The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Such conviction Glenn. Wonderful!

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 AM

Beautiful, Glenn! Voice, picking pattern........a lot going on there when you figure that singing with love and conviction has to happen all at the same time......great job!!
Another classic.........takin' me back once again!
Thanks!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
Such conviction Glenn. Wonderful!

Mike
Thank you Mike!

I appreciate the feedback and support.

Yes, conviction. I'm guilty alright. I seem to have to dive in head first to make these songs work for me. As I was going through this song, I was thinking of this jilted lover talking about his old girlfriend, coming up with impossible demands on her before he would ever take her back. I have been there as I'm sure most of us have. It turns out that when my girlfriend wanted to come back, all those impossible demands in my head disappeared. But in the context of a song, the sentiment seems about right.

Thanks again Mike!

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Beautiful, Glenn! Voice, picking pattern........a lot going on there when you figure that singing with love and conviction has to happen all at the same time......great job!!
Another classic.........takin' me back once again!
Thanks!
Fred
Thank you Fred!

I appreciate your listening with such an intelligent ear. I appreciate your thoughtful comments.

These songs do tend to take a person back in time, but also in this case, I went back and really figured this song out in a way I had not done before. So there was a lot of new stuff here for me. Also, I was really thinking about singing this song as a solo piece, so I really immersed myself in the lyrics, thinking about what the author was feeling about his situation, his old "true love." So as I went through this, I was not hearing the Simon & Garfunkel harmony in my head; I was just hearing the author of the song express that pain of lost love. It was an interesting experience.

Thanks for your comments Fred!

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2019, 10:47 AM

I may have even got a little misty. Very nice!!

- arch
Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I may have even got a little misty. Very nice!!

- arch
Hi Arch!

Well thank you! Thanks for listening and commenting here!

It's interesting how the same song hits people in different ways, I suppose because each of our life experiences is unique, so we bring different connections to the music we listen to. Of course, there was no intent to make you misty, Arch, but if I did, I imagine it's because you have a pretty deep understanding of where the author was coming from in this song. I know I do.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments Arch!

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Another stellar video presentation of a folk classic. Thanks, Glenn.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Another stellar video presentation of a folk classic. Thanks, Glenn.
Thank you Trevor!

Glad you thought this came out okay! And I just commented on your 2001 recording, which was very well done!

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Glenn, you continue to inspire me to be a better acoustic player. What a beautiful performance and excellent recording. Great job, as always. You have such a smooth precise style and the recording reflects that so nice and clear.

And that's a gorgeous guitar! How many guitars do you own!? Nice!

Thanks for sharing,

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Glenn, you continue to inspire me to be a better acoustic player. What a beautiful performance and excellent recording. Great job, as always. You have such a smooth precise style and the recording reflects that so nice and clear.

And that's a gorgeous guitar! How many guitars do you own!? Nice!

Thanks for sharing,
Hi Marty!

Thanks so much for your generous comments! They mean a great deal coming from someone with your experience so thank you very much!

I'm glad you feel that what I played sounded good. I listen and I think -- Man! The tempo is TOO SLOW! But I suppose that's because of the tempo that Simon & Garfunkel used for their original recording, which does sound fast to me now.

Smooth and precise is good, too! Thank you! But it's funny! I hear that kind of playing from other players whose playing I admire and my own playing sounds pretty loose and undisciplined in comparison. But I do know that we often hear good things from others' playing and tend to be our own worse critics!

I have (without counting) a dozen acoustic guitars, so I have a rather ridiculous collection of very nice guitars. And they are all very good guitars, so I am extremely fortunate. (I also have some very nice electric guitars.) I should sell off some of them, but at this point in my life, I still hate to part with any of them. My wife, who appreciates all the years of hard work I put into my job and raising our family, encouraged me to buy some good guitars in recent years. And I must admit that I was very fortunate in my career choice. I was certainly fortunate in my choice of wife. We celebrate 50 years of marriage next year in 2020.

Thanks for your comments Marty! They are greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Simply beautiful

Glenn, simply beautiful. You make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for reminding to revisit this beautiful song.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plai View Post
Glenn, simply beautiful. You make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for reminding to revisit this beautiful song.
Hi Plai,

And thank you for taking the time to listen and then comment here! I am so glad you enjoyed this rendition!

Regarding making this look easy, I had the same reaction in watching the video as I was reviewing it to make sure it was okay. I thought, wow, that looks way easier than it felt inside my head while I was playing that! I have to tell you that it didn't feel particularly easy, although by the time I got the recording down, I was getting fairly comfortable with the song.

I am so glad you took the time to comment Plai!

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Marty!

Thanks so much for your generous comments! They mean a great deal coming from someone with your experience so thank you very much!

I'm glad you feel that what I played sounded good. I listen and I think -- Man! The tempo is TOO SLOW! But I suppose that's because of the tempo that Simon & Garfunkel used for their original recording, which does sound fast to me now.

Smooth and precise is good, too! Thank you! But it's funny! I hear that kind of playing from other players whose playing I admire and my own playing sounds pretty loose and undisciplined in comparison. But I do know that we often hear good things from others' playing and tend to be our own worse critics!

I have (without counting) a dozen acoustic guitars, so I have a rather ridiculous collection of very nice guitars. And they are all very good guitars, so I am extremely fortunate. (I also have some very nice electric guitars.) I should sell off some of them, but at this point in my life, I still hate to part with any of them. My wife, who appreciates all the years of hard work I put into my job and raising our family, encouraged me to buy some good guitars in recent years. And I must admit that I was very fortunate in my career choice. I was certainly fortunate in my choice of wife. We celebrate 50 years of marriage next year in 2020.

Thanks for your comments Marty! They are greatly appreciated!

- Glenn

It's interesting, when I played in bands, I was often guilty of playing too fast. I always attributed that to the energy of playing in that setting. But with my solo acoustic gigs, I actually enjoy slowing some down as you did. It just feels good to take it down to a slower groove sometimes! I do that with an old Firefall tune, Just Remember I Love You. It just feels better to me played a touch slower? I tend to play Fire & Rain slower than the original also.

And I share your good fortune of a wife that encourages me to get what I want, but you've got me on the 50 YEARS!!!! Wow! CONGRATS!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 03-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
It's interesting, when I played in bands, I was often guilty of playing too fast. I always attributed that to the energy of playing in that setting. But with my solo acoustic gigs, I actually enjoy slowing some down as you did. It just feels good to take it down to a slower groove sometimes! I do that with an old Firefall tune, Just Remember I Love You. It just feels better to me played a touch slower? I tend to play Fire & Rain slower than the original also.

And I share your good fortune of a wife that encourages me to get what I want, but you've got me on the 50 YEARS!!!! Wow! CONGRATS!
Hi Marty!

Yes, interesting comments and thoughts! Yes, I know I slow a fair number of songs down; and then some I speed up. I think we each tend to have our own internal rhythms and after so many years of playing, we sort of know what is right for us on a particular song.

And "Just Remember I Love You" from Firefall is a great song! I totally forgot about that! That would be a fun song to do! Thanks for the idea!

And I am glad you have found a great lady to hang out with through life! What a gift that is!

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2019, 02:08 PM

Glenn this is one of my favorites.
Just beautiful on all levels...
Great job!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell