The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default La Conner Guitar Show -- Hiking Anyone

I'll be attending the La Conner show (May 10, 11, 12) and was wondering if anyone would be interested in staying a few extra days for some hiking excursions in the Olympic National Park. I'm from Florida - so you can see how the appeal of "mountains" larger than 25 ft is quite thrilling

The more the merrier too. Anyway, I'm in the process of making travel arrangements and thought I would see if anyone is interested. I'm also open to sharing a hotel room to save costs or staying with someone who is in that area. But I do need to make my travel arrangements within the next 2 weeks.

If you want to talk in person - 386.444.9790
Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Even though it seems you are on a quest to gain a bit of altitude, make sure you also visit Cape Flattery. It's as different of a coastal environment to your home as it gets. The short hike through wildly figured Cedar trees is akin to a Hobbit-like foray. There are craggy cliffs and dashing waves and air so bracing you will feel refreshed for a good long while afterward. I fish and paddle there many times a year and have for decades, and never tire of the endless beauty of it all. Enjoy.

Last edited by skinnerb; 03-08-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-08-2019, 04:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

I’m staying a few extra days and my wife and i are looking for some outdoor adventures.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:15 PM

I'd dearly love to join you and would - if I were attending. The Olympics is one of my favorite parks. There's the Hoh rainforest - I one measured a cedar there at 17' diameter. No view, lush and BIG trees. You can climb Olympus from there,, but that's a 3 day hike. The Quinault and other drainages leading in from the west should be similar to the Hoh and with less people. There's Hurricane Ridge for quick access to high country. One of my favorite places there is the High Divide. You gain an appreciation for Olympus there that you do not get on the mountain itself. There is also some neat hiking along the coast, but be VERY mindful of the tidal schedule.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi John,
I'll get in touch with you. I think it'd be great fun if we could assemble a small group.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Olympic NP is great but you should also consider heading east to the Mt. Baker area. The Cascades can scratch the mountain itch in so many ways and easier to get there from La Conner.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
I'll be attending the La Conner show (May 10, 11, 12) and was wondering if anyone would be interested in staying a few extra days for some hiking excursions in the Olympic National Park. I'm from Florida - so you can see how the appeal of "mountains" larger than 25 ft is quite thrilling

The more the merrier too. Anyway, I'm in the process of making travel arrangements and thought I would see if anyone is interested. I'm also open to sharing a hotel room to save costs or staying with someone who is in that area. But I do need to make my travel arrangements within the next 2 weeks.

If you want to talk in person - 386.444.9790

To Simon and anyone interested:

A very close friend of mine owns a small motel in the Quinault area on the Olympic Peninsula...The Quinault River Inn:
http://quinaultriverinn.com/

I have spent many nights there visiting with them, and hiking in the area...it's ridiculously beautiful.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-09-2019, 01:12 PM

Simon, if you are day tripping from La Connor, be advised that the Olympic national park is actually a good distance and a ferry trip away. Better is to head the other direction into the North Cascades. How strenuous a hike do you want? I know a lot of good ones. Trail hiking? Scrambling?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:21 PM

And be aware that, while the snowpack is a bit below average this year, in early May there will still be a boatload on snow in the high country.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop