is what I am looking for... a guitar I can build a relationship with.
Its not just a tool or a thing to me..its a way to get the song out from within.

Again, thank you.
Tim
I feel the same way Tim. After owning a lot of higher end Taylor I wanted to simplify and was close to buying a Recording King (which I see you have as well) for their high quality but low frills. I ended up going the custom route once I realized I could get exactly what I want for about the same price as my stock Taylor's. I'm sure some people seek out a custom builder to get a certain custom inlay look, and others want what their favorite artist has; in my case I wanted my own "signature edition" and I, again, wish you well in creating yours!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 AM

Default This model's under $5K

Here's one of Charlie Hoffman's Concerts at work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otY7bNR9nCM. My own Concert 12-fret is so straight-out beautiful it makes me cry (when I hear someone else playing it).
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM

Default Committed to Commission?

I'm not sure from your question if you are set on commissioning a guitar from a builder, or are open to checking out new or used luthier-built guitars at a reputable shop. Both have advantages. There is a great joy in working with a luthier to get just what you want; I am exceptionally happy with one I had built recently by Kent Chasson (above your price range, though.) On the other hand, I went to a local high-end shop yesterday and played a broad variety of instruments, some new and some used. Above about $3500 there wasn't a real strong correlation between the sound quality and price/builder fame. Also, it was very instructive. Even if you plan to commission a guitar, I would recommend a shopping expedition to get a better feel for the different woods, builders, sizes, options and tonal characteristics. I am totally sold on luthier-built instruments, for those who value tone and can afford the investment. Enjoy the search and good luck with the final outcome.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Honestly, I think you should visit a high end shop or festival with a lot of guitars.
Or even some local luthiers.
I am pretty lucky to have several high end shops in my area.
I have tried a lot of hand built guitars that I really wanted to love, but didn't.
These guitars were dogs or anything, but there is a lot of variation between each guitar. It's not like picking up a D18 and knowing you will get that martin sound. After trying a lot of guitars, you might find a keeper.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Has anyone played a Ken Hooper guitar? He had an article in Bluegrass Unlimited in March.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop