The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
May not be an improvement in appearance, but if the goal is just to remove the other guy’s contact info, good old White-Out might have less potential to damage the label than the eraser thing…
Thanks, Kyle - I did consider white-out, but the label is off-white and would probably look just as bad in a different way. Thanks for weighing in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
I would cut a piece off of one of these (see below) attach it to something like a bamboo chopstick, popsicle stick etc, and start out rubbing slowly and judiciously. Definitely, I’d use a similar piece of paper and pen (glossy or porous, blue, red, black etc) outside the guitar on a trial run first.
Really interesting idea! I think I might have one of those around here somewhere and might give that a shot. Cheers~
Old 06-17-2021, 09:54 AM

Back in ancient times, when pen and ink was the principle means of communication, we use to use a liquid with a dropper to “erase” unwanted ink. I think it was called “ink eradicator”. I haven’t seen any for many decades, but I haven’t been looking. If you could find some, it might help. As always, test carefully on a small and inconspicuous place.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Back in ancient times, when pen and ink was the principle means of communication, we use to use a liquid with a dropper to “erase” unwanted ink. I think it was called “ink eradicator”. I haven’t seen any for many decades, but I haven’t been looking. If you could find some, it might help. As always, test carefully on a small and inconspicuous place.
Thanks Raf. I haven't identified a specific product but was thinking of something like this as well. I'm concerned that it might have a negative effect on the label adhesive and/or the wood underneath.

Some interesting info here:

https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar...september-2003
Old 06-17-2021, 10:50 AM

I'm very skeptical that any sort of erasing product will provide satisfactory results.

One option to consider is to try and get a very high quality picture of the label, and "erase" the offending portions digitally, then make a good quality print and either place it directly over the original, or replace the original with it. I'd be a bit leary of this if you plan to resell the guitar someday, but if it's just because you don't want the guy's name and number in your guitar, it could be a good option.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Do you want your name. etc. somewhere on the guitar? If so, put it where you want it.

You might cross out the earler owner's info - with a line through - so it is still visible and readable. The line through gives a clue that that person is not the primary one to contact. Yet it might still help get the guitar back to you.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:02 PM

Help the guy become famous, and donít erase it?
Old 06-17-2021, 10:25 PM

Nova Scotia. The Maritimes.

".. and I was born between the boredom and the chowder."

As suggested, a new label will clear the mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion