The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-24-2021, 09:14 AM

wow brook guitars makes some FINE sounding instruments. How hard is it dealing with customs with them?
Old 04-25-2021, 12:57 PM

I would like to add Oliver Marchant of Marchwood Guitars to this list, based in Farnham, UK. Oliver is a young guy, almost completely self-taught, but already turning out lovely instruments. Earlier this year I bought his eleventh guitar, which is featured on his website, an OMc in European spruce and mahogany. It is a fine instrument, and quite remarkable that he has produced this in isolation. I found that buying from a young, almost unknown, luthier has a couple of advantages: you are not yet paying for the brand, and your are supporting a young artisan at the beginning and most fragile part of their journey. Admittedly I think I got lucky, because the guitar's quality belies its price.
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 04-25-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmus View Post
I would like to add Oliver Marchant of Marchwood Guitars to this list, based in Farnham, UK. Oliver is a young guy, almost completely self-taught, but already turning out lovely instruments. Earlier this year I bought his eleventh guitar, which is featured on his website, an OMc in European spruce and mahogany. It is a fine instrument, and quite remarkable that he has produced this in isolation. I found that buying from a young, almost unknown, luthier has a couple of advantages: you are not yet paying for the brand, and your are supporting a young artisan at the beginning and most fragile part of their journey. Admittedly I think I got lucky, because the guitar's quality belies its price.

Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 05-09-2021, 07:03 AM

Lesser known ?

Hard to say if Fred Tellier is a lesser known luthier. He is not into superstardom mode, and never will. Fred is a down to earth, easy going guy doing is thing (building marvelous instruments) for more than 15 years now. Regular presence on the hand made guitar shows in USA and Canada.

He is not dogmatic about style or shape, but will refuse to build a guitar he and client won’t be proud of. I know this because he is building me a third guitar. Had a SJ, Baryton, and now a parlor. Other member of the forum also have the pleasure of own Fred’s guitars.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=598160

You can have a look at is work on the Forum as he is a member here (fetellier)

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 05-12-2021, 08:12 AM

Default Caldwell

Since people are mentioning many not-really-obscure-but-stil-underrated luthiers, I'll put in a plug for my friend Jimmy Caldwell. Beautiful guitars, mostly built along vintage lines. He isn't very prolific - I think he's still working his day job.

I'm partial to Texas luthiers for obvious reasons, so I'll mention Steve Kinnaird and Ryan Middlebrook, Chris and Jeremy Jenkins of Lamehorse Guitars, and David Newton of Beaumont. All make great instruments, though they aren't all obscure. Then there's the late lamented John Allison guitars (John's still kicking but his brand is dormant - I'm not sure it would be a good idea to even try to order something). Great instruments if you can find one.

Stan
Old 05-12-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmus View Post
Very nice, he's local to me. How does it compare to your other instruments?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop