The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-01-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie1971 View Post
To amplify use iRig acoustic stage. It’s a clip on digital MEMs mike and will capture the sound of your classical perfect - what you hear from your sound hole will come out of the speaker.

I can’t advise on an amp as I put the iRig through a PA atvgigs or rehearsal or through my electric guitar amp at home, but lots of buskers use a Roland Cube.
Here’s a demo of the sound to expect from iRig

https://youtu.be/9LGwsS6ZavQ
Thanks for your comment.

So the only thing I need is the iRig, a mobile amp( https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_mobile_ac.htm) and my classical guitar? And that´s it?

And what about the sound of the environment, since ill be playing in crowed areas.

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy

Last edited by bickb; 03-01-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 AM

Default Serious Small P.A / Acoustic Guitar AMp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie1971 View Post
To amplify use iRig acoustic stage. It’s a clip on digital MEMs mike and will capture the sound of your classical perfect - what you hear from your sound hole will come out of the speaker.

I can’t advise on an amp as I put the iRig through a PA atvgigs or rehearsal or through my electric guitar amp at home, but lots of buskers use a Roland Cube.
Here’s a demo of the sound to expect from iRig

https://youtu.be/9LGwsS6ZavQ

A buddy brought over his acoustic nylon with a Irig acoustic stage , it sounded great through this Mackie FreePlay P.A./ acoustic guitar amp .

I have the Irig Pro single channel XLR/TRS/line in and midi , again this FreePlay kicks serious butt with all the above plugged in .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 03-01-2018, 05:00 AM

Cool NOISE LEVEL OUTDOORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
Thanks for your comment.

So the only thing I need is the iRig, a mobile amp( https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_mobile_ac.htm) and my classical guitar? And that´s it?

Yes this would be entry level and workable .

It's only got 5 watts RMS stereo split between two speakers , so don't count on a [ LOUD ] sound in a noisy environment .
Alone at home it will work fine or a quite outdoor setting .

Out door playing has issues to deal with when it comes to noise . That is why
I chose what I have .

Check out the noise level on this street in India

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 03-01-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your comment.

And what about the sound of the environment, since ill be playing in crowed areas.
I would pointedly suggest you avoid Roland’s mobile cube AC. The Mugig BM20 is a far more satisfactory little amp, especially for the money, and bests the Mobile AC in every way I can think of.

With that in mind, I’d think you’d probably do best just starting with a Freeplay, making sure to get a pickup with hot enough output to drive the Freeplays weak instrument input. The iSolo has a 2k ohm out and should drive it ok. The irig lists no spec. The Freeplay should be easy to sell if it’s not for you and at $200, is the best battery powered amp deal you’re going to find.

I just reviewed the irig vs iSolo pickups and though they both look workable, Doug Young’s review of the iSolo has left me with the impression that it’s the one to look at, though the irig is certainly a lot of functionality for only a little money.

http://acousticguitar.com/gear-revie...obility-video/
Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Depending on your needs, the Mobile AC can work. There is at least one poster around that uses one in a duo and gets useful results. I have one that I use for hotel room shedding. It would not be my first choice for busking but it will work depending on your conditions and how much space you are trying to reach. And there are plenty of other Roland products out there that will get the job done. I can pretty much guarantee you will see for more busking musicians using Roland products than all others combined. They are readily available world wide.

Be aware that the "weak instrument input" on the Mackie has been well discussed and has caused other users to seek additional gear to solve the problem. Also be aware that the 15 lb weight of the Freeplay is sans battery and all of the other optional gear. The spec weight sans battery weight is a pretty common misleading spec on most units so if weight matters, be conscious of the type battery and what it will do to your carry weight. The good news is you have a poster with real world experience with the unit that can help you navigate the tricks.

As for guitar, the Cordoba GK Studio models or similar Cordoba models are readily available in new US at around $600. Not sure about EU though. Yamaha also has a relatively inexpensive model that is fine for plugged in work though lacking in pure acoustic sound. As you probably discovered, the pickup and preamp equipped Takamine prices out for considerably above $400 to 600. More like $1300+ US so you'd have to run across a used version to get any where close to the GK price. I am not a big Cordoba fan but I gig a GK studio and I can assure you is perfectly adequate for street and stage work. Maybe not my choice for a concert situation but that is not where we are.

I recently picked up a Fender Passport mini that I use for electric shedding. It also supports acoustic and vocals with inputs for each and tuned patches for acoustic. I find that, while not particularly loud, it sounds pretty good. At least on par with the other tiny box amps soundwise though probably not as loud as the AC. Again not my choice for stage/street work but it might work for you. A little hard to find compared to Roland though.

hunter
Old 03-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Hi,

This spring I would like to start busking on the streets and, you guessed it, I need some tips 'n tricks regarding amps(battery and small(backpack size) a must) and pickups for a classical guitar before I enter the local shop.. :P

I have an Admira Maria without any addons whatsoever.

Not sure about the budget yet, depends on what I need according to you guys

Thanks in advance!
Howzabout an undersaddle piezo and a THR10?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 AM

@hunter

Thanks for your insightful comment.

Reading this I will def. pass on the Mackie. 15 pounds is around 7 kg and thats too heavy for traveling around.

And I´m completely new to busking so I´ll just start off with a starters package

@jwayne

For a piezo Ill need someone to build it in and I think I'm passing on that one for now. Thanks for your comment.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:19 AM

This what I will think I will go with:

- iRig Acoustic stage(I've looked up the iSolo, but it's only compatible with phones, laptops and tablets 'n stuff, so I don't think that's an option - correct me if I'm wrong)

The iRig seems like a nice way to start off with and the only thing I will need is an extra cable to connect the iRig and the amp, I guess

And since the Roland is only 5watt I looked up the one Danny was talking about and that's

- Mgug amp https://www.amazon.de/Mugig-Mugig-Gi...9926435&sr=8-1

I guess you meant that one, Danny? Kinda weird it's more than half the price, so I assume that I've got the wrong one..

It's still way to cold here in Holland to busk, so I've got plenty of time to look around But the above seems OK to me and if I like it then I'll get some decent goodies :-)

Old 03-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
@hunter

Thanks for your insightful comment.

Reading this I will def. pass on the Mackie. 15 pounds is around 7 kg and thats too heavy for traveling around.

And I´m completely new to busking so I´ll just start off with a starters package

@jwayne

For a piezo Ill need someone to build it in and I think I'm passing on that one for now. Thanks for your comment.
Again depends on what you are trying to do but, for future reference, 15 lbs is pretty good. Especially for the sounds you can get with the Mackie or equivalent. The Mugig you linked is going to be on par with a Microcube or similar. I saw guys in Europe and I seem them around here busking Microcubes with electric guitar and getting the job done way better than I would have expected. So it can work. Just won't be as much volume or coverage. And the sound won't be geared toward acoustic. But it may be enough.

hunter
Old 03-02-2018, 02:10 PM

Here’s the correct Mugig amp:

https://www.amazon.com/Mugig-Guitar-.../dp/B06XYYD8FT

All due respect to Hunter but Roland only makes three battery powered amps that have any business being used in busking (AC33, KC110 and Street Cube EX). The rest are just a waste of time/money and easily beaten by their competition. Ubiquitous as they are, their popularity speaks to me in the same vein as McDonalds. Everywhere but really an expensive yet terrible example of what a hamburger can be.

This Mugig BM25 is not a whole lot better but can be bought for $69 if you wait for the inevitable sale to come up. If you’ve got less than $100, it’s unbeatable. The Freeplay is like this too. There’s nothing even close to $200 in the open market that truly competes with it.

Btw, the acoustic Yamaha Thr10 (can’t remember the exact model number) I’ve used in an open air setting (on a boardwalk for a couple of days last summer) and if you’re guitar only, it’s not a bad choice. Definitely miles ahead of the noble cube AC. It does have a heavy limiter in it though and, should you try to jerry rig a vocal through it, it’ll shut off any time you get even a touch dynamic. Guitar only though, it’s pretty good and mildly loud/present too.

On the pickup, people seem to have good things to say about both the irig and was iSolo, though the ISolo, with its acoustic guitar review seems to me to be the more professional option; I haven’t used either and so am not the right person to unequivocally say which is the right choice for you.

On the amps though, I’ve owned almost all of these options and have used them every which way. The only two I don’t have heavy use experience with, that we’ve been discussing here are the mobile Cube AC and the Street Cube EX, though I have played on the streets with both.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Here’s the correct Mugig amp:

https://www.amazon.com/Mugig-Guitar-.../dp/B06XYYD8FT

All due respect to Hunter but Roland only makes three battery powered amps that have any business being used in busking (AC33, KC110 and Street Cube EX). The rest are just a waste of time/money and easily beaten by their competition. Ubiquitous as they are, their popularity speaks to me in the same vein as McDonalds. Everywhere but really an expensive yet terrible example of what a hamburger can be.

This Mugig BM25 is not a whole lot better but can be bought for $69 if you wait for the inevitable sale to come up. If you’ve got less than $100, it’s unbeatable. The Freeplay is like this too. There’s nothing even close to $200 in the open market that truly competes with it.

Btw, the acoustic Yamaha Thr10 (can’t remember the exact model number) I’ve used in an open air setting (on a boardwalk for a couple of days last summer) and if you’re guitar only, it’s not a bad choice. Definitely miles ahead of the noble cube AC. It does have a heavy limiter in it though and, should you try to jerry rig a vocal through it, it’ll shut off any time you get even a touch dynamic. Guitar only though, it’s pretty good and mildly loud/present too.

On the pickup, people seem to have good things to say about both the irig and was iSolo, though the ISolo, with its acoustic guitar review seems to me to be the more professional option; I haven’t used either and so am not the right person to unequivocally say which is the right choice for you.

On the amps though, I’ve owned almost all of these options and have used them every which way. The only two I don’t have heavy use experience with, that we’ve been discussing here are the mobile Cube AC and the Street Cube EX, though I have played on the streets with both.
My advice to you is, saying "with all due respect" doesn't mean you are responding to someone with respect. False comparisons to McDonalds aside, Roland is out there for a reason. They are reliable and they get the job done well. If you can't get it done with a Roland, that is on you. FWIW, I have never seen a Mugig or Freeplay on the street and I see a lot of buskers.

Curious, do you own or use the Mackie Freeplay? And where are you finding one for $200?

hunter
Old 03-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
My advice to you is, saying "with all due respect" doesn't mean you are responding to someone with respect. False comparisons to McDonalds aside, Roland is out there for a reason. They are reliable and they get the job done well. If you can't get it done with a Roland, that is on you. FWIW, I have never seen a Mugig or Freeplay on the street and I see a lot of buskers.

Curious, do you own or use the Mackie Freeplay? And where are you finding one for $200?

hunter
You, I know are a person whom shares my excitement for 000 guitars and you own and know a good amp or two. That said, your attraction to lower end Roland stuff is mystifying to me, as a professional busker, and misleading, as far as newbies are concerned, with what they can expect in terms of what exactly an acceptable level of performance from a busking amp is.

We’re I to guess, I’d say that you’re not a frequent busker and that you might not have a full respect of the profession in that ‘variety/variation’. Be that as it may, we do seem to disagree often and while there’s nothing wrong with that, I’m 100% positive that I’m doing it, with all due respect Hunter, gingerly and completely respectfully. I’d appreciate your keeping to this discussion in that vein as well.

To the point, my McDonald’s comparison is not false. The fact that Roland stuff is common tells us nothing other than that they own the market segment. Illegitimately as far as I’m concerned. Vocopro owns the karaoke wireless market and Gemini owns the low end of the MI market. The ‘quality’ of these products is similar - just put your money in a blender rather than buy this I say.

Yes I own both the Mugig and a Freeplay. I’m not a huge fan of either but should I need to take a subway to play a day in the park, or at the beach, i’d take the Freeplay before I took my Loudbox Artist, my Loudbox mini, my Jam 100, my Genz Benz Compak, my Dlm 8 or any of the other stuff I could power with one of my inverters/batteries.

So yeah, I use this stuff. You?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:03 PM

Here’s the Mackie Freeplay, sold by ‘Mackie ‘Direct’ (this seller is Mackie/Loud Tech themselves) and if you offer them $175, they’ll counter with $199:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mackie-FreePl...UAAOSw0cZZlIls
Old 03-02-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Here’s the Mackie Freeplay, sold by ‘Mackie ‘Direct’ (this seller is Mackie/Loud Tech themselves) and if you offer them $175, they’ll counter with $199:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mackie-FreePl...UAAOSw0cZZlIls
Says item not available.

hunter
Old 03-02-2018, 05:29 PM

I get ‘7 sold, more than 10 available’.

Here’s one brand spankin new with full warranty for $219:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...SABEgIOH_D_BwE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification