The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ensor View Post
Armadillo,
I can't tell you how much to charge for this guitar, but I will mention some points I consider when pricing my work. You need to consider what perspective you are coming from when pricing- either as a hobbyist or a professional trying to make a living. If you are building from the hobbyist perspective, pricing is more about reclaiming the cost of your materials and getting enough profit to build the next one. If on the other hand you are trying to support a family, feed yourself, and keep the lights on, then you need to look at pricing from a different point of view. As a professional, you not only have your cost of materials and labor, but you have the cost of running your business (taxes, electric bills, mortgage/rent, insurances, etc). All these things, as well as the fact that you have to have enough profit left over to keep food on the dinner table, are things to consider when pricing your guitars. Once you calculate your profit margin that you need from each instrument, you also need consider how many guitars you can realistically make in a year. Isn't pricing fun?!

Here is a conversation that was recently tossed around on the forum where a lot of people chimed in about pricing: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=281628
Chris, Thanks for the input. I PM'd you so not to bore everyone.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:41 AM

Nice looking pics Armadillo, keep em coming, and see if you can work up some decent soundclips. I'm keen to see the blingless ones.... Dennis
Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 AM

With that kind of work, even without a shell you won't be harmed. It's beautiful. Looking forward to pricing and soundfiles. I am coincidentally in love with abalones that work well with the wood itself and these are pretty well made.

Cheers
L Luthier GA 33VSEQ
Hofma Classical (It's bagged and stored)
Gibson LP
Gibson LP AW Supreme

Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Hello AGF Members again,
I wanted to post photos of another build finished in January. It is a Cocobolo with Master Red Cedar top with a Florentine Cutaway. It has a Cocobolo fret board with Brazilian bridge and headstock. Gotoh 510 Delta tuners with EVO fret wire, Bone nut and compensated bone saddle. Mop purling on top and bottom with Cocobolo binding. Neck is 5 piece laminated Mah-Map-EIR-Map-Mah. Give me some ideas of what you think a fair asking price would be in the forum classifieds. Don't be afraid to reply, you know how hard armadillo shells are.
That's a stunning instrument. If it plays anything like it looks, I'd pay quite a bit for it, if I had quite a bit. Don't underprice your work; I think you're gonna sell some guitars.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Very nice looking guitars Armadillo! And welcome to the forum.

It is really awkward to suggest pricing when we know little about how your guitars sound or feel. They are beautiful to look at. If the detail work at close inspection is as good as it looks in the pics with sound and playability to match I would think your guitar could easily fetch somewhere between 5 and 7K. Then again you may want to offer a lower price to sell quickly and build a little reputation. Just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeleo View Post
Hi Armadillo, I really like the design of your headstock, being I am a little further in the deep south here in Baton Rouge. You have a great talent for building guitars, so keep it up.
Yep, Hi Armadillo, and I'm in N'Awlins so can you give me a better idea of your whereabouts? I'd like to consider dropping in (call ahead a day before of course) if I get to your neck of Louisiana. Got a website?

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Default Thanks for all the wonderful comments

Thanks for all the great comments Dennis, Shawn and Buzz.

Handers; I pm'd you with some info. I want to get an AGF Sponsorship before I put my instruments for sale on the site. Will do that immediately and try to offer some up for sale in the next few weeks. I am working with a friend/musician to get sound clips done before then.

Cigarfan; Thanks for the comments. As far as the sound and feel I will tell you that I own two Olsons , Huss@ Dalton, Fender Classical, Guild, previously owned and sold, 1 Charis, 3 Taylor's, 2 Martins, 1 Gibson. In my opinion and others that have played them they are great sounding and playing instruments comparable with many higher end guitars.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 PM

Beautiful guitars. I happened to find your guitars listed on eBay. My parents live in Natchitoches, and I was there mid-March. I really wish I knew of you before then so I could have dropped by. My dad actually has been trying to find out how to contact you so he could visit about them. He doesn't really play much, but he was wanting to investigate for me! Next time I come to your area, I'll try to get in touch. I'd love to try some of your guitars out. Good luck to you.

Shane
Old 04-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I love everything about the guitar....except the headstock. A little too funky for my tastes and you could tone down the big a. It just doesn't match up with the rest of the guitar which looks quite gorgeous.

Very Olson ~ish.

It's hard to say what a guitar is worth over the net. The attention to detail up close could move it up or down quite a bit.

So to say that guitar is worth 5500-7000 if you've made less than 15 guitars does sound pretty strong.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 AM

Shane, I sent you a PM with my contact info. Thanks

JPerryrocks, Thanks for the advise, I will file it away for the future. The headstock is actually harder to make than most because of the curves. I wanted to do something that would be instantly recognizable and resemble a Fleur-de-lis, a symbol of Louisiana.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop