The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2017, 04:32 PM

I really have come to like my ES2 in my newest 816. With a little tweaking it sounds as good as anything I've used (or borrowed) in the past.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
I really have come to like my ES2 in my newest 816. With a little tweaking it sounds as good as anything I've used (or borrowed) in the past.
I totally agree! The ES2 is definitely better as a stand-alone system with no external signal-processing than the Aura VT Enhance in my Martin GPC-18E.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Default me too....

I agree..I love Taylor guitars...used to own 6 of them. BUT...the ES "to my ear" is not good. I started the first year of the ES with a great beautiful 710 special edition Cocobolo back and sides..that guitar went to California not onCe but TWICE!!...before it was fixed. I will say the NEW version of the ES is to mE head and shoulders above the old one. And I think Taylors 12 fret is a great great little guitar with a big sound. I also love the "new" Taylors..especially the 600 series with the cooked tops...but...I've moved on. Not gonna say I won't own one again...but right now my Collings are working just fine. I play out with a CJ with the LR Baggs Anthem...and it sounds great. matter of fact I played last night and my wife said my guitar sounded better than she'd ever heard it sound!!!

I will say I think if Taylor would add a blend knob somewhere on the guitar...that would help their sound a great deal. You could make the Volume knob with an outer sleeve that let you choose the blend between the pick ups..I think that would be a game changer...but..I emailed them that idea...they didn't do it...

Last edited by $ongWriter; 01-22-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: words
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I agree..I love Taylor guitars...used to own 6 of them. BUT...the ES "to my ear" is not good. I started the first year of the ES with a great beautiful 710 special edition Cocobolo back and sides..that guitar went to California not onCe but TWICE!!...before it was fixed. I will say the NEW version of the ES is to mE head and shoulders above the old one. And I think Taylors 12 fret is a great great little guitar with a big sound. I also love the "new" Taylors..especially the 600 series with the cooked tops...but...I've moved on. Not gonna say I won't own one again...but right now my Collings are working just fine. I play out with a CJ with the LR Baggs Anthem...and it sounds great. matter of fact I played last night and my wife said my guitar sounded better than she'd ever heard it sound!!!

I will say I think if Taylor would add a blend knob somewhere on the guitar...that would help their sound a great deal. You could make the Volume knob with an outer sleeve that let you choose the blend between the pick ups..I think that would be a game changer...but..I emailed them that idea...they didn't do it...
The ES2 has three sensors behind the bridgesaddle and a blend knob wouldn't have any use on the system. Now, on the old ES1-based systems with the underfingerboard pickup and the top sensor(s), a blend knob, as you suggested, possibly would have improved the tone of the three versions of that system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification